Lifestyles of the rich and vulgar

Comments

• Mikey23 wrote:
    Anyone want to come and sit in my Hyundai i10?

Has it been chipped?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Small one on the windscreen...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    Its a merry go round and doesn't do real justice but I doubt anyone here, even the guys arguing to their back teeth with me would turn down a business upgrade on a flight from London to Singapore !!!

There is a fine line between comfort and obscenity! I once flew to Israel and it turned out my outbound ticket was some business plus thing or other. I hadn't even noticed til I found myself sat in a seat with much more legroom than I was used to. Thing is though - there was too much space. I couldn't reach my bag under the seat infront when I was belted in and it just felt like I was wasting space. Normal seats - yes, they are too tight and really I'd like enough space so that I could stretch out a bit more and not worry about my legs being crushed by the person in front reclining their seat into my face. But business class is just obscene. I walk past those pods on the way off a plane (crikey - you can't even easily see out of the windows from those and the view is the best bit of a flight!) and I cringe. I know I'm sending my carbon emissions through the roof by flying but I'd feel less bad about it if the plane was better used. Giving people with lots of money the opportunity to waste loads of space and fuel isn't very helpful to me.

So, for a long haul flight - yes, I'd like a bit more space but no more than I need to be comfortable. 2nd class, if it existed, would be perfect! I know my limitations.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its a merry go round and doesn't do real justice but I doubt anyone here, even the guys arguing to their back teeth with me would turn down a business upgrade on a flight from London to Singapore !!!

There is a fine line between comfort and obscenity! I once flew to Israel and it turned out my outbound ticket was some business plus thing or other. I hadn't even noticed til I found myself sat in a seat with much more legroom than I was used to. Thing is though - there was too much space. I couldn't reach my bag under the seat infront when I was belted in and it just felt like I was wasting space. Normal seats - yes, they are too tight and really I'd like enough space so that I could stretch out a bit more and not worry about my legs being crushed by the person in front reclining their seat into my face. But business class is just obscene. I walk past those pods on the way off a plane (crikey - you can't even easily see out of the windows from those and the view is the best bit of a flight!) and I cringe. I know I'm sending my carbon emissions through the roof by flying but I'd feel less bad about it if the plane was better used. Giving people with lots of money the opportunity to waste loads of space and fuel isn't very helpful to me.

So, for a long haul flight - yes, I'd like a bit more space but no more than I need to be comfortable. 2nd class, if it existed, would be perfect! I know my limitations.......

Your genuinely the first person I've ever had contact with who wouldn't like the business class seat.
    Im shocked so can't really reply in a manner that would add to the topic.
    Living MY dream.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I hadn't even noticed til I found myself sat in a seat with much more legroom than I was used to. Thing is though - there was too much space. I couldn't reach my bag under the seat infront when I was belted in and it just felt like I was wasting space.

Is this a veiled swipe at fat people needing bigger seats?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    VTech wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Your genuinely the first person I've ever had contact with who wouldn't like the business class seat.

Look at the reasons he gave. Can you not understand that? I feel the same way. If you gave me £10 million, I'd stick with a smaller car, I'd never go around in some Ferrari or Bentley or whatever, doing 15 mpg.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    The one thing I would really love to be able to afford would be to fly first class. I would say business class is the bare minimum for someone flying long haul regularly, especially if you are going to be straight into meetings at the other end. The plane is effectively their bedroom. I really don't see it as being obscene to want to travel in the greatest comfort possible. I do wish they'd get rid of reclining seats in economy though, the only purpose they serve is to annoy the person behind.
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Look at the reasons he gave. Can you not understand that? I feel the same way. If you gave me £10 million, I'd stick with a smaller car, I'd never go around in some Ferrari or Bentley or whatever, doing 15 mpg.

I read his reasons but I don't understand it, as Pross said so wisely below your post, the extra room is the comfort before meetings etc, it is vital to arrive fresh and you can't do that after a long haul cramped up. Its actually stupid to think you can really !

Also if you had £10m you may well stick with a small car but I somehow doubt you would not be tempted to buy something special wether that be a new ferrari or a new carbon bike, are you saying you wouldn't be tempted to splash out ?

BTW, not all ferrari owners drive at 15mpg :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    but I don't understand

Now we are getting somewhere :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • finchy
    VTech wrote:
    I read his reasons but I don't understand it, as Pross said so wisely below your post, the extra room is the comfort before meetings etc, it is vital to arrive fresh and you can't do that after a long haul cramped up. Its actually stupid to think you can really !

But Rolf F was saying that he had extra space and then more. Being 6'3", I would be quite happy to have enough space in front of me to stretch my legs out. OTOH, I wouldn't really want or need more than that.
    VTech wrote:
    Also if you had £10m you may well stick with a small car but I somehow doubt you would not be tempted to buy something special wether that be a new ferrari or a new carbon bike, are you saying you wouldn't be tempted to splash out ?

I'd buy myself a new carbon fibre bike, probably a decent guitar and I don't really think there's anything else I want. It's not about the fact that the car is expensive, it's just that I don't want to drive about filling the atmosphere with any more crap than necessary (I walk or cycle most places anyway). I wouldn't claim to lead a pollution-free life, but there are limits and I do try to keep it down.
  • Pross
    johnfinch wrote:
    It's not about the fact that the car is expensive, it's just that I don't want to drive about filling the atmosphere with any more crap than necessary (I walk or cycle most places anyway). I wouldn't claim to lead a pollution-free life, but there are limits and I do try to keep it down.

You could buy one of those new Porsche hybrids then, greener than your current car I suspect.

If I did have that sort of money I'd be carbon offsetting and planting forests.
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I'd buy myself a new carbon fibre bike, probably a decent guitar and I don't really think there's anything else I want. It's not about the fact that the car is expensive, it's just that I don't want to drive about filling the atmosphere with any more crap than necessary (I walk or cycle most places anyway). I wouldn't claim to lead a pollution-free life, but there are limits and I do try to keep it down.

Ive spent years working on emissions and the global impact of fuels, HC, Nox, Sox, CD etc and I won't go into it much here as it would cause an argument but....

The oxidation and carbonization furnaces and industrial ovens have the potential to emit hydrogen cyanide (HCN), ammonia (NH3) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some of these pollutants are immediately dangerous to human health, even in very small quantities. Other pollutants of concern for carbon fiber producers include harmful gases such as carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxide (NOX). These emissions not only contribute to global warming but also have a direct correlation with the manufacturer's consumption of energy.
    Your nice new bike has an impact, actually quite a large impact, especially when it is one of a smaller run, maybe from a smaller company making lower or more exclusive numbers.

Anyway, this isn't about arguing over who would want what etc, its about the way humans are, how they react and the way they devour the planet I guess. There will always be a divide, I may be ridiculed for trying to position myself on the easier side but I've been incredibly fortunate to be born in the UK, in the 1970's which meant the opportunity was there.
    I won't apologise for taking that opportunity and can't really worry about those who would like me too.

I have made other posts on this forum about how unfair it is for people with little to no chance but even with that in mind, I don't think it right for people to waste the chances they had, otherwise what is there for us all ? a mundane existence of settling for whatever comes along ?
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    It's not about the fact that the car is expensive, it's just that I don't want to drive about filling the atmosphere with any more crap than necessary (I walk or cycle most places anyway). I wouldn't claim to lead a pollution-free life, but there are limits and I do try to keep it down.

You could buy one of those new Porsche hybrids then, greener than your current car I suspect.

Just quickly looked at a review. They seem to have very similar mileage, so OK, I'll go for that Porsche.

Even ignoring the carbon dioxide emissions, I prefer to leave the car at home because when I drive it's also pumping out loads of other crap into the air that I breathe, so I'd be spending £80k on a car I wouldn't use that much.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    In reality though people who drive supercars are probably responsible for less emissions than the average family, running your average family hatch. I don't think many Lambos will do 12-15k a year.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • VTech
    jordan_217 wrote:
    In reality though people who drive supercars are probably responsible for less emissions than the average family, running your average family hatch. I don't think many Lambos will do 12-15k a year.

Good point, I've never done more than 2000m in any of mine and all but a few people I know will never do more than 1000m/year in theirs.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    VTech wrote:
    Ive spent years working on emissions and the global impact of fuels, HC, Nox, Sox, CD etc and I won't go into it much here as it would cause an argument but....

The oxidation and carbonization furnaces and industrial ovens have the potential to emit hydrogen cyanide (HCN), ammonia (NH3) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Some of these pollutants are immediately dangerous to human health, even in very small quantities. Other pollutants of concern for carbon fiber producers include harmful gases such as carbon monoxide (CO) and nitrogen oxide (NOX). These emissions not only contribute to global warming but also have a direct correlation with the manufacturer's consumption of energy.
    Your nice new bike has an impact, actually quite a large impact, especially when it is one of a smaller run, maybe from a smaller company making lower or more exclusive numbers.

Believe me, I don't delude myself into thinking that manufacturing a bicycle is done without damage to the environment, but when I have the bike, I'll ride it instead of driving the car and ultimately there will be a net reduction.
    VTech wrote:
    Anyway, this isn't about arguing over who would want what etc, its about the way humans are, how they react and the way they devour the planet I guess. There will always be a divide, I may be ridiculed for trying to position myself on the easier side but I've been incredibly fortunate to be born in the UK, in the 1970's which meant the opportunity was there.
    I won't apologise for taking that opportunity and can't really worry about those who would like me too.

I have never seen anyone arguing that you should seize the opportunity. I'm doing the same thing and so are many of the other people on this forum including those who argue with you. There is a difference between seeing injustices in a particular system and having a go at people who live within that system for trying to make the most of their lives.
  • finchy
    jordan_217 wrote:

Yeah, but most of them won't just drive the sports car around for a couple of k per year and then walk everywhere else, will they? They'll have another massive car to drive around on a daily basis.
  • VTech
    @johnfinch, I drive a van on a daily basis, its the most economical vehicle I've ever owned.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    VTech wrote:
    @johnfinch, I drive a van on a daily basis, its the most economical vehicle I've ever owned.

I said MOST. Anyway, hard to say anything about the van, as you are comparing to other unspecified vehicles. It's a bit like saying that you had the best burger of your life last night. I don't know whether all your other burgers came from McDonald's or Burger King or whether you've had some really nice one before, like the one I had in Austria when I was 13 years old, with a fried egg on top.
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I said MOST. Anyway, hard to say anything about the van, as you are comparing to other unspecified vehicles. It's a bit like saying that you had the best burger of your life last night. I don't know whether all your other burgers came from McDonald's or Burger King or whether you've had some really nice one before, like the one I had in Austria when I was 13 years old, with a fried egg on top.

I had a burger at Gordon Ramseys in Vegas, it wasn't so good :oops:
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    I'm not surprised. I don't trust these celebrity chefs one bit. Especially the ones with cookbooks promising 15 minute or 30 minute meals, without telling the poor gullible sucker buying it (that'll be my wife) that this means 15 or 30 minutes only if you've prepared all the ingredients in advance and there'll be a massive pile of washing up to do afterwards 'cos it's used up a food processor, 4 different pans and an oven dish.

W**kers.
  • Pross
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Just quickly looked at a review. They seem to have very similar mileage, so OK, I'll go for that Porsche.

Even ignoring the carbon dioxide emissions, I prefer to leave the car at home because when I drive it's also pumping out loads of other crap into the air that I breathe, so I'd be spending £80k on a car I wouldn't use that much.

£80k? Think you were looking at the wrong one, it would cost you 8 instalments of that! They claim 94mpg though :wink:
  • finchy
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

£80k? Think you were looking at the wrong one, it would cost you 8 instalments of that! They claim 94mpg though :wink:

This one. http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/porsche ... ew/1201983

£88k to be more precise.
  • VTech
    porsche918pebblebeach---00.jpg

Thats the bad boy.
    Living MY dream.
  • finchy
    Looks a bit impractical to me. I'll pass, thanks.
  • VTech
    johnfinch wrote:

For what its designed to do, its completely practical, more so than almost anything in the class.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Looks very practical for snapping knicker elastic at 50 paces.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    VTech wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

For what its designed to do, its completely practical, more so than almost anything in the class.

I wouldn't be using it for what it's designed to do.
  • finchy
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Looks very practical for snapping knicker elastic at 50 paces.

So do socks stuffed down your underpants.
  • Pross
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

This one. http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/porsche ... ew/1201983

£88k to be more precise.

No, no that's the cheap and nasty rubbish that belongs in the pauper thread. This is the one for the Eco warrior with deep pockets http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/porsche-918-spyder-first-drive-2013-11-26

Being serious though, it's an incredible piece of engineering and I've never liked Porches.