Puerto trial

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Contador will be there on the 22nd in person. Was going to be by video conference before.
    His request to appear via video link declined.

Looks bloody cold in Madrid.
  • I like this one:

"My team knew nothing about me and Fuentes"

So much for the people talking about Riis. Hamilton is such a liar.

I think you'll find there has been an awful lot of lying going on and there's still some happening.

But hey, we all know that this suits your view of Hamilton......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I like this one:

I think you'll find there has been an awful lot of lying going on and there's still some happening.

That's the point, they're all liars in one way or another. It's who's still lying that's interesting
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    I like this one:

That's the point, they're all liars in one way or another. It's who's still lying that's interesting

I'd suggest that between Hamilton and Basso it would be the latter that has more to gain by lying at this point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Just because Hamilton and Basso rode for the same team (at separate times), it doesn't necessarily follow that they had the same experiences.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

He was and still is a supremely talented and classy rider. He was 50x better than Hamilton then and still is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    And everyone knows that being a classy rider correlates 100% with honesty :roll:
  • Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

He was and still is a supremely talented and classy rider. He was 50x better than Hamilton then and still is.

What a load of shite. He took his punishment at the time because he knew, as did everyone else, that it was the tip of the iceberg. He took the pill whilst he was in control of the situation, which was very clever, rather than letting himself get caught up in the subsequent maelstrom. Trouble is, he may still have plenty of skeletons in the cupboard which he can't afford to have come tumbling out.

We will never know who's telling the truth and who isn't because there's so much lying gone on, and to judge who is and isn't by whether you like them or not or their "panache" or perceived talent is quite ridiculous.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Better to direct your anger at those who still claim to be clean and who hung on until they were at the end of their careers anyway before admitting.

King of the Race Face.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    still not sure I believe Basso with his "I didn't dope but thought I might want to in the future so stored my blood just in case"
  • sherer wrote:
    still not sure I believe Basso with his "I didn't dope but thought I might want to in the future so stored my blood just in case"

At 4 grand a bag, just to keep it in a fridge?
    I'm pretty sure it's not believable.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

Funny isn't it that he's nowhere near as classy as he was pre-puerto?
  • Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

If my photo site was working I would drop 10s of photos of him in action.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

In it's own thread then please FF. I like your pics, but not in threads I'm reading on the phone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

Which one?
  • Maybe watch him racing more. His Giro win would be a good place to start - some serious panache and attacking there.

In it's own thread then please FF. I like your pics, but not in threads I'm reading on the phone!

Haha, ok sure : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Basso was one of the very first to admit involvement with Fuentes and serve a two year ban - 6 years ago or so. I'd take Basso's word over a ton of riders.

He didn't voluntarily admit involvement. He was forced into it by CONI who unlike Spanish authorities actually bothered to investigate Puerto doping. And even then he admitted as little as possible in order to keep his E.T. Giro win... he's a joke, has been a shadow of his former self since returning, and hasn't made any effort to fight doping... And those that believe his story about paying a fortune to "store" blood are delusional
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    bipedal wrote:
    ... And if you believe his story about paying a fortune to "store" blood, then you're delusional

On the other hand, Basso got a good deal for the Fuentes fridge bill when you consider Schleck paid Fuentes €7000 to Tippex out the name "Bjarne" and replace it with "Frank" at the top of an old training plan...
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited February 2013
    Basso could be in trouble

http://ciclismo.as.com/ciclismo/2013/02 ... 01974.html

To back up what he told CONI in 07, he swore under oath yday that he started working with Fuentes in Oct 05. But yesterday he was show a fax with his Fuentes code name Birillo (his dog, of course) and showing his order - and dated 27 Apr 05.

Gazzetta are mentioning possibility of him being had up for perjury...and of course, CONI re-opening his file - or opening new one.

EDIT: more clarity in roadcc''s coverage just posted on its site. It points to Gazzeta publishing notes in Fuentes' handwriting dating back to 03 and 04 that point to Basso blood doping and using EPO.

http://road.cc/content/news/76158-gazze ... g-evidence
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    sherer wrote:

Ha ha! Seriously, Basso's "I smoked but didn't inhale" excuse is about as believable as Contador's dodgy steak i.e. not at all.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited February 2013
    Meanwhile, in today's proceedings, Isidro Nozal's appearance in the stand appears to be pushing or even overstepping the boundaries into perjury - at least, from the way that he's had to be reminded that he's on oath, and perjury could led to prison time - and the WADA lawyer has asked the judge to remind the next witness of this.
  • ....and the forensic expert hired by Jesus Manzano' and due to appear at the trial tomorrow has died after a heart attack, its reported.

Cue the conspirary theorists.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    ....and the forensic expert hired by Jesus Manzano' and due to appear at the trial tomorrow has died after a heart attack, its reported.

Cue the conspirary theorists.

Putting any such conspiracies to one side for a moment, I had been wondering about the pressures some of these folk must be under - from all sides; the riders, ex-riders, doctors, advisers, experts, etc - guilty or not - fighting for their careers, reputations and freedom... and was thinking particularly of Contador and how he could possibly be able to continue competing with all this hanging over his head (guilty of his Fuentes connection or not)? I imagine I'd be gently rocking in a darkened room to the sound of birdsong until it all went away.
    I guess, like we saw with Armstrong, eventually it all becomes engrained into your life... but flipping heck!
  • Yes, can hardly be tranquilo or serene underneath the veneer.

Meanwhile Joseba Beloki's on the stand, continuing to deny working with Fuentes, doping, uncle tom cobbley and all. Just been shown what's thought to be his doping calendar, with his phone number on it. Initials JB also on documenation.
  • ^^ wondering where everyone is getting the info from direct from the trial? Is it all via twitter?^^
  • yes, Twitter is our friend

Forgot to mention that Angel Vicioso was meant to appear in court but has a medical report to excuse him. Trust that this only means a rescheduling of his appearance, not that he gets let off altogether.
  • bipedal
    Riis teasing again: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-st ... ion-puerto

He's basically willing to talk if there are no consequences. The Danish authorities need to step in and deal with him. He's no better than Saiz, Bruyneel et al.
  • Richmond Racer
    edited February 2013
    bipedal wrote:

He's basically willing to talk if there are no consequences. The Danish authorities need to step in and deal with him. He's no better than Saiz, Bruyneel et al.

Agreed - and its driving the likes of Danish Cycling Fed and the Danish AD agency mad http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... ark_264950
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6557066610

They also say they're powerless because Riis doesnt have a licence with the Danes but with the UCI - and so they have no power over him, and the UCI have to take it up
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Arguably he's worse, as he doped to win the Tour. has run team wide doping programmes as a manager, and facilitated individual doping of riders on his team.

The sport would be better off without parasites like Riis.
  • bipedal
    bipedal wrote:

Agreed - and its driving the likes of Danish Cycling Fed and the Danish AD agency mad http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... ark_264950
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6557066610

They also say they're powerless because Riis doesnt have a licence with the Danes but with the UCI - and so they have no power over him, and the UCI have to take it up

Wow... that's crazy. Surely the team is registered in Denmark, though? The USADA investigation seems to set a new precedent for investigating teams based upon where they get their cash and base their operations