Puerto trial

Comments

• Unai Osa now on stand. Denials, loss of memory etc (including rather incredibly managing to 'forget' that he broke his collarbone at the Dauphine in 04 and missed the Tour). Requests to the judge from WADA lawyer to remind him that he's on oath, consequences of lying etc. Another one for the (potential) perjury route...
  • Dunno if anyone's interested but Jesus Manzano's dropping bombshells over in the court room today....
  • @tourdejose reporting that Manzano showed the judge his medical card, proving that Fuentes was his Dr (denied by Fuentes). Also says Fuentes gave him Epo.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    What's he saying ? Singing like a canary ?
  • a flock of canaries, more like

Claims that Kelme was the equivalent of USPS in terms of team-wide organised doping. Says that everyone on the team doped except Cuenca who had a problem with a vein in his leg.

(worth pointing out that Piti himself was on the Kelme team from 02-03...)

EDIT:
    Also that Fuentes administered dog and cow medicines to him...WTF...

If you refused to dope on the team you'd be 'out on the street'
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    a flock of canaries, more like

Claims that Kelme was the equivalent of USPS in terms of team-wide organised doping. Says that everyone on the team doped except Cuenca who had a problem with a vein in his leg.

(worth pointing out that Piti himself was on the Kelme team from 02-03...)

EDIT:
    Also that Fuentes administered dog and cow medicines to him...WTF...

If you refused to dope on the team you'd be 'out on the street'

So, they are effectively livestock... kinda seems sums up the attitude of the DSes working at the time
  • Seriously...Manzano says that Kelme's riders would bark/moo after talking the dog/cow products.

I mean...just where the hell do you start....

EDIT:
    Says the team owner funded all the doping
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Seriously...Manzano says that Kelme's riders would bark/moo after talking the dog/cow products.

EDIT:

They didn't actuall bark/moo. They just pretended to, as a joke following taking of such products they knew were intended for dogs/cows
    [Manzano] says there was a joke on the team for the animal drugs they took - "some days we're barking, other days we're mooing."
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Manzano now says that up to 50% of Findus beefburgers are made from ex-Kelme riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013
    Timoid. wrote:
    Seriously...Manzano says that Kelme's riders would bark/moo after talking the dog/cow products.

EDIT:

They didn't actuall bark/moo. They just pretended to, as a joke following taking of such products they knew were intended for dogs/cows
    [Manzano] says there was a joke on the team for the animal drugs they took - "some days we're barking, other days we're mooing."

Perhaps I didnt phrase it very well, I didnt interprete what he said to mean that they'd transformed into the cast of Animal Farm...its shocking enough as it is... :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    new WADA approved dope test - wave a can of pedigree chum under every riders nose, if they growl or bark, 2 year ban!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • or four years if they dry hump your leg
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sounds like to Actovogin stuff that USPS used to use.

With a lot of these people still working in cycling we really need the UCI to sit up and start to take action. I've said before the problem is the old timers that were brought up in the you need to dope to win culture who have forced this onto the current generation
  • sherer wrote:
    sounds like to Actovogin stuff that USPS used to use.

With a lot of these people still working in cycling we really need the UCI to sit up and start to take action. I've said before the problem is the old timers that were brought up in the you need to dope to win culture who have forced this onto the current generation

To be fair to the UCI (did I just say that?) its thanks to them and to WADA working together and jointly fighting repeated attempts in Spain to get it closed down, that the case has actually and finally come to trial. Even John Fahey gives the UCI due credit, when no other international sports federation gave a toot.

Whats happening already is CONI starting an investigation in Cipo - the UCI have to let CONI get on with that. And it'll be surprising if the same thing doesnt happen with Basso.

But yeah, you're right, there are shoot loads of others (and not just riders like Valverde and Vicioso) who are still in the sport.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    When I was in the hospital in France we told them not to do any blood tests because if they had we could have gone to prison

Even if he was in a private hospital surely they can't be told not to do any blood tests? Are they treating their riders in 'sympathetic' hospitals?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    Manzano now says that up to 50% of Findus beefburgers are made from ex-Kelme riders.

I'm having that. Cheers, top work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format

• Great work Manzano.

Forget about going after the riders - all these managers, doctors etc - those people need to be in prison.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    shame channel 4 had to bleep out the names and once again mentions the Spanish have "lost" files and not bothered to look into this properly
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Wonder if there are enough cells for all the riders and team personnel etc committing perjury???

Some of the responses would be hilarious if it wasn't for how serious this is. Hope they keep digging though and hopefully make a real breakthrough in finding evidence of drug abuse in other sports with other big names.

Looks like phenylbutazone might be the only drug for animals that riders have not tried unless they have been eating burgers recently...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    This is showing us how resoundingly successful a Truth and Reconcilliation commission would be. If already sanctioned riders who are under oath can't tell the truth what hope is there for them volunteering it out of the goodness of their hearts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    RichN95 wrote:
    This is showing us how resoundingly successful a Truth and Reconcilliation commission would be. If already sanctioned riders who are under oath can't tell the truth what hope is there for them volunteering it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Maybe if the judge had suggested a group-hug they'd have spilled the beans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Riders - as well as others - who may have lied on oath according to subsequent testimonies and evidence, need to be brought to book. Otherwise there continues to be no negative consequence of lying even under oath, and the never-ending cycle never gets broken.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

Quite

What do we all reckon? I say he'll walk
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Quite

What do we all reckon? I say he'll walk

Fuentes? No, too much evidence coming out - and Hamilton to come - that public health was the last thing on his mind. Also perjured himself by denying that he 'trained' Manazano, who then went and produced the card signed by Fuentes as his doctor.
  • ddraver
    Someone spill the beans about Contador today please - it might cheer me up a bit! The sweedish death metal did nt do the job I was hoping it would...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Someone spill the beans about Contador today please - it might cheer me up a bit! The sweedish death metal did nt do the job I was hoping it would...

Perhaps some Slipknot might help?
  • ddraver
    Maybe, trying Machine Head now.... :P
    - @ddraver