Lifestyles of the rich and vulgar

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Still preferred the maclaren p1
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    You lot have never seen my trike fitted with a 2 stroke Flymo motor.

I haven't got it anymore, I swapped it for a packet of sausages to feed the family for a month.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    coriordan wrote:
    Still preferred the maclaren p1

Have one here, a serious weapon !
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you or the car?

ba dum shhhhhhhhhh
  • VTech
    coriordan wrote:
    you or the car?

ba dum shhhhhhhhhh

Sadly the car.
    I'm too old to have anything even closely resembling a weapon anymore :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    VTech wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    you or the car?

ba dum shhhhhhhhhh

Sadly the car.
    Piccy please (of the car that is) :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • VTech
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    you or the car?

ba dum shhhhhhhhhh

Sadly the car.

I'll get some posted tomorrow as I'm away at the moment.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its a merry go round and doesn't do real justice but I doubt anyone here, even the guys arguing to their back teeth with me would turn down a business upgrade on a flight from London to Singapore !!!

There is a fine line between comfort and obscenity! I once flew to Israel and it turned out my outbound ticket was some business plus thing or other. I hadn't even noticed til I found myself sat in a seat with much more legroom than I was used to. Thing is though - there was too much space. I couldn't reach my bag under the seat infront when I was belted in and it just felt like I was wasting space. Normal seats - yes, they are too tight and really I'd like enough space so that I could stretch out a bit more and not worry about my legs being crushed by the person in front reclining their seat into my face. But business class is just obscene. I walk past those pods on the way off a plane (crikey - you can't even easily see out of the windows from those and the view is the best bit of a flight!) and I cringe. I know I'm sending my carbon emissions through the roof by flying but I'd feel less bad about it if the plane was better used. Giving people with lots of money the opportunity to waste loads of space and fuel isn't very helpful to me.

So, for a long haul flight - yes, I'd like a bit more space but no more than I need to be comfortable. 2nd class, if it existed, would be perfect! I know my limitations.......

Your genuinely the first person I've ever had contact with who wouldn't like the business class seat.
    Im shocked so can't really reply in a manner that would add to the topic.

Look at the reasons he gave. Can you not understand that? I feel the same way. If you gave me £10 million, I'd stick with a smaller car, I'd never go around in some Ferrari or Bentley or whatever, doing 15 mpg.

I read his reasons but I don't understand it, as Pross said so wisely below your post, the extra room is the comfort before meetings etc, it is vital to arrive fresh and you can't do that after a long haul cramped up. Its actually stupid to think you can really !

Also if you had £10m you may well stick with a small car but I somehow doubt you would not be tempted to buy something special wether that be a new ferrari or a new carbon bike, are you saying you wouldn't be tempted to splash out ?

BTW, not all ferrari owners drive at 15mpg :wink:

Others have kind of answered your response to my post but I might as well do so as well as clearly I have shocked you!

I have no objection to improved comfort on flights - particularly long distance ones (I have to wonder at the sanity of people who go business or first on a KLM flight to Amsterdam! All you get is nobody sat in the middle seat next to you and a better meal for the hour or so you are in the air.). What I object to is space you don't need - there is an optimum level of space you need for comfort without reducing unnecessarily the capacity of the plane to carry more passengers. Even business class goes way beyond this. Of course, I only fly every so often - if I was doing it every week maybe I would feel different but then if I had to fly long haul every week I think I'd be looking for a better job anyway. Eg working in a bookshop!

Much of the space taken up by first class is not about comfort but conspicuous consumption/consumption for the sake of it - and that is what I object to. Would I turn down a free upgrade to first/business? Probably not. The space has already been wasted and I've not contributed to that waste by paying for it so it would be silly not to. But I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I would if they'd not been wasting space. And I'd feel embarrassed that people would think I'd paid for the seat.

Remember - this thread is about the rich and vulgar. Don't forget that it is possible to be rich and not vulgar. Though that does tend to involve owning a rotting mansion house that has been in the family for generations and a Mk1 Range Rover rather than a huge Barrett home like a cut price Southfork and something silly with a mid engine. I can respect people who can manage to be both rich and discrete about it but with the demise of Bristol it is pretty difficult to do that nowadays with any newly built car.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Except a Hyundai i10...
  • pinno
    Sorry Mikey, just had to:

hyundai-i10-uk.jpg?itok=Ks3xYgKU

Nice colour.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Mines one of the older ones that looks like a 'gay fridge on wheels' as my son describes it. Had to sell two of my ferraris to get it...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Mines one of the older ones that looks like a 'gay fridge on wheels' as my son describes it. Had to sell two of my ferraris to get it...

Not enough room in the tandem garage?
  • pinno
    Now here is a conundrum for the super rich.

Man Y decides that the biological clock is ticking. He is in his late thirties and is single, Only one problem: He is butt ugly, too butt ugly for even the most desperate of gold diggers.
    Man Y decides to get some plastic surgery because he has loads a money and he needs to do something about it.

Man Y goes out on the pull once the bruising and swelling has subsided. On his very first night he spots a woman. Woman X's biological clock is ticking as well. Woman X is rather attracted to Man Y and the feelings are mutual.
    After some degree of huffin', puffin' and shaggin', Man Y and Woman X conceive.

9 months later a baby boy is born. Little does this poor bast4rd of a thing know that both parents had plastic surgery for the very same reasons and he one day, is going to require ten times the plastic surgery at ten times the cost before he will ever pull anything resembling anything but the back end of a Rhinoceros.
  • Is thick as shite as well?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Rolf F wrote:
    I can respect people who can manage to be both rich and discrete about it but with the demise of Bristol it is pretty difficult to do that nowadays with any newly built car.
    Bristol are still going, although not actually manufacturing at the moment. Although they are developing a new model. They have a workshop in Brentford that works on previous models, I supply them some stuff.
    I've always wanted a fine pair of Bristols?
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205

Man Y decides that the biological clock is ticking. He is in his late thirties and is single, Only one problem: He is butt ugly, too butt ugly for even the most desperate of gold diggers.
    Man Y decides to get some plastic surgery because he has loads a money and he needs to do something about it.

Man Y goes out on the pull once the bruising and swelling has subsided. On his very first night he spots a woman. Woman X's biological clock is ticking as well. Woman X is rather attracted to Man Y and the feelings are mutual.

9 months later a baby boy is born. Little does this poor bast4rd of a thing know that both parents had plastic surgery for the very same reasons and he one day, is going to require ten times the plastic surgery at ten times the cost before he will ever pull anything resembling anything but the back end of a Rhinoceros.

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/uglybaby.asp
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited March 2014
    Rich n vulgar, Chinese style.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... usinessmen

WARNING: Don't look Pinarello! You won't like it!
  • pinno
    johnfinch wrote:

That's f*cking horrific. Should have warned me Finchy.

This bears hope:

http://wwfcn.panda.org/en/?3760/China-L ... ild-Tigers
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408

Debunked, I believe, but something like this......
    http://entertainment.ie/wtf/Chinese-man-divorces-and-sues-wife-over-ugly-children-And-wins/227669.htm
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:

That's f*cking horrific. Should have warned me Finchy.

This bears hope:

http://wwfcn.panda.org/en/?3760/China-L ... ild-Tigers

Read it again. Í did warn you.
  • Stevo_666
    VTech wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    you or the car?

ba dum shhhhhhhhhh

Sadly the car.

I'll get some posted tomorrow as I'm away at the moment.
    Cough cough
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    daviesee wrote:
    Let's see.......
    I use a Colnago instead of a Ribble.
    I use Campagnolo over Shimano.
    I use Rapha over Lidl.
    I use Mac over PC.
    I use a Nikon DSLR over a P&S.
    I use a proper HiFi over anything available at a general shop.
    My cheapest pair of shoes were over £100, and that was sales price.

I may not be rich, and now I can see why :wink: , but I am sure some will consider some of the above to be vulgar.

I think we need need to see these shoes...
  • Stevo_666
    I guess Pinno is too busy exploiting the poor and disadvanted in his Stranraer salt mine to post on here :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I guess Pinno is too busy exploiting the poor and disadvanted in his Stranraer salt mine to post on here :)
    Busy cooking the books to maximise his profit before he sells it.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'm a bit miffed he didn't ask me to help him do it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He's always pleading poverty but I don't believe a word of it, I reckon he's minted :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    arran77 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

He's always pleading poverty but I don't believe a word of it, I reckon he's minted :wink:

the liquidity of an individual diminishes if that individual has the physical affliction that many northerners suffer from and is known as short arms and deep pockets.

The same people are known to peel apples in their pockets
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    RideOnTime wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Let's see.......
    I use a Colnago instead of a Ribble.
    I use Campagnolo over Shimano.
    I use Rapha over Lidl.
    I use Mac over PC.
    I use a Nikon DSLR over a P&S.
    I use a proper HiFi over anything available at a general shop.
    My cheapest pair of shoes were over £100, and that was sales price.

I may not be rich, and now I can see why :wink: , but I am sure some will consider some of the above to be vulgar.

I think we need need to see these shoes...

There's a difference between being rich, and not having anyone else to spend your money on. http://blogs.ft.com/material-world/2014 ... y-acronym/
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Never has Bateman seemed more like an abbreviation than a character ...