Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    edited April 2013
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Anticipating ??? Well mmmmmm If i am out riding my bike am going to avoid trouble 1st and not think about what's going on inside some numpty standing at the side of the road...Nobody stood in Vandenbergh's way he rode into them...just watched it again.

Yep. He rode into them because he anticipated that they'd move at the last minute, like 99% of fans do. Watch again and see the hordes of fans get their glimpse of the oncoming riders before quickly withdrawing at the last minute.

The spectators probably didn't move because they were trying to get a longer look at the three who had just gone by and didn't realise Vandenbergh was just off the back.

It's dusty, it's loud, it's exciting. These things do happen.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Shouldn't be allowed a 30-40 second sticky bottle at the front of the race either. :roll:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    emadden wrote:
    Hope Vanmarcke doesnt get too down about losing that... It was really a great great race
    Yeh, he looked upset on the podium. Yeh, great race!
    Pross wrote:
    Vanmarcke needs to brush up on his track skills, a real shame for him
    He probably went for it on the track too soon, out of nervousness. And then perhaps he should have stayed down, rather than try and counter Fäbu by going back up the slope a little.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    emadden wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Were did the wheel hangers finish then ?
    They were a complete disaster... Hushovd, Elvis, Flecha... all over-rated
    I wouldn’t include Flecha with the other two or Eisel, I think Flecha came out of it reasonably well. He was leading the followers 10 or so km out when they picked up Stybar and he finished in the top ten.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Geraint Thomas needs to go back to school to sit his bike test. what do u mean a i cant turn left or right is this not a track bike 8) . You must shyte yourself if your in a bunch next to him.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    knedlicky wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I wouldn’t include Flecha with the other two or Eisel, I think Flecha came out of it reasonably well. He was leading the followers 10 or so km out when they picked up Stybar and he finished in the top ten.

Well, I call Flecha a disaster because as I said in an earlier post, the guy always seems to ride for no better than third, which is a shame given his natural ability. NOTE: for the sake of argument, I am not including tactical nous as natural ability (but it clearly is - Flecha either lacks it, or he is scared of winning). I always seemed to get pissed off at Flecha at Paris Roubaix
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    edited April 2013
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    From my dodgy stream it looked as if Vandenbergh carried on riding the edge, anticipating that the two spectators would move back (as all the others did) as he came through but they simply didn't move.

Anticipating ??? Well mmmmmm If i am out riding my bike am going to avoid trouble 1st and not think about what's going on inside some numpty standing at the side of the road...Nobody stood in Vandenbergh's way he rode into them...just watched it again.

Using that line of thinking in the Alps and Pyrenees in the Tour they should be weaving all over the place trying to avoid the spectators instead of riding in a straight line.
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    knedlicky wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Agree,He also tried to make a selection not long before chinny & stybar moved ahead.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • EKIMIKE
    edited April 2013
    stanislav wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    Agree,He also tried to make a selection not long before chinny & stybar moved ahead.

Also agreed. A good aggressive ride by Flecha. He has little in the way of weaponery. He will always ride the same, just like Cancellara always has to ride the same. He has to force a split and escape alone. Almost anyone would out-sprint him if he either followed the wheels or took someone with him.

How can people here take a dig at 'wheelsuckers' and then criticise an aggressive ride by Flecha in the same breath? The mind boggles, it really does!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Using that line of thinking in the Alps and Pyrenees in the Tour they should be weaving all over the place trying to avid the spectators instead of riding in a straight line.
    The spectators left plenty of road for them to use. If you want to play russian roulette in the gutter in an attempt to get an easier ride, then OK. But don't expect it to be a risk free experience.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Using that line of thinking in the Alps and Pyrenees in the Tour they should be weaving all over the place trying to avid the spectators instead of riding in a straight line.
    The spectators left plenty of road for them to use. If you want to play russian roulette in the gutter in an attempt to get an easier ride, then OK. But don't expect it to be a risk free experience.

That. They were a good 2ft off the road
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's first and foremost a bike race. The chance for spectators to watch cyling close up comes second. So the onus is surely always on the spectator to leave enough room and respect the fact that there is a race going on.

I'm not sure what happened in this specific case; whether Stybar was anticipating a spectator moving out or was actually hit by a spectator, but in principle, as long as the rider is riding within the rules then it's up to the spectator to give him enough room.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Flecha typically gets aggressive about 50mins after the leading move goes... Go back and watch the last 4 or 5 Paris Roubaix and you will see what I mean
    www.dotcycling.com
  • EKIMIKE
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed but the idea that riding the gutter is the exclusive preserve of weak riders is absurd!

Who's going to ride on the tops of the cobbles whilst their rivals ride away in the gutter or reel you back in by riding in the gutter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Milton50 wrote:
    It's first and foremost a bike race. The chance for spectators to watch cyling close up comes second. So the onus is surely always on the spectator to leave enough room and respect the fact that there is a race going on.
    They did leave enough room. They left a big space called 'the road'. It was only when riders didn't want to use the road that problems happened
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Milton50 wrote:

I'm not sure what happened in this specific case; whether Stybar was anticipating a spectator moving out or was actually hit by a spectator, but in principle, as long as the rider is riding within the rules then it's up to the spectator to give him enough room.

Why not smash a fence up on the entire road like they have done on Arenberg and kill every single bit of atmosphere while we are at it?
  • EKIMIKE
    emadden wrote:
    Flecha typically gets aggressive about 50mins after the leading move goes... Go back and watch the last 4 or 5 Paris Roubaix and you will see what I mean

True but he is a marked man... Hardly a Johan Vansummeren or as with today a Stijn Vandenbergh or Sep Vanmarcke (who has been way off the pace this spring until today).
  • thomthom
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    They did leave enough room. They left a big space called 'the road'. It was only when riders didn't want to use the road that problems happened

Exactly.
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

And the spectators weren't expecting the totally unpredictable phenomenon of riding in the gutter in Paris Roubaix? If they stood 3ft back instead of 2ft would they not be able to see the race?
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    emadden wrote:
    Most people are talking about today,Not other years.For a 35yr old I thought it was a decent effort,He just didn't have the legs.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • milton50
    ThomThom wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Why not smash a fence up on the entire road like they have done on Arenberg and kill every single bit of atmosphere while we are at it?

No you're quite right I'm sure if the crowd were behind a piece of tape they would be absolutely silent.
  • EKIMIKE
    ThomThom wrote:

Well, no-one's said that up until now because it's obviously a retarded thing to say. :wink:
  • EKIMIKE
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Exactly.

But since when did riders not use the gutter in Paris-Roubaix?
  • thomthom
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Indeed but the idea that riding the gutter is the exclusive preserve of weak riders is absurd!

Who's going to ride on the tops of the cobbles whilst their rivals ride away in the gutter or reel you back in by riding in the gutter.

I'm sorry you are not having it but that's simply how it is. The weakest and fatigued riders ride in the gutter as the resistence is no where near as tough as on the top of the pavee. Rolf Sorensen has just spend 6 hours on danish tv telling exactly why the riders do it. It's much harder to ride on the top of the pavees but the risks are minimal compared to the edges. You'd think he knows his stuff, eh?!
  • thomthom
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Well, no-one's said that up until now because it's obviously a retarded thing to say. :wink:

I'm still waiting for that reply on the previous page...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ThomThom wrote:

There's no atmosphere in Arenberg?

Anyhoo, my thoughts.

Good race. It's a pity Chinny won, but hey ho.

OPQS pretty impressive even without Boonen there.

Sky did about what you'd expect for a team with 3rd tier riders for the cobbles. I feel if they really want one of these kind of races they're going to need to buy the talent. For the life of me, I've never understood why Biggles was considered a challenger for these kind of races - I can absolutely see him winning an Ardennes race though.

Blanco pretty impressive too, all things considered.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thomthom
    Milton50 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

No you're quite right I'm sure if the crowd were behind a piece of tape they would be absolutely silent.

Might as well just keep it as it is now then, eh?
  • EKIMIKE
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'm sorry you are not having it but that's simply how it is. The weakest and fatigued riders ride in the gutter as the resistence is no where near as tough as on the top of the pavee. Rolf Sorensen has just spend 6 hours on danish tv telling exactly why the riders do it. It's much harder to ride on the top of the pavees but the risks are minimal compared to the edges. You'd think he knows his stuff, eh?!

So Cancellara was weak was he? Vanmarcke too? And Stybar? Vandenbergh?

They do it to gain an advantage. To make the race a little easier. Chavanel made a point of riding up alongside Cancellara on the tops just after Arenberg - look where he finished today.

This is a race. No matter how much logic we throw at this, the racers will still try and gain every tiny bit of advantage they can.
  • thomthom
    iainf72 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

There's no atmosphere in Arenberg?

Compared to 10 years ago? Absolutely no atmosphere.
  • EKIMIKE
    ThomThom wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

Might as well just keep it as it is now then, eh?

WHOOOOOSSSSHHHHhhhhhhh! :lol: