Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Phinney has won the Roubaix espoirs twice so should be performing at the elite level. Should do eventually I suspect.

It' s interesting to look at the winners of the Espoirs.

Practically none of them have gone on to be great cobble riders. Popo FFS
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited April 2013
    iainf72 wrote:
    Phinney has won the Roubaix espoirs twice so should be performing at the elite level. Should do eventually I suspect.

The year before Popo's win is quite interesting. See who came 3rd and the 2 that beat him.

Same for LBL espoirs, not exactly a list of current Ardennes classics favourites.
    Tellingly, Van Summeren won LBL espoirs, but is nowhere on the Paris-Roubaix espoirs palmares!

For most on those espoirs race winners it's not so much that they haven't turned into great cobbles riders - most just haven't turned into great riders at all. I imagine they can still ride cobbles well - as domestiques...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    FJS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The year before Popo's win is quite interesting. See who came 3rd and the 2 that beat him.
    Boonen on the same time as Voeckler as well suggesting that Tommy out-sprinted Tom...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Only True Champions and certified heavyweights:

“I tried to play the game on the track, the last thing I wanted to do was lose in a moment like that,” Cancellara said. “We did it like a track stand. The only moment I was a bit scared was when it went slow on the banking, but I tried just to do it. I had the full cramps all over and then I just pedalled as hard as I could.”

“I was probably just happy that the race was finished and that the fight was finished,” Cancellara said. “I could just sit on the grass and breathe and come back to planet Earth. This last hour was just pure fighting and I damaged myself like never before.”

“I went over my limits like never before to cross the line first today,”

“Personally, I don’t like to say [Boonen's]s stronger or I’m stronger. I just think that we’re the greatest riders of the last few years in these races."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    We had a similar discussion a week or so about riders that show great promise at a young age. With some notable exceptions it's not always a very good signal as to who will excel when they reach the adult peloton. For every rider that showed great promise as a junior and went on to reach the top in the adult sport there are many more who failed to match their promise or who simply disappeared without trace.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I seem to remember an article on inrng a while back looking at previous winners of the junior world champs road race and tt. The conclusion seemed to be that winning the RR didn't necessarily mean anything, but winning the TT seemed to be a pretty good predictor for future success (although not necessarily as a TTer).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Just watched the race and really enjoyed it. A really great finish, great to see FC back in winning form.
  • frenchfighter
    Juniors. Tao not wearing gloves, just like Sep.

pedersen_pr_j13.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    CT photos are up and worth a look:
    http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/p ... d-in-time/
    CORVOS_00021050-094.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    That photo shows the difference a bike length can make to a person!
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting to see how light most of these riders are. Boonen is 82kg but then Petegem was 70kg.

Paris-Roubaix 2013 Results
    SUI 1 CANCELLARA, Fabian (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 5:45:33 81kg
    BEL 2 VANMARCKE, Sep (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) ?kg
    NED 3 TERPSTRA, Niki (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 31 74kg
    BEL 4 VAN AVERMAET, Greg (BMC RACING) 72kg
    FRA 5 GAUDIN, Damien (EUROPCAR) 79kg
    CZE 6 STYBAR, Zdenek (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 39 68kg
    NED 7 LANGEVELD, Sebastian (ORICA GREENEDGE) 68kg
    ESP 8 FLECHA GIANNONI, Juan Antonio (VACANSOLEIL-DCM) 72kg
    NOR 9 KRISTOFF, Alexander (KATUSHA) + 50 ?kg
    FRA 10 TURGOT, Sébastien (EUROPCAR) ?kg
    AUS 11 HAUSSLER, Heinrich (IAM CYCLING) 71kg
    AUT 12 EISEL, Bernhard (SKY PROCYCLING) 78kg
    BEL 13 WYNANTS, Maarten (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) ?kg
    NED 14 BOOM, Lars (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) 81kg
    DEN 15 BRESCHEL, Matti (SAXO-TINKOFF) 68kg
    BEL 16 LEUKEMANS, Björn (VACANSOLEIL-DCM) 66kg
    FRA 17 CHAINEL, Steve (AG2R LA MONDIALE) ?kg
    NED 18 TJALLINGII, Maarten (BLANCO PRO CYCLING) ?kg
    FRA 19 CHAVANEL, Sylvain (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) 70kg
    BEL 20 VANDENBERGH, Stijn (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) 84kg
    ITA 21 PAOLINI, Luca (KATUSHA) + 1:00 66kg
    ITA 22 POZZATO, Filippo (LAMPRE-MERIDA) + 2:52 73kg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Won't get a winner under 60 kilos any time soon, if ever.
  • rick_chasey
    We had a similar discussion a week or so about riders that show great promise at a young age. With some notable exceptions it's not always a very good signal as to who will excel when they reach the adult peloton. For every rider that showed great promise as a junior and went on to reach the top in the adult sport there are many more who failed to match their promise or who simply disappeared without trace.

Tell me about it.

Sh!t hot at school.

Now I moderate a bloody bike forum for free.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    emadden wrote:
    Ive just watched that Vandenbergh crash 20 times and my conclusion is that he DID NOT hit the spectator. It seems to me that he had to move off the grass verge slightly and appears to have caught his wheel, causing it to highside him. No matter how many times I look at it, I just cant see an impact with the spectator... Even after he is on the way down, there is no movement from the spectator. If there had been an impact there wouldve been some reaction from the spectator...

Anyone see this, or are my eyes playing games? Any interviews with Vandenbergh out there that may shed light
    Definitely looks to me like there was contact, Vandenbergh's bars appear to hit the spectator and twist around.
  • rick_chasey
    thegibdog wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Ive just watched that Vandenbergh crash 20 times and my conclusion is that he DID NOT hit the spectator. It seems to me that he had to move off the grass verge slightly and appears to have caught his wheel, causing it to highside him. No matter how many times I look at it, I just cant see an impact with the spectator... Even after he is on the way down, there is no movement from the spectator. If there had been an impact there wouldve been some reaction from the spectator...

Anyone see this, or are my eyes playing games? Any interviews with Vandenbergh out there that may shed light
    Definitely looks to me like there was contact, Vandenbergh's bars appear to hit the spectator and twist around.

Lefevre says there was contact, so I'll take his word for it.
  • frenchfighter
    Big respect to Sep. He came to race and did just that again and again. Great viewing from him. His pain faces in the last 15km are strong. Didn't ride wheels and shadow like Eisel for a moment.

sep.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    From the recon:
    8625572284_1b6923dc5e_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Big respect to Sep. He came to race and did just that again and again. Great viewing from him. His pain faces in the last 15km are strong. Didn't ride wheels and shadow like Eisel for a moment.

sep.jpg

Tempted to say he'll be new the Hoste.

Face of a farmer, Belgian, only comes out when cobbles are about.

Only I think he might win stuff.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    From the recon:
    8625572284_1b6923dc5e_b.jpg

Another great pic. At race pace the TV cameras struggle to reflect just how uneven the surface is, I've never seen an overhead still like that before.
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, Gruber is superb.

His shot of Arenberg cobbles:
    8625572866_618cddd4d8_b.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    IMG-0442_2926411.jpg
    Look at the difference between Endura rider's leg and VS rider's:
    IMG-0759_2926426.jpg
    IMG-1110_2926450.jpg
    IMG-1058_2926443.jpg
    http://www.teamsky.com/gallery/0,27401, ... 38,00.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would be happy with the front leg but the guy behind is a beast!
  • graeme_s-2
    Have you got the link to the original Flickr page for that cobbles pic Frenchie?
  • Won't get a winner under 60 kilos any time soon, if ever.
    Another argument in favour of a women's Paris–Roubaix. :)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    tumblr_mkx1u4dUVa1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    ThomThom wrote:
    tumblr_mkx1u4dUVa1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg

Anyone who does Paris-Roubaix on a Penny Farthing is a cretin and shouldn't be celebrated.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Black_Sheep_36er-850-65.jpg

Blacksheep 36er would be awesome for pave IMO - meets the UCI rules for having 2 wheels of the same size too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • frenchfighter
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Have you got the link to the original Flickr page for that cobbles pic Frenchie?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smashred/s ... 176696991/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    Some interesting background there. The way Harmon was talking on Eurosport it sounded like P-R was his first road race and he'd never ridden a bike for more than an hour before.

Thanks for the flickr link ff.