The Secret Pro

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    On to the race action. As we all know Vincenzo Nibali took home the leader’s jersey but in the eyes of many in the peloton, he’s not the true champion we’d want from a Grand Tour.

I see FF has found another outlet
  • There's been enough chuntering on social media to get the picture that Nibz is not entirely beloved and cherished amongst the peloton

Of all people, I get the impression he doesn't care all that much.

No reason why he should. Seems to get upset and emosh over media comments and criticism but the Tifosi will always adore
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    There's been enough chuntering on social media to get the picture that Nibz is not entirely beloved and cherished amongst the peloton

I think he actively enjoys winding up other people.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    There's been enough chuntering on social media to get the picture that Nibz is not entirely beloved and cherished amongst the peloton

I think he actively enjoys winding up other people.

Yeah, tbf he has always enjoyed a bit of trolling
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,380
    You have to approach with a certain degree of suspicion a rider/team who can cheat like they did in the vuelta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv_g4BJregQ
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    It never gets old that clip... :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,961
    Was there any suggestion by anyone at the time that Nibali should have waited?

Secret Pro my ar5e
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,212
    ddraver wrote:

Love it how the rest of the group he was in almost come to a halt in disbelief at what they have just seen :D
  • RichN95.

Secret Pro my ar5e
    Robert Wagner. But then he's a Lotto Jumbo rider.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,570
    RichN95 wrote:

Secret Pro my ar5e
    Robert Wagner. But then he's a Lotto Jumbo rider.

And wasn't at the Giro...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I cheekily queried whether Nibali and Chaves might stop (it was obvious they wouldn't). To be fair, they could have waited for him to get back on and then dropped him anyway - that would have probably been "the right thing to do" if it had been purely down to misfortune, but I think that wasn't actually necessary as the crash was caused by Kruijswijk over extending himself to keep up and Nibs could legitimately claim to already be racing with a view to distancing Valverde.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I never understand why people get confused about the "not taking advantage of misfortune"

If it's in the first 100km, and you're cruising along and someone crashes, you don't attack. If, however, the race is on, the bloody race is on. And that was very much the case in the Giro.

TSP is such made up nonsense.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,275
    BigMat wrote:
    I cheekily queried whether Nibali and Chaves might stop (it was obvious they wouldn't). To be fair, they could have waited for him to get back on and then dropped him anyway - that would have probably been "the right thing to do" if it had been purely down to misfortune, but I think that wasn't actually necessary as the crash was caused by Kruijswijk over extending himself to keep up and Nibs could legitimately claim to already be racing with a view to distancing Valverde.

Overthining... a race is a race, you fall I win!
    left the forum March 2023
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    the secret pro gets worse with every issue. its really just not worth the read!...
  • philbar72 wrote:
    the secret pro gets worse with every issue. its really just not worth the read!...

It started getting worse when Stokes joined Cyclingtips

But I'm sure that's just coincidental
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    r0bh wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Love it how the rest of the group he was in almost come to a halt in disbelief at what they have just seen :D

That's up there with Higuita's Scorpion Kick on the WTF scale.

One of my faves too.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    imo the secret pro column is just a regular editor text labelled with a fake "secret pro" author
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ^ unless that's just what they want you to think.
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    and now they have a female secret pro column
    lol, give me a break
  • RichN95.
    EnacheV wrote:
    and now they have a female secret pro column
    lol, give me a break
    But it's full of inside information such as:

Yorkshire women wear too little clothing in the cold
    Women have a crap sense of direction
    Olympic selection is harder for some countries than others
    Women pee differently because they don't have wiĺlies.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,621
    Quite a nasty piece singling out Emma Pooley. No need to make it so personal for what is not such a big deal.

Aside from that, utter utter dross. :lol:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Pooley clearly refused to give Stokes an interview.
  • theknowledge
    theknowledge Posts: 223
    It's really poor stuff. Made all the worse by the comments at the bottom where people are saying how insightful it is. I'm thinking we could have a little competition as to what will be in the next instalment.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I thought it was OK. People are critical if stuff like this is completely anonymised. They are then critical when people are named. If you don't like the concept, maybe don't read it? The stuff on Pooley wasn't even that bad, basically just annoyed at someone coming back 6 months (or whatever it is) before the Olympics. Suggests a UK rider whose Olympic spot might be at risk (or who is close to someone whose spot might be at risk).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Man, today's edition really raises the stakes in being a stinker.

Utterly ridiculous
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    iainf72 wrote:
    Man, today's edition really raises the stakes in being a stinker.

Utterly ridiculous
    I was thinking the same, seriously not worth reading.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Well don't read it then.... moan, moan, moan...

I thought it provided some good insights.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Matti has confirmed the bit about Cancellara.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    No better or worse than usual. Dig at Astana, some anecdotes a reasonably well placed reporter could find out and commentary on how the stages panned out gleaned from the TV.

I guess the semi-dig at Quintana for miraculously improving in the third week was new. Baseless, but new.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Some of the gruppetto stuff was reasonably interesting. The snide digs are well, just filler. The sprinters complaining about GC riders getting in the way of the sprinters? Is this actually a new phenomenon, I'm sure I remember USPS riding up at the front during sprint stages, or at least Lance and George, riding up and keeping out of trouble...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live