• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Short video from Blanco of before and after faces from their Roubaix team
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LFuGH5ghI

--

tumblr_mkwcmb7s3r1riicn3o2_1280.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Anyone who does Paris-Roubaix on a Penny Farthing is a cretin and shouldn't be celebrated.

Wouldn't it be better? No danger of catching your handlebars on a spectator as they would be so much higher! :D
  • frenchfighter
    Après coup, ne regrettez-vous pas d'en avoir trop fait ?
    On peut toujours regretter. Mais c'est tout de même bien d'attaquer, on n'est pas beaucoup à l'avoir fait. Tout le monde disait qu'il fallait anticiper pour battre Cancellara, mais il n'y en a pas beaucoup qui l'ont fait. Je me suis dépassé. C'est ma dernière course avant un peu de repos. Il faut tout donner sur cette course pour ne rien regretter. Certains vont dire que j'ai trop attaqué, mais c'est ça le vélo ! Il ne faut pas rester dans les roues. Je suis vraiment satisfait de ma course, j'ai tenté. C'est une belle récompense que de terminer 5ème de Paris-Roubaix.

-Gaudin. Damn right.

gaudin_pr_13_zpsb10bfbc7.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    any chance of a translation?

I was looking after the kids on Sunday so my race viewing was very interrupted, but everytime I tuned in Gaudin seemed to be churning off the front of some group or other at 60rpm. not pretty to watch but an impressive performance. plus the fact that he seems "normal" sized made me warm to him!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Crozza wrote:

I was looking after the kids on Sunday so my race viewing was very interrupted, but everytime I tuned in Gaudin seemed to be churning off the front of some group or other at 60rpm. not pretty to watch but an impressive performance. plus the fact that he seems "normal" sized made me warm to him!

There is a little thing called 'google-translate'
    Afterwards, do you regret not having done too much?
    You can always regret. But it is still good to attack, there is not much to be done. Everyone said he was anticipating to beat Cancellara, but there are not many who did. I am overwhelmed. This is my last race before a little rest. We must give everything to this race no regrets. Some will say that I too attacked, but that's the bike! Should not remain in the wheels. I'm really happy with my race, I tried. It is a reward that finished fifth in Paris-Roubaix.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Après coup, ne regrettez-vous pas d'en avoir trop fait ?
    On peut toujours regretter. Mais c'est tout de même bien d'attaquer, on n'est pas beaucoup à l'avoir fait. Tout le monde disait qu'il fallait anticiper pour battre Cancellara, mais il n'y en a pas beaucoup qui l'ont fait. Je me suis dépassé. C'est ma dernière course avant un peu de repos. Il faut tout donner sur cette course pour ne rien regretter. Certains vont dire que j'ai trop attaqué, mais c'est ça le vélo ! Il ne faut pas rester dans les roues. Je suis vraiment satisfait de ma course, j'ai tenté. C'est une belle récompense que de terminer 5ème de Paris-Roubaix.

-Gaudin. Damn right.

gaudin_pr_13_zpsb10bfbc7.jpg

He had a great ride. Even more impressive as it looked like he was using square chain rings.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Crozza wrote:

There is a little thing called 'google-translate'
    Afterwards, do you regret not having done too much?
    You can always regret. But it is still good to attack, there is not much to be done. Everyone said he was anticipating to beat Cancellara, but there are not many who did. I am overwhelmed. This is my last race before a little rest. We must give everything to this race no regrets. Some will say that I too attacked, but that's the bike! Should not remain in the wheels. I'm really happy with my race, I tried. It is a reward that finished fifth in Paris-Roubaix.

That;s a dreadful translation but you get the gist. There's more (in English) here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aggressive-gaudin-surprises-at-paris-roubaix

I thought Gaudin was magnificent. He rode the way I had hoped that Stannard would. In fact, if Stannard had ridden the race that way just imagine the reaction he'd have got on here.
  • frenchfighter
    The translation is fine. A few parts need changing but it is more or less accurate.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Really enjoyed the Sven Nys interview. I like the "Stybar is a maniac" bit too.

A few of my friends met him in a bar at Flanders, in a Santini produced white hoody with WC hoops. Legend. :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    There's more (in English) here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aggressive-gaudin-surprises-at-paris-roubaix
    I thought Gaudin was magnificent.
    The link says Gaudin “had never won a race before this season”.
    So his U-23/Espoir Paris-Roubaix win in 2007 doesn’t count?

I liked Gaudin’s performance too but Van Avermaet sort of blamed him for being dropped by Cancellara and Stybar 25 km out. Van Avermaet said something like:
    “Gaudin was between me and them and he took a curve really badly and we were suddenly 2 metres farther back again from them. I tried to catch them alone and halved the gap but couldn’t properly close up, what with no wheel to follow and the wind”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    So he lost 2m and halved the gap but couldn't get back as he didn't have a wheel to follow in the wind? Allowing for Gaudin's bike length he would have only been about 2 or 3m back, plenty of shelter there. It sounds like he just didn't have the legs and is looking to blame someone else.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    knedlicky wrote:

TBF the link does mention his win in 2007 & perhaps assumes that readers would not count as a junior race, but could have been phrased a bit better.

Liked his sprit to go off from the pack but think I'd have to say that must have taken it out of him.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • DeadCalm
    knedlicky wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    There's more (in English) here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aggressive-gaudin-surprises-at-paris-roubaix
    I thought Gaudin was magnificent.
    I guess they meant at the elite level.

Looking back at Gaudin's previous performances at PR, I guess Sunday's ride shouldn't have been a major surprise. He has ridden the elite race three times previously, coming 24th at his first attempt in 2009 when only 22. He was 16th in 2011 (only 47 seconds down on Vansummeren) and 25th last year. He can clearly ride on the cobbles.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Short video from Blanco of before and after faces from their Roubaix team
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LFuGH5ghI

They look like they aged 20 years in a day.

tumblr_mkwcmb7s3r1riicn3o2_1280.png

That's an interesting graphic. Second placed Shack rider was in the 50s - rest of them just out for a sportive?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pross wrote:
    So he lost 2m and halved the gap but couldn't get back as he didn't have a wheel to follow in the wind? Allowing for Gaudin's bike length he would have only been about 2 or 3m back, plenty of shelter there. It sounds like he just didn't have the legs and is looking to blame someone else.
    If someone in front of you leaves a gap, especially when taking a bend badly, that tends to be more than a bike length before you've gone past him. But yeah, doesnt sound like there was heaps left in the tank
  • FJS
    Nice little video by Dutch NOS television of the rear end of the peloton
    http://nos.nl/video/493569-de-achterkan ... e-hel.html
  • DeadCalm
    FJS wrote:
    That is brilliant. Thanks for posting.

Who is the Saxo guy? " Do I look alright? ......I'm f^^^ed...... The classics are hard, man."

And the footage of Cousin is priceless.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:

Who is the Saxo guy? " Do I look alright? ......I'm f^^^ed...... The classics are hard, man."
    Chris Juul Jensen. He was the final finisher I believe.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    DeadCalm wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    That is brilliant. Thanks for posting.

I THINK it's Chris Juul Jensen, who Andy McGrath interviewed for his Last Man Home feature on the Rouleur site
  • FJS
    DeadCalm wrote:

I particularly enjoyed that just before he abandons, still a pro rider in a world tour race, he's holding a whole baguette in his hand, like someone riding to a summer picknick
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    FJS wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

I particularly enjoyed that just before he abandons, still a pro rider in a world tour race, he's holding a whole baguette in his hand, like someone riding to a summer picknick

the whole thing is very 1960's
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    Thanks Rich and RR for the ID of Chris Juul Jensen.
    FJS wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Ha ha. I'd missed that. Awesome.
  • DeadCalm
    Good interview with Sebastien Piquet, the voice of Race Radio here:

http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=9293

Riding on the pavement to be banned next year, Offredo's crash and more...
  • alihisgreat
    FJS wrote:

haha that's such a cruel video! Thanks for posting.
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    FJS wrote:

Really good video, "Belleville Rendezvous"-esque
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Have you got the link to the original Flickr page for that cobbles pic Frenchie?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashred/s ... 176696991/

*tips hat*

Beautiful shots in there, thanks, FF!
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I thought Gaudin was magnificent. He rode the way I had hoped that Stannard would. In fact, if Stannard had ridden the race that way just imagine the reaction he'd have got on here.

It was an entertaining ride but did he even have a strategy other than attack, attack, attack? Clearly he was strong. I get the impression he was the battering ram for Turgot but when he dropped out of contention with a mechanical it just made Gaudin look a little tactically inept - a little bit Johnny Hoogerland.
  • alihisgreat
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It was an entertaining ride but did he even have a strategy other than attack, attack, attack? Clearly he was strong. I get the impression he was the battering ram for Turgot but when he dropped out of contention with a mechanical it just made Gaudin look a little tactically inept - a little bit Johnny Hoogerland.

I especially liked the bit where he caught the leading group after mashing it on his own for 30mins or so - then straight away hit the front and cracked on with the pace despite the fact they were obviously going to get caught, and the only reason he had caught the leading group was because they had slowed up due to this fact :roll:
  • DeadCalm
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

I agree that Gaudin did at times appear to be somewhat akin to a bull in a china shop but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for tactically inept, Johnny Hoogerland style attacks.

However, a reasonable interpretation of the interview somewhere up-thread would suggest that his strategy was to try and get as far ahead of Cancellara as possible and then hang on when the inevitable charge came. He may have executed it rather clumsily and failed in the vital 'hanging on' part but, as he said himself, at least he tried. His apparent momentary disorientation when Turgot disappeared from the group suggested that Europcar did indeed have a plan to use the two of them in tandem somehow.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

I especially liked the bit where he caught the leading group after mashing it on his own for 30mins or so - then straight away hit the front and cracked on with the pace despite the fact they were obviously going to get caught, and the only reason he had caught the leading group was because they had slowed up due to this fact :roll:

I was shouting at the TV at the time to get everyone to come and watch this man who had just bridged the gap & looked like he was on one and going to go straight past. TBF it went over everyones head & they returned to playing with their smart phones something about a peed off bird.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.