Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Anyone know when the Paris Roubaix espoirs takes place?
    The end of May.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    If he goes to Sky then I will probably stop watching as much. I don't think there is any chance of him going there because he has too much passion for the sport but you never know.
    Is advertising an electical retailer somehow more passionate that advertising a TV company?

Nope but then the sponsor has little to do with the aspects I am referring to.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyone know when the Paris Roubaix espoirs takes place?
    The end of May.

Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2013
    mroli wrote:
    Has anyone posted about Junior Paris Roubaix yet?
    I saw there was a van Hooydonck on the podium (cousin apparently) and an elaborately named Brit
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Oh my. What class. Oh my.

Glad I am a Fabu backer and really pleased he can take a third stone home.

He played that one to perfection and showed tactical prowess as well as power. Was worried that Sep would have him in the sprint but not so.

Brilliant race.

Paris-Roubaix 2013 Results
    SUI 1 CANCELLARA, Fabian (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) 5:45:33
    BEL 2 VANMARCKE, Sep (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    NED 3 TERPSTRA, Niki (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 31
    BEL 4 VAN AVERMAET, Greg (BMC RACING)
    FRA 5 GAUDIN, Damien (EUROPCAR)
    CZE 6 STYBAR, Zdenek (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 39
    NED 7 LANGEVELD, Sebastian (ORICA GREENEDGE)
    ESP 8 FLECHA GIANNONI, Juan Antonio (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    NOR 9 KRISTOFF, Alexander (KATUSHA) + 50
    FRA 10 TURGOT, Sébastien (EUROPCAR)
    AUS 11 HAUSSLER, Heinrich (IAM CYCLING)
    AUT 12 EISEL, Bernhard (SKY PROCYCLING)
    BEL 13 WYNANTS, Maarten (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    NED 14 BOOM, Lars (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    DEN 15 BRESCHEL, Matti (SAXO-TINKOFF)
    BEL 16 LEUKEMANS, Björn (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    FRA 17 CHAINEL, Steve (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    NED 18 TJALLINGII, Maarten (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    FRA 19 CHAVANEL, Sylvain (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    BEL 20 VANDENBERGH, Stijn (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    ITA 21 PAOLINI, Luca (KATUSHA) + 1:00
    ITA 22 POZZATO, Filippo (LAMPRE-MERIDA) + 2:52
    USA 23 PHINNEY, Taylor (BMC RACING) + 3:13
    GER 24 SIEBERG, Marcel (LOTTO BELISOL)
    NED 25 SINKELDAM, Ramon (ARGOS-SHIMANO)
    FRA 26 LE BON, Johan (FDJ) + 3:17
    FRA 27 MONDORY, Lloyd (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    GER 28 DEGENKOLB, John (ARGOS-SHIMANO) + 3:29
    FRA 29 PETIT, Adrien (COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS)
    GER 30 WAGNER, Robert (BLANCO PRO CYCLING)
    ITA 31 GUARNIERI, Jacopo (ASTANA PRO TEAM)
    ITA 32 SABATINI, Fabio (CANNONDALE PRO CYCLING)
    GER 33 KLUGE, Roger (NETAPP - ENDURA)
    SUI 34 SCHÄR, Michael (BMC RACING)
    NOR 35 HUSHOVD, Thor (BMC RACING)
    NED 36 VEELERS, Tom (ARGOS-SHIMANO)
    ESP 37 VENTOSO ALBERDI, Francisco José (MOVISTAR TEAM)
    BEL 38 KEISSE, Iljo (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    ITA 39 BANDIERA, Marco (IAM CYCLING)
    FRA 40 MALACARNE, Gael (BRETAGNE - SECHE ENVIRONNEMENT)
    SUI 41 ELMIGER, Martin (IAM CYCLING)
    FRA 42 HINAULT, Sébastien (IAM CYCLING)
    BEL 43 ROELANDTS, Jurgen (LOTTO BELISOL)
    BEL 44 DE BACKER, Bert (ARGOS-SHIMANO)
    FRA 45 MINARD, Sébastien (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    BEL 46 KEUKELEIRE, Jens (ORICA GREENEDGE)
    NOR 47 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (SKY PROCYCLING)
    GER 48 THURAU, Bjorn (EUROPCAR)
    RUS 49 GUSEV, Vladimir (KATUSHA) + 3:32
    BEL 50 VAN SUMMEREN, Johan (GARMIN SHARP)
    GBR 51 STANNARD, Ian (SKY PROCYCLING)
    AUS 52 HAYMAN, Mathew (SKY PROCYCLING)
    NZL 53 ROULSTON, Hayden (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 6:07
    BEL 54 DEVOLDER, Stijn (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD) + 6:11
    BEL 55 STEEGMANS, Gert (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    POL 56 BODNAR, Maciej (CANNONDALE PRO CYCLING)
    BEL 57 BOECKMANS, Kris (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    USA 58 FARRAR, Tyler (GARMIN SHARP) + 8:37
    ESP 59 ROJAS GIL, Jose Joaquin (MOVISTAR TEAM) + 10:27
    GRE 60 TAMOURIDIS, Ioannis (EUSKALTEL EUSKADI)

Lars Bak not even on that list.

Sky nowhere, oh well. Money doesn't buy wins in the Classics, passion and power does. G-man also needs to practice not crashing so much.

I know they are roughly the same age but I was disappointed with Phinney (he didn't seem to affect the race at all) and pleased with Johan Le Bon even though he finished a few seconds behind Phinney. I guess it's down to levels of expectation.

I know it's fun to bash Sky in the classics but how poor were Garmin? I gather JVS punctured at an inopportune moment but, still, their best placed rider in 50th!
  • frenchfighter
    Phinney has won the Roubaix espoirs twice so should be performing at the elite level. Should do eventually I suspect.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ThomThom, what happened to your boy? One hit wonder?

bak_zpsb754f7ee.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    RichN95 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Has anyone posted about Junior Paris Roubaix yet?
    I saw there was a van Hooydonck on the podium (cousin apparently) and an elaborately named Brit

Google Translate of an article in German re Junior Roubaix. Slapping one's companions. That's simply not cricket!
    As in 2012, went on to win a Dane, Mads Pedersen. He slapped at 128.3 Km his two companions on the open track of Roubaix in the sprint for the win this classic. Second was the Belgians Nathan Van Hooydonck and third in the British Tao Geoghegan came to the finish. The junior started visibly 3 hours before the elite drivers and enjoyed the large crowds at the Pavéstreckenabschnitten. Total of 62 drivers were classified.
  • frenchfighter
    Go Tao! Very impressive for that lad from London.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I'm hoping to see some analysis of the actual race/tactics rather than having the thread dragged into the gutter...
    Not exactly a discussion of tactics (I’ve already commented on Vanmarcke’s lack of, during the track finish, in a post above), rather some general comments:

Roelandts was ridiculously over-fancied.

Wondered why Steegmanns was in the first break after only 20 km, but thought OPQ deserved their 3rd place (with Tepstra) for their efforts and performances overall during the day (Tepstra, Stybar, Vandenbergh, Chavanel, Steegmanns). As far as I noticed, they were the team most represented in breaks, so the most aggressive/ambitious.

Cancellara’s bridging the gap alone to the front group was very impressive, but Tepstra did the same shortly afterwards, although it wasn’t really caught on camera.
    Stybar was unlucky, but glad to see a cyclo-crosser up there in contention (like FF mentions, maybe that explains why he didn’t actually fall after the spectator incident. Or, in addition, at the bend he thereafter took badly)
    Strong ride from Vandenbergh overall – he was visible up front as from as early as when they reached the first cobbles - no wonder his concentration later laxed, resulting in his crash.
    Chavanel suffered a defect which threw him right back, but he continued to look strong although well back.

Perhaps Argos-Shimano should have done better since three of their team have won the U-23 Paris-Roubaix. Maybe Sinkeldamm for another year? For a moment he went clear with Phinney.

Maybe Turgot might have been up there except for a defect, probably what EUC were aiming at (two riders up front as the finish got closer). The other EUC rider, Gaudin, did a good ride too, if sometimes with random over-optimistic moments. He importantly had the nouse to move up front at the right moment (shortly before Mons-en-Pevele, to join Steegmans, Hayman and Schär, all of whom then fell away).

Good result for Blanco, learning-curve for Vanmarke, Rabobank must have some slight regrets about missing out on the publicity.

Cancellara rode with more brains than several teams put together, his holding back and then his power moves at different but appropriate moments. Much as I would have liked the outsider Vanmarcke to win, and think he had the opportunity to have done so but timed it wrong, I think Fäbu still deserved it.
    FF’s Post of a Cancellara impersonation captures what Fäbu did today - he did the right thing at the right moment.

Glad for all those who made it to the finish, though feel sorry for last man home, Stamsnijder, 46 mins later, because he was ruled outside the time limit; disappointed that a number of potentially good riders today not only didn’t show themselves but didn’t finish (unless there were valid reasons), e.g. Bak and especially Iglinskiy; wondered why Visconti was dq-ed (the only one).

I don’t particularly like Sky, and there is some disappointment expressed here about them, but as far as I noticed, apart from Omega Pharma-Quick-Step, the most active team in breaks seemed to be Sky, followed by Orica-GreenEdge, Blanco, Astana and Lotto Belisol.
    And with Eisel, Sky did get a better result than either Astana or Lotto - he finished 12th, 50 secs back. Good for him too, to get out a bit out of the Cav shadow; one-dayers was once his forte/reputation.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Phinney has won the Roubaix espoirs twice so should be performing at the elite level. Should do eventually I suspect.

As I said this morning on twitter, Roubaix is generally a race that rewards experience rather than youthful vigour. Though I was hoping that Phinney would at least be visible, but Roubaix's so unpredictable, puncture at the wrong time or get caught behind even a small crash and bang, your race is over. I'm sure we'll see him in the mix in the future.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Just finished watching the race having recorded it. Bloody loved it.

Great guts from Canc and fair play to Sep for running him so close. Really seemed to play it well by leading into the cobbled sections near the end. I thought he was going to do it until Fabu got him on the front in the velodrome.

By comparison I can't get excited about the Ardennes stuff coming up.
  • DeadCalm
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Just seen the interview with Sep Vanmarcke on ITV4, he was in tears the poor guy. Hopefully he'll be able to appreciate his second place at some point.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Thor's hand - http://instagram.com/p/X0Q25KoJ-f/

OWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    On Cnews ticker it says the following. I missed this particular part and am wondering whether those that saw it could confirm it being this way? If so I am very confused at the tactics of those guys and if it was done on purpose by Cancellara that is super stuff.
    -Cancellara looks cooked. He's at the team car and even though he's being marked he looks to be in trouble.
    -Half the group went back to the Shack car with Cancellara, they were that worried about marking him, but they may have lost the race now.
    -The Cancellara group look in trouble and the RadioShack rider, if he has anything left, needs to make a move on the next section of cobbles.
    -The two lead groups reform but behind Cancellara attacks and drops Terpstra, Boom and Eisel. That was a great move.
    When Cancellara went back to the team car, as I remember it, fairly late on, maybe 30-50 km to go, he didn't look in trouble, and a few mins later, not 1-2 mins more like 5-6 mins, he did then make an attack.
    What was noticeable was that those who could have made an attack when Cancellara was having a chat didn't do so, for whatever reason. But I wouldn't say that they went back to his teamcar with him, they stayed 10-30 m in front.
  • frenchfighter
    knedlicky wrote:
    Good analysis

Don't you just love Roubaix because there are so many things going on at once, so many developments and so many changes of fortune.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    What bemused me was the tactics of the guys in the various groups Fab was in. He was the nailed on favorite, yet every group worked with him, almost taking him to the finish. I love the guy but if he had caught the group I was in I would have made him work on the front. If he had not, the following group would have joined, including my team mate. If he had, I would have sat on his wheel and let him do all the work. Thats what they did to Merckx. Its racing common sense.

Glad he won though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    knedlicky wrote:
    On Cnews ticker it says the following. I missed this particular part and am wondering whether those that saw it could confirm it being this way? If so I am very confused at the tactics of those guys and if it was done on purpose by Cancellara that is super stuff.
    -Cancellara looks cooked. He's at the team car and even though he's being marked he looks to be in trouble.
    -Half the group went back to the Shack car with Cancellara, they were that worried about marking him, but they may have lost the race now.
    -The Cancellara group look in trouble and the RadioShack rider, if he has anything left, needs to make a move on the next section of cobbles.
    -The two lead groups reform but behind Cancellara attacks and drops Terpstra, Boom and Eisel. That was a great move.
    When Cancellara went back to the team car, as I remember it, fairly late on, maybe 30-50 km to go, he didn't look in trouble, and a few mins later, not 1-2 mins more like 5-6 mins, he did then make an attack.
    What was noticeable was that those who could have made an attack when Cancellara was having a chat didn't do so, for whatever reason. But I wouldn't say that they went back to his teamcar with him, they stayed 10-30 m in front.

Think we all forget how much respect he commands.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Harmon wrote him off as knackered.
    We said oh what an idiot commentator (sorry, mouthpiece) he is.
    As he came away from the car he shook his legs to loosen them, so the body language said that he was getting ready to attack and when he did it didn't take long to catch the others further in front.
    He must have used a lot of nervous energy because when he wanted to shed VanMarcke he couldn't and had to wait for the track to win by inches.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Just watched the highlights on ITV4.

Loved it. Absolutely loved it.

Liggett even squeezed in a mention for his old mate Lance which was nice.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    knedlicky wrote:

Think we all forget how much respect he commands.

Its just sportsmanship I think.. not necessarily down to respect.

I think they probably fear him more than respect him!
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Go Tao! Very impressive for that lad from London.
    There's a nice article by him in Rapha's weekly news sheet this week where he talks about crashing in this race a couple of years ago and reaching the velodrome just after they shut the gates. Sounded like a pretty gutting experience, sure he'll be delighted with that result.
  • tailwindhome
    tumblr_mkw6tziFmn1ropreyo1_500.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Lionel Birnie ‏@lionelbirnie 9h
    As I wrote last week, #Roubaix is often like a Whodunnit in which we know who done it at the start. The beauty is finding out how he did it.

Like that quote a lot.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Vandernberg crash:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pd7yME86Nk

Stybar crash and proper cyclo-cross skills to stay upright just before 2mins:
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... ar_Happert

I would be pretty damn scared bombing along within inches of the spectators!

Worth watching again. See what is presumably a camera, flying across the cobbles.
    Oh and all 3 "weak" riders, riding in the same verge.

Ive just watched that Vandenbergh crash 20 times and my conclusion is that he DID NOT hit the spectator. It seems to me that he had to move off the grass verge slightly and appears to have caught his wheel, causing it to highside him. No matter how many times I look at it, I just cant see an impact with the spectator... Even after he is on the way down, there is no movement from the spectator. If there had been an impact there wouldve been some reaction from the spectator...

Anyone see this, or are my eyes playing games? Any interviews with Vandenbergh out there that may shed light?

The Stybar one is obviously making contact with a spectator, but after seeing it, I still think the spectator was not entirely at fault.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • knedlicky
    emadden wrote:
    Vandernberg crash:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pd7yME86Nk
    Stybar crash and proper cyclo-cross skills to stay upright just before 2mins:
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... ar_Happert
    I would be pretty damn scared bombing along within inches of the spectators!
    Worth watching again. See what is presumably a camera, flying across the cobbles.
    Oh and all 3 "weak" riders, riding in the same verge.
    Ive just watched that Vandenbergh crash 20 times and my conclusion is that he DID NOT hit the spectator. It seems to me that he had to move off the grass verge slightly and appears to have caught his wheel, causing it to highside him. No matter how many times I look at it, I just cant see an impact with the spectator... Even after he is on the way down, there is no movement from the spectator. If there had been an impact there wouldve been some reaction from the spectator...
    Anyone see this, or are my eyes playing games? Any interviews with Vandenbergh out there that may shed light?
    The Stybar one is obviously making contact with a spectator, but after seeing it, I still think the spectator was not entirely at fault.
    According to Omega Pharma - Quick-Step DS Wilfried Peeters, Vandenbergh did ‘touch’ a spectator.
    Vandenbergh himself simply said “I decided for the edge of the road instead of the cobblestone pavement and was then too close to the public”
    He also said “I was feeling pretty good when I was in front with Sep Vanmarke. I was only riding at 90% and I looked him in the face: he was suffering … and in the end he was second …”

Stybar said “There was a photographer or such, and I hit him with my right brake lever. Then I came out of the pedal and before I was back in, I’d also lost Fabian’s wheel. And in this race, when you just have a gap of 5 to 10 seconds, then it’s over, even after 240 kilometres.”
    He also said “I can be happy, because I was really near to it. I’ll come back and hopefully win here.”

Apparently Vanmarke finished with one of his rims broken. I seem to remember him calling the team car late on, 10-20 km out, but then not stopping.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    I love Fleche Wallone. I like the way it comes down to a climbers drag race up the Huy. You are right about the Columbians though, they could put out their uber climbing squad for a one day MTF finish in F-W

Meh, F-W is the worst of the Ardennes classics in my opinion. It's difficult to see past J-Rod if he's riding.

On the subject of Cancellara moving isn't he going to IAM?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I love Fleche Wallone. I like the way it comes down to a climbers drag race up the Huy. You are right about the Columbians though, they could put out their uber climbing squad for a one day MTF finish in F-W

Meh, F-W is the worst of the Ardennes classics in my opinion. It's difficult to see past J-Rod if he's riding.

On the subject of Cancellara moving isn't he going to IAM?

Lots of people say that it's the worst and I can't understand why. If it was a stage in a Grand Tour people would be raving about so many charging into a hill top finish with the leader changing a handful of times in the process. There is usually the remnants of a break at the bottom as well, it certainly isn't a procession.

I watched the last few years F-W's whilst I've been turboing over the last couple of months and fallen in love with it again. Evans came from nowhere to win his and I would rate it above L-B-L the highlight of which over the last couple of years was the chuckle brothers handing it to Gilbert.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Just back from P-R. A cracker of a race but one of those days when with hindsight I wish I'd been watching it on t'telly, given the way it played out with the tension of the last part of the race.

As for all the discussion about spectators and the crashes, my view is this: the riders in the gutter are within inches of the fans, they know this when they choose this line. So I might have yanked back the odd person as the riders were thundering towards us, but generally people arent doing dumbass things that you see on the Tour and other races, like ponying up with dogs off the lead, or letting kids run into the road.

As for Sky...all I can do is shake my head. Stannard punctured at Inchy just along from where I was standing. Right then, I know it was going to be another bad day at the office.