• Some of my photos from today...

8627789313_d382a104a1.jpg

8628894964_6d7de0d7b2.jpg

8628893346_edfbd4d43d.jpg

Great to see Russ Downing finish! :D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sky did about what you'd expect for a team with 3rd tier riders for the cobbles. I feel if they really want one of these kind of races they're going to need to buy the talent. For the life of me, I've never understood why Biggles was considered a challenger for these kind of races - I can absolutely see him winning an Ardennes race though.

Boonen and Cancellara are so far in front of everyone else who could they buy to realistically challenge them? The depth of their classics quad isn't a problem they're just missing a genuine star like Boonen and Cancellara. And there's only two of them in the world.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Milton50 wrote:
    Boonen and Cancellara are so far in front of everyone else who could they buy to realistically challenge them? The depth of their classics quad isn't a problem they're just missing a genuine star like Boonen and Cancellara. And there's only two of them in the world.

Get Froome and Wiggins on the pork pies, a glass of stout and a raw egg every morning, et voila! Mr Flanders and Mr Roubaix respectively. :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    If you could all drop a load of emo cycling fan posts about how this was crap and predicatable about now I'd really appreciate it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Get Froome and Wiggins on the pork pies, a glass of stout and a raw egg every morning, et voila! Mr Flanders and Mr Roubaix respectively. :wink:

I think Wiggins could do well at Roubaix if he put his mind to it. I can't see him winning as he doesn't have a wining trick, i.e. he can't sprint like Boonen or accelerate like Cancellara, plus he doesn't really have any experience of riding one day races to win. But if he could stay up the front long enough without crashing or missing moves then I think he's probably one of the few guys who could produce enough watts to stay on Cancellara's wheel when he really drops the hammer.

Tony Martin could be another for obvious reasons.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Milton50 wrote:

Ahhh, but you see, they don't have a tier 2 rider. They has Flecha, but he's gone now. So the best on their squad now are a rung further down.

The obvious person to hire is Sep V.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Ahhh, but you see, they don't have a tier 2 rider. They has Flecha, but he's gone now. So the best on their squad now are a rung further down.

The obvious person to hire is Sep V.

I'm not sure they care about the cobbled classics enough to buy top talent in
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Vanmarcke deserves so much credit for the way he rode. Perhaps controversially I'm going to credit Eisel as well, he knew that hanging on to Cancellara's wheel would at least place him at the right point for selection with 30-40km to go. I don't think he had the legs to go any further in terms of a podium but he was smart enough to be there up to the point he ran out of gas. It's a pity he didn't pass that tip on to Thomas who spent so much time in clown mode tripping up the rear of the field.

I'm a bit disappointed with Stannard and I feel sorry for Van Summeren who was in the shake up but punctured I think. I don't have a big view on spectatorgate other than cyclists getting entangled with spectators is almost as old as the sport itself. Maybe the thing to do is plough the verges like they've done in the Arenberg so that the riders are forced to ride the cobbles. Seems appropriate bearing in mind that it's a cobble you get if you win.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    On the debate over spectators being too close / riders riding off the road personally I think the riders should be forced to ride the cobbles, it's what makes the race the greatest one day race there is. I liked the ploughed margin in Arenberg, keeps fans a few feet away and stops the riders taking the smoother option. To suggest it is a sign of weakness though is ridiculous, no one in their right mind is going to take a harder option than they have to. I think we probably also can't begin to understand how hard it must be to race on those 'roads' and the concentration required. I don't think a bit of rope and ploughing to keep riders and fans apart will damage the atmosphere at all. Riders also have to use common sense though, you see them take ridiculous risks in Flandrian races in particular but also early in P-R with pavement hopping to move up a few places.

I was impressed with the Bretagne team again today, they like to get riders involved and are a bit like the Vacansoleil team of a couple of years back. Hopefully they are earning more invites to big races.
  • Yellow Peril
    Pross wrote:
    On the debate over spectators being too close / riders riding off the road personally I think the riders should be forced to ride the cobbles, it's what makes the race the greatest one day race there is. I liked the ploughed margin in Arenberg, keeps fans a few feet away and stops the riders taking the smoother option. To suggest it is a sign of weakness though is ridiculous, no one in their right mind is going to take a harder option than they have to. I think we probably also can't begin to understand how hard it must be to race on those 'roads' and the concentration required. I don't think a bit of rope and ploughing to keep riders and fans apart will damage the atmosphere at all. Riders also have to use common sense though, you see them take ridiculous risks in Flandrian races in particular but also early in P-R with pavement hopping to move up a few places.

I was impressed with the Bretagne team again today, they like to get riders involved and are a bit like the Vacansoleil team of a couple of years back. Hopefully they are earning more invites to big races.

Their management must be really pleased with them, I don't think we've seen the last of them.
    @JaunePeril

• cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Just finished watching the race as was out earlier... :(

What a cracking race and great to see a sprint finish on the veledrome. Spartacus played it perfectly with his tactics to apply his power at just the right moment to make the selection. Blanco and quickstep also rode well and pleased for Terpstra and Vanmarke.

If I was Sky I would sack the whole classics team, what a waste of time. Apart from Haymen in the early break there were all pretty inept. EBH once again was up with the front till it really mattered, G needs to learn how to position himself in a bunch to avoid accidents and Eisel made a tactical mistake marking Fabu when he was sandbagging at the team car. I just hope JTL gets a free run at the ardennes and isnt riding for EBH
  • Yellow Peril
    Cogidubnus wrote:

What a cracking race and great to see a sprint finish on the veledrome. Spartacus played it perfectly with his tactics to apply his power at just the right moment to make the selection. Blanco and quickstep also rode well and pleased for Terpstra and Vanmarke.

If I was Sky I would sack the whole classics team, what a waste of time. Apart from Haymen in the early break there were all pretty inept. EBH once again was up with the front till it really mattered, G needs to learn how to position himself in a bunch to avoid accidents and Eisel made a tactical mistake marking Fabu when he was sandbagging at the team car. I just hope JTL gets a free run at the ardennes and isnt riding for EBH

Absolutely the way EBH went backwards when in third wheel in the RVV showed he doesn't have the hill form. I think he would be a bad choice to be expected to be leading the team on the approach to the Muur de Huy. Far better JTL gets a crack. Will they bring in Froome and Porte for the Ardennes?
    @JaunePeril

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Cogidubnus wrote:

How many opportunitys does one man need? Nobody at Sky should ride for EBH again. He's sh*t. (not sh*t but you know what I mean). Gerraint needs Stabalisers, Stannards great but his form dipped just as the real classics started, which was a shame. Fabu need's a team, praps Sky will get their wallets out again - will be the only way they win on cobbles any time soon.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fabu need's a team, praps Sky will get their wallets out again - will be the only way they win on cobbles any time soon.

If that happens, I hope it's on a day I'm wearing tena pants as I'm sure I'd wee myself laughing
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    With EBH I think they should just let him do his thing on his own. If hes on form then its a bonus and if he's not the rest of the team haven't been wasted
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Milton50 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sky did about what you'd expect for a team with 3rd tier riders for the cobbles. I feel if they really want one of these kind of races they're going to need to buy the talent. For the life of me, I've never understood why Biggles was considered a challenger for these kind of races - I can absolutely see him winning an Ardennes race though.

Some years ago theyd say the same thing on Contador and Schleck.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Absolutely the way EBH went backwards when in third wheel in the RVV showed he doesn't have the hill form. I think he would be a bad choice to be expected to be leading the team on the approach to the Muur de Huy. Far better JTL gets a crack. Will they bring in Froome and Porte for the Ardennes?
    It's all about the Colombians. Uran's a consistently good one day performer and Henao might be even better. I reckon one of them is going to win LBL.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    symo wrote:
    Shouldn't be allowed a 30-40 second sticky bottle at the front of the race either. :roll:

Write a letter.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's all about the Colombians. Uran's a consistently good one day performer and Henao might be even better. I reckon one of them is going to win LBL.

I love Fleche Wallone. I like the way it comes down to a climbers drag race up the Huy. You are right about the Columbians though, they could put out their uber climbing squad for a one day MTF finish in F-W
    @JaunePeril

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    Fabu need's a team, praps Sky will get their wallets out again - will be the only way they win on cobbles any time soon.

If that happens, I hope it's on a day I'm wearing tena pants as I'm sure I'd wee myself laughing

If he goes to Sky then I will probably stop watching as much. I don't think there is any chance of him going there because he has too much passion for the sport but you never know.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Pross wrote:

Their management must be really pleased with them, I don't think we've seen the last of them.
    Apart from Europcar (who are a shoe-in anyway) they were easily the most aggressive of the TDF wildcard hopefuls. Did anyone even realise Sojasun or NetApp were riding? And Cofidis were only noticeable due to their ghastly helmets.
  • frenchfighter
    EBH is a good rider but he lacks the killer instinct and winner mentality. Sky is too cosy for him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I think Wiggins could do well at Roubaix if he put his mind to it.
    Wink or not, Eki knows what’s what. Wiggins is too much of a lightweight to succeed at Flanders or elsewhere similar. Froome might have the build to make use of a few extra kilos but I'm not sure he has the acceleration and power (or up to now nouse) needed at P-R.
  • frenchfighter
    Not today Benson. Was expecting more.

@dnlbenson Weird feeling that today could be @taylorphinney's date with destiny. This is Taylor-made for him. #parisroubaix
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    knedlicky wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I think Wiggins could do well at Roubaix if he put his mind to it.
    Wink or not, Eki knows what’s what. Wiggins is too much of a lightweight to succeed at Flanders or elsewhere similar. Froome might have the build to make use of a few extra kilos but I'm not sure he has the acceleration and power (or up to now nouse) needed at P-R.

He came 25th in Roubaix in 2009. I'm sure he wouldn't have any problems piling on a few kilos :wink:
    Not an outright person to go for the win certainly, but am sure he could put in a very decent race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    On Cnews ticker it says the following. I missed this particular part and am wondering whether those that saw it could confirm it being this way? If so I am very confused at the tactics of those guys and if it was done on purpose by Cancellara that is super stuff.

-Cancellara looks cooked. He's at the team car and even though he's being marked he looks to be in trouble.
    -Half the group went back to the Shack car with Cancellara, they were that worried about marking him, but they may have lost the race now.
    -The Cancellara group look in trouble and the RadioShack rider, if he has anything left, needs to make a move on the next section of cobbles.
    -The two lead groups reform but behind Cancellara attacks and drops Terpstra, Boom and Eisel. That was a great move.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:

If he goes to Sky then I will probably stop watching as much. I don't think there is any chance of him going there because he has too much passion for the sport but you never know.

Well that's an utterly irrelevant reason but anyway...

It would actually be a very good fit. Sky could let him concentrate on the classics and provide him with a good enough team to control the races where necessary (e.g. as RSNT did in Flanders). And then he could pull Froome/Porte/whoever along the valley floors in the tours and pick up the odd prologue win.

Win/Win for both sides!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    “I was in another world of riding! I still don’t know how I did it. I was dropped and pretty far back but then I started to move up. This is a race you can never give up on until the end. I had to play with him in the end because I tried to go away but he followed so then I knew it was man against man. I’m happy for the team and for me. Now I look forward to rest and a holiday. Mission accomplished,” Cancellara said “It’s amazing having a third victory. When I see how in this race everyone was against our team, against me, I just had to do a selection. The team came into a little bit of difficulty because we lost a few guys because of bad luck. But that’s Roubaix. It’s always nice to win alone but today there was pure fighting until the very end. I could not believe it when I crossed the finish line. My legs and my head wanted to bring me here.”

In the car for Fabian was 1988 Paris-Roubaix winner and team director Dirk Demol, encouraging Cancellara and reminding him he was the best: “I was nervous the whole day. We knew what we were facing. We knew we had the best rider and best team. But I told the guys this race wasn’t only for Fabian, it was for the whole team. We weren’t riding for second place, only the victory. I know Vanmarcke very well. He’s from my neighborhood and I knew he would be a fighter. I told Fabian to ride to keep him working and not make any mistakes. He had to stay focused as we knew Vanmarcke could do a good sprint. It was too bad Stybar crashed. This was perfect for him. But this time others had the bad luck and we had the good. That’s the way it goes in Roubaix. Fabian feels this race. That really helps in a race. He’s good at that. Really good.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is advertising an electical retailer somehow more passionate that advertising a TV company?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone know when the Paris Roubaix espoirs takes place?
    Contador is the Greatest