Puerto trial

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I liked him as rider, he rode with his heart on his sleeve, never frightened to put his nose in the wind.

His frankness and honesty since getting lifted by the feds has been a real breath of fresh air. I enjoyed the book too.
  • I never saw Hamilton race so cant comment on that aspect. From what I heard he was an exciting and hard rider. However in retrospect he was one of the most doped up riders so how he would have faired sans dope I dont know.

I don't like the current Hamilton as he is clearly after money and fame while pretending he is doing it out of conscience.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    At the end of the day if the individuals won't accept responsibility for their actions their teams should, and 'let them go'. Basso is at the end of his career, sacking him would send a powerful message to younger riders. There's sufficient 'probable cause' to show them the door. I guess not firing them is a reflection on individual team attitudes.....
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Bo Duke wrote:
    At the end of the day if the individuals won't accept responsibility for their actions their teams should, and 'let them go'. Basso is at the end of his career, sacking him would send a powerful message to younger riders. There's sufficient 'probable cause' to show them the door. I guess not firing them is a reflection on individual team attitudes.....

Basso has already served the time for this particular crime.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Ok, I used him as a high profile example! :-)
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • I never saw Hamilton race so cant comment on that aspect. From what I heard he was an exciting and hard rider. However in retrospect he was one of the most doped up riders so how he would have faired sans dope I dont know.

I don't like the current Hamilton as he is clearly after money and fame while pretending he is doing it out of conscience.

He won a 200km solo breakaway, with a broken collarbone, through the Pyrenees. What's not to love?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Bo Duke wrote:
    Ok, I used him as a high profile example! :-)

Not a bad one, anyway. Let's see what comes out of OP and the evidence Gazzetta have that shows that Basso and Fuentes were working together back in 03. Basso may end up taking an early bath for good...
  • Read what I wrote DG.

And I thought you would hate him because he was a hardcore doper. I suppose he isn't Spanish or Italina so that's ok for you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I don't hate dopers. I try to take a nuanced view around what makes people reach for that contingency. My annoyance comes with people who take fans for idiots when caught.

Hamilton I had no respect for for a long time, as a person, due to his obvious lying and wriggling to get off what would seem to be an open and shut case. As a rider, he was classy and had some great wins.

Now, I don't really care if he's telling all for money and fame as I think he has done himself and his sport a favour. I felt bad for his anti depressant bust and you can hardly say he hasn't paid the price for his cheating.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I like that people think you fess up you're suddenly rolling in money from it

Bertie is clearly being protected. I mean, FFS, his "trainer" is in the USADA case and still nothing sticks to him
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Not everyone. In many cases it will impact them negatively. With Hamilton I am sure his book is raking it in and he is getting paid to speak in a few places. Not a millionaire lifestyle but money for being vocal on his crimes.

You think the upper echelons of the sport still protect people? I doubt it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:

Bertie is clearly being protected. I mean, FFS, his "trainer" is in the USADA case and still nothing sticks to him

Especially given his previous status as flat broke

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    iainf72 wrote:

So, do you not think that Hamilton might be significantly better off having co-written a bestselling book, and no doubt all speaking engagements and publicity for his training business that go with it? I'm not saying he's just done it for money, I think it's been good for his soul, but to say he hasn't benefited financially is rubbish.

Agree with you on Contador, he's got some good friends clearly. He's also lucky this blew up when he was still a bit of a nobody, a couple of years later and i'm sure he'd have gone down with it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • “I don’t know what (Contador) could bring to the case. We’ve already had several ex-Liberty Seguros riders testify. What we wanted to demonstrate with (Contador) has already been demonstrated in court,” he said, referring to testimony last week from Joseba Beloki and others who claimed that Fuentes was not involved with Liberty Seguros in 2006.

“I know it would have been very interesting to all of you,” he continued, referring to the gang of journalists pressing in around him in the courtroom lobby. “I have to look out for the interests of my client and I see how the case is evolving and I have to make decisions for the benefit of our case.”

-Arroyo (Saiz's lawyer)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Agree with Iain and inky - the canary fancier's absolutely being protected.

Let's not forget that according to Karsten Kroon last year, Fat Pat called Contador when he tested +

'"Listen, a month after his positive control in the Tour of 2010, Alberto was personally called by UCI President Pat McQuaid, who told him he wanted to keep that quiet. But then it was leaked by the German television.”

'http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kroon-angry-at-uci-over-contador-and-his-own-whereabouts-problems
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I don't think it's the UCI protecting him. i'm pretty sure they think he's dodgy. I mean, exciting rider but he's ridden for Saiz, Bruyneel, Riis and Martinelli.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • the canary fancier's

I can't quite make out whether you mean this in a derogatory manner. Nothing wrong with canaries. I can think of worse things to do with one's time, like smoke for instance.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013
    dupe post
  • iainf72 wrote:
    I don't think it's the UCI protecting him. i'm pretty sure they think he's dodgy. I mean, exciting rider but he's ridden for Saiz, Bruyneel, Riis and Martinelli.

Ah, I see. Well I think now McQ wouldnt dare try to protect him as it seems he did back in '10.

But yeah, he's teflon all round.

Riis will get the boot ahead of him. I used to think that would never happen, especially with Dodgy Oleg in the picture now, but you do wonder how much more Saxo Bank will be able to withstand now that Hamilton's testified under oath.
  • Worth posting this again for those that haven't read it.

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... -know.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Frenchie, you re hilarious today....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    And worth having a look at this as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Contador

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Worth posting this again for those that haven't read it.

"Contador is dark skinned and thick skinned, with long legs and a skinny upper body. He has a high level of muscular strength and endurance, while offering little frontal area for aerodynamics."
  • skylla wrote:

"Contador is dark skinned and thick skinned, with long legs and a skinny upper body. He has a high level of muscular strength and endurance, while offering little frontal area for aerodynamics."

Oh not the bobbins about an iron bike again. There has never been a bike made of iron.

@gietvangent
  • skylla
    edited February 2013
    skylla wrote:

Oh not the bobbins about an iron bike again. There has never been a bike made of iron.

"The old one, an iron Orbea that weighed like a tanker, was passed onto the scrawny little Alberto"

1269626982075-119y74nipmhxu-798-75.jpg
  • It has to be a mistranslation of steel. Go find me an iron bike made by Orbea.

@gietvangent
  • skylla
    It has to be a mistranslation of steel. Go find me an iron bike made by Orbea.

636359474_o.jpg
  • inkyfingers

Unlike Armstrong, we're not debating Contador's character (he seems like a nice enough guy). The question is simply whether he does, or doesn't cheat to win bike races.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766

Care to point out anyone in the peloton that isn't doing it for money and fame ?
  • skylla
    pat1cp wrote:

Care to point out anyone in the peloton that isn't doing it for money and fame ?

your average domestique or manservant?