Lifestyles of the rich and vulgar

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I don't have any issues with the spoilt rich boys or any perceived culture gap. It's the incessant sh!t that Thrushy spouts, which I find a sufficiently poor charachter trait (amongst others which he demonstrates) not to make me want to waste my time with him on the off chance that he may not be the idiot that I think he is.

But surely you don't put that much faith on the similarity between online personality and real personality? There's loads of people on here who can be thoroughly annoying but I wouldn't translate that into any assumptions about how they come across in real life. eg I'd hope people wouldn't judge me too badly based on my crotchety arseyness on here - I'm not that terrible in real life!

I agree with you that it is a mistake putting too much faith in the similarity between the on-line persona and the person in real day to day life. We are all probably a bit prone to making judgements based on a few posts on a forum, which is obviously wrong because most people only give away snippets of themselves. However there are those that have done the complete opposite and shown too much of their true self by the sheer amount of argumentative, rude and narcissistic posts. That's not to say that they are a bad father, husband or even friend to others of a similar ilk. Just not the kind all would want to spend time or even a drink with. Hey different strokes for different folks and all that.

I wouldn't go that far. I also wouldn't say nathancom, mattc59 and shloppy 'et all' have reached that low level but I'm willing to shake hands and forgive.
    I share a similar trait in that I can be argumentative but do try to draw the line at rude and try to minimise narcissism to a level acceptable :wink:

If my posts were read these guys would seriously realise that humanity and the ability to try and get on with your fellow man is my main objective. I go out of my way to help people rather than those who go out of their way to hurt people. That is the main reason I am trying to help them.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    That is the main reason I am trying to help them.

You are mentally imbalanced, try helping yourself first.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    That is the main reason I am trying to help them.

You are mentally imbalanced, try helping yourself first.

Ohh I have. Just had the decorators come round to hang the priceless pictures on the wall of my man cave. I guess that counts as helping myself :?: 8) :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    VTech wrote:
    If my posts were read these guys would seriously realise that humanity and the ability to try and get on with your fellow man is my main objective. I go out of my way to help people rather than those who go out of their way to hurt people. That is the main reason I am trying to help them.
    OK, I will bite. I come to this forum because I find the variety of different people and their range of experiences creates a genuinely interesting set of discussions. I find the wit, intelligence, creativity and passion variously displayed by this community surprising and it is what keeps me reading and attempting to contribute in a broadly positive manner. It can also simply be a good way to pass some time and read some funny stuff. In short, I like the community and like it to have as much free speech as possible (I would like to say that the moderation on this forum has become much better since Ugo and Velonutter took over those duties)

Now, as far I my contributions go, I am under no illusions that at times,like others here, I can be belligerent and argumentative. I believe that in political, philosophical, economic discussions that our ideas are best examined by forceful opposition from others - whether they stand up to scrutiny or whether they fall. I have always learnt the most from when people have shown me where I am wrong, rather than from where I believe myself to be right. Therefore, in those discussions I am happy for my ideas to be pulled apart. However, I do think I cross the line from tetchiness to rudeness and I think this is of the medium as much as of the man, but it is something I don't approve of in myself and try to modulate.

Enough about my general approach to the forums, why do I display an opposition to you? Simply I believe that you are a detriment to the quality of the discussion and to the community. You are unwilling to accept your errors, you lie and fabricate, you talk incessantly about yourself and your life and try to turn every discussion into a 'look-at-me' thread. No doubt some of us feed that rather than helping to starve the flames, as Scrumple wisely advised earlier.

I find that you are unwilling to test your ideas, you simply want to impose them on the discussion and on everyone else therefore the discussion is sterile and pointless. You are not interested in sharing experiences, you simply want to display to others how swell your life is compared to everyone else and you constantly engage in a level of self projection of how you want others to see you that I personally find intrusive. You are not some selfless saint living your life in the service of humanity so please stop telling everyone that is who you are. It strikes me as a lame piece of forum PR after you littered the forums with your displays of wealth and all the attention whoring.
  • VTech
    Whilst well written, your reply is simply a well worded version of previous attempted abuse. You pick the parts that suit you and use them to attempt to make an advantage within your argument.
    You suggest I have an unwillingness too fit in yet I have done plenty for forum members, I have no problem with sharing both time and effort and although that may mean buying bikes for people on here who simply can't afford them or for giving away things I get through my business life it shouldn't really matter.
    I can't help the fact that I have more possessions than the average guy but that doesn't mean and neither have I suggested that this makes me better. I've actually posted about this subject before which kind of smashes your above post to pieces.

I am rich because my wife and kids love me. Not because I have money.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    Ok dude.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    VTech wrote:
    and although that may mean buying bikes for people on here who simply can't afford them

Oh please, ffs.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I would really love a C59 and I definitely can't afford it...
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    and although that may mean buying bikes for people on here who simply can't afford them

Oh please, ffs.

My willingness to fit in was being questions and so I replied with reasoning as to why that simply wasn't the case.
    I havent spouted it before because it wasn't necessary. There were several forum members who posted about trying to get on the road and so I private messaged them and gave them the ability to get on the road. Likewise I have given away VIP Grand Prix Tickets, VIP Superbike Tickets, Event Tickets, Memorabilia, VIP Track Days for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Aston Martin as well as various other bits n bobs. There is nothing wrong with that although I somehow feel that there will be a few who jump on that also.

When I was a kid a guy had a Ferrari and let me sit in it. It was a pivotal moment in my life and I knew then that one day I wanted to be like this bloke and although that was never the case it was a moment I remember. Most people I know who have items of value (is that what we call them) like to share, Chris Evans for example who allows kids to sit in his Ferrari GTO for our charity events. You guys make judgements without any knowledge and thats a shame. but it is the way of life so I take it.

Listen, it doesn't matter, I'm happy doing what I do, thats all that matters.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Which part of 'give it a rest' are you having trouble understanding? :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    I've always felt people jump too much on Vtech's back and the pack hunting mentality comes into play. Now I find out he gave away a VIP Aston Martin track day to someone other than me! Time to run with the pack, you git Vtech :evil:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Nice post nathancom but sucking up to Ugo and Velonutter?... :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    well their competition is Chasey. He makes North Korean censors appear decadent.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    nathancom wrote:
    well their competition is Chasey. He makes North Korean censors appear decadent.

wasn't it Chasey that had his uncle tried for treason?
  • pinno
    matthew h wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Off topic and Mod bashing :shock:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    matthew h wrote:
    nathancom wrote:

Off topic and Mod bashing :shock:

meant to be doing an assignment on adaptive leadership - a ban stick would help get it finished :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Oh please, ffs.

My willingness to fit in was being questions and so I replied with reasoning as to why that simply wasn't the case.
    I havent spouted it before because it wasn't necessary. There were several forum members who posted about trying to get on the road and so I private messaged them and gave them the ability to get on the road. Likewise I have given away VIP Grand Prix Tickets, VIP Superbike Tickets, Event Tickets, Memorabilia, VIP Track Days for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Aston Martin as well as various other bits n bobs. There is nothing wrong with that although I somehow feel that there will be a few who jump on that also.

When I was a kid a guy had a Ferrari and let me sit in it. It was a pivotal moment in my life and I knew then that one day I wanted to be like this bloke and although that was never the case it was a moment I remember. Most people I know who have items of value (is that what we call them) like to share, Chris Evans for example who allows kids to sit in his Ferrari GTO for our charity events. You guys make judgements without any knowledge and thats a shame. but it is the way of life so I take it.

fine, just stop telling us about it, you're the only one it entertains, give it a fuсking rest

guess what, i've got a centurion card, maybe you do, no idea, don't care, but you presumably know why they give you one

thing is, i don't need to tell people what i give away to whichever cause, and i'm not about to start now, the more you have the less it means, aside from that things are fuсked up enough already

moving off topic, i also gob in the face of br's forum censorware, this is the bottom bracket, the word is fuсk not fark, let's say it with pride

i refer mods to my previous related posting...

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12950685&hilit=know+not#p18641629
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    The Centurion Card is invitation-only after an appropriate net worth, credit and spending criteria are met.[2] American Express does not publicly disclose the requirements necessary for getting a card except that the cardholder has a substantial net worth and they are a former platinum card holder.[2] For reference, the average Centurion cardholder has $16.3 million in assets and an annual household income of $1.3 million.

Nice!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Vtech, don't listen to all the haters. They're obviously just jealous that they, despite being sensible, intelligent people with good social skills and insight, can't be as rich as you are.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    The Centurion Card is invitation-only after an appropriate net worth, credit and spending criteria are met.[2] American Express does not publicly disclose the requirements necessary for getting a card except that the cardholder has a substantial net worth and they are a former platinum card holder.[2] For reference, the average Centurion cardholder has $16.3 million in assets and an annual household income of $1.3 million.

Nice!

I'll stick to something a bit more exclusive, any common footballer could get that. Besides, who talks in dollars - I much rather work in guineas. New money riff raff :x
  • VTech

Nice!

Its not that exclusive these days.
    You have to pay a fee which you can get round and you have to be of a certain net worth but its nothing like the amounts you mention.
    The truth is that the fee is minimal compared to the benefits. If you travel a lot and buy on card then this is the one for you as you get plenty of upgrades simply by using it. Its a simple method of attracting revenue stream for AE.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:

Nice!

You have to pay a fee which you can get round and you have to be of a certain net worth but its nothing like the amounts you mention.
    The truth is that the fee is minimal compared to the benefits. If you travel a lot and buy on card then this is the one for you as you get plenty of upgrades simply by using it. Its a simple method of attracting revenue stream for AE.

I've never heard of it but it sounds like it says a lot about peoples approach to money. I'm quite sure I wouldn't qualify for it but the funny thing is that the benefits you mention don't really appeal to me. I'm not that bothered about upgrades even though I might not be able to afford or justify paying for them myself. On the other hand, comparatively wealthy people do qualify for the card yet have no practical need of the benefits because, by definition, they can afford them without noticing anyway!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Nice!

I've never heard of it but it sounds like it says a lot about peoples approach to money. I'm quite sure I wouldn't qualify for it but the funny thing is that the benefits you mention don't really appeal to me. I'm not that bothered about upgrades even though I might not be able to afford or justify paying for them myself. On the other hand, comparatively wealthy people do qualify for the card yet have no practical need of the benefits because, by definition, they can afford them without noticing anyway!

Now we get to the real truth about credit and money.
    The sad fact is, when you can afford it they give it freely, its only when you can't afford it that rules are put in place.

I mentioned yesterday about not having the money for a cooker a few years ago and the bank wouldn't loan me £400 and I couldn't get credit for it either. Now you can go to a bank and get a £50k credit line on a card with little to no restrictions.
    Thats the real issue.

As for the black card, for the people it attracts it is perfect (although lots of benefits are being removed) in that if your spending upwards of £50k a year on it you will get upgrades but by its nature, the kind of people spending that are either wealthy or travel a lot for work which was the case with me. So for that reason I can spend on the car, book flights, get upgrades and claim it back. Its a merry go round and doesn't do real justice but I doubt anyone here, even the guys arguing to their back teeth with me would turn down a business upgrade on a flight from London to Singapore !!!

Likewise if your travelling a lot you would prefer the lounge access to keep away from the hustle and bustle of busy airports. These to most seem lavish but to business people, travelling for work it allows the ability to get last minute work done, rest in comfort and be fresh when you land.
    Most people who travel these distances do so over a 3 week period giving themselves time to adapt and refresh after landing which in the business world would cripple it, you couldn't have technicians and staff away for three weeks to do only a few hours work on arrival.
    Living MY dream.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Oh please, ffs.

A friend of my wife has a Ferrari (its a red one) and he's a schmuck. A total selfish, money fascinated, cultureless schmuck who also dresses like Clarkson. If my children see his car and want to turn out like him I'll cry.

Jealous? No. Saddened? Yes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Do you have to be rich AND vulgar to join this thread?
    I am quite capable of being vulgar without any financial clout.
    I may well have demonstrated this skill on this very forum. :wink:
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Oh please, ffs.

A friend of my wife has a Ferrari (its a red one) and he's a schmuck. A total selfish, money fascinated, cultureless schmuck who also dresses like Clarkson. If my children see his car and want to turn out like him I'll cry.

Jealous? No. Saddened? Yes.

So the fact that your neighbour is a "shmuck" is your sole basis on the fact that someone who drives a ferrari is a person you definitely wouldn't want your kid to grow up like ?

Now thats poor parental judgement.
    I on the other hand want my kids to grow up in a grounded way where they earn their own money and do not live on the edge every month wondering wether they can afford to pay the bills.

Now we all know this will infuriate the chosen few here but I genuinely don't care, its simply the truth, I wouldn't want my kids to struggle. Having said that, my neighbour has some sports cars and I wouldn't want my kids to grow up like him.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Anyone want to come and sit in my Hyundai i10?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Mikey23 wrote:

Wrong forum.

If you want to groom on the net try another forum unless you into middle aged blokes who shave their legs.... :shock:

Then again I've noticed your from Cornwall. The only place where a local can order 6 pints by raising one hand :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    Mikey23 wrote:

Posh git. :P
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It's just my way of identifying with the poor... More of an ironic statement really