Snow?

Comments

• SUCH FUN!! SUCH FUN!!

It's OK - the "Men in White Coats" will be there soon... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SUCH FUN!! SUCH FUN!!

And with all that snow about, he won't see them coming.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • SUCH FUN!! SUCH FUN!!

I think they're called snowmen...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Blimey, yet more snow this morning. Still, at least it covered up the ice.

I am extremely ready for spring.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • Meant to be a band of sleet / snow / rain / sleet / thing moving over about midday today and there ARE ominous looking clouds to the west
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Meant to be a band of sleet / snow / rain / sleet / thing moving over about midday today and there ARE ominous looking clouds to the west
    If on the other hand you want omnivourous looking clouds, I give you....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ19o3dKeLpxYbSLzT0bPmdNZf4hkRMk1yzX8c5hERzXEVQGeQ-A
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was expecting early morning ice instead I got snow :evil:

Morning turbo sessions I guess then
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Thread, and weather resurrection!

Couple of inches up here today, and a load more coming down. Lovely ride in, would have been much quicker if it wasn't for all the cars using the road as an impromptu car-park. Even had snow clinging to the front of the bike as I was riding into the blizzard.

AAB9ED81-EC1C-4CED-B893-0018B537EE1B-160-0000001B0658F664_zps16b91a07.jpg
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    itboffin wrote:

to quote you from another thread, MTFU
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Thread, and weather resurrection!

Couple of inches up here today, and a load more coming down. Lovely ride in, would have been much quicker if it wasn't for all the cars using the road as an impromptu car-park. Even had snow clinging to the front of the bike as I was riding into the blizzard.

I whimped out this morning partly because I'd have needed to leave absurdly early to get to work on time with the detour. But, more importantly, one of my riding buddies sent me a text to say that it was -7C and the roads were "mentally slippery". My usual back road has become a rat-run to avoid the bridge queues and it's just not worth mixing it with the idiots that are driving head-on into the rising sun with no idea of how little grip they have either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    gbsahne wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

to quote you from another thread, MTFU

That was from the 9th Feb - do keep up at the back :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I whimped out this morning
    I whimped out too - I was undecided up until the point I looked out the window - strong cross wind with snow still falling - can cope with one or other, but decided not both.
    Glad I did take the car - on the A road it was slippery even for my 4x4 and there were tracks appearing - so had I rode the same road cars would've had more difficulty in avoiding me ...
    If only we had a cycletrack the whole way in ...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I leave the house and there is close to a foot of snow on the ground. I get to work and barely a flake has fallen here :roll:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I knew that I was taking the car in advance as 130 miles is maybe a touch too far. :wink:
    On the other hand, I optimistically loaded the bike into the car for the rest of the week.
    Having seen the forecast I don't know if it was worth the bother. :x
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Commute in from South side of Midlothian to West-Edinburgh took an extra 15 minutes or so this morning with weather ranging from blizzard (short-lived) to relatively pleasant.
    Most of the extra time was as a result of the queuing cars that were blocking my bloomin' way - I rode past numerous short and not-so short lines of traffic. Poor bike does look very grotty now as it's got the brown, slushy snow all over it from me riding through the stuff and cars passing me and spraying my right side.
    I was probably quicker on 2 wheels than the car choice that I had for a change this morning - cup of espresso with an added side-order of MTFU that I had before I left home got me in to work !

Hoping that the current Metoffice forecast, which shows no snow after mid-afternoon for Edinburgh area, is right - it will be pretty cold anyway so I'd prefer not to have the snow blowing in my face to add to the fun this evening.

Edit to add : just when I'd been seriously considering swapping out the 1 CX tyre I've got fitted to the front of my cx-commuter (rear cx tyre doesn't squeeze under the rear brake bridge position due to the mudguard) and installing the 25mm Conti 4-Seasons. Think I'll keep the knobbly on the front for a little while yet.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Over in the Tyne and Wear thread we've found the culprit. Anthdci put his summer wheels and tyres on.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • meanredspider
    Never mind the snow

Wind at 7am SSW
    Wind at 6pm NNW

Guess which direction I'm cycling 17.5 miles on an MTB....
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can't believe there were people wearing shorts today.
    exercise.png
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    +1
    Wind last night - NE headwind
    Wind this morning - W headwind
    Fresh in Perth, -5 or so: eye-watering on the descents. Should maybe take a leaf out of the DH book and wear ski goggles. Roads mostly dry which is nice, but Knapp Den, as usual, has its own climate - snow and water ice more or less continuous for 3 miles or so. Studded tyres worth their weight in gold, that's a lot of weight mind you - looking forward to taking them off: maybe this week, like I've told myself each week since about the start of February.

As for UE's snow on the bike, I see your few flakes and raise you

(that's the front brake you're looking at if you didn't work it out)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    no snow here but plenty of ice chilling wind (-5 when I left) and the odd patch of compacted slush, forming sheets of thick ice; how there can be slush without snow baffles me.
  • -6 this morning. Brrr...

Bompington, excellent effort, Sir - Had one like that a few years back. My favourite snow pic I've taken is this one, though:

frozen.jpg

I like the way that somehow the ice has extended the front mudguard by an inch or so.
  • itboffin
    woken up this morning to heavy snow
    8564944836_ec0130f3af_z.jpg

and still snowing
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    edited March 2013
    itboffin wrote:
    woken up this morning to heavy snow
    8564944836_ec0130f3af_z.jpg

and still snowing
    Not sure even us city dwellers would call that 'heavy' snow, but still surprising as it's been relatively warm (out for a walk with no coat) here, but raining so much that the garden is like a paddy field.

BTW, saw this the other day, and thought you lot in the sticks could do with one.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2013/mar/12/picture-desk-live-the-best-news-pictures-of-the-day?INTCMP=SRCH

Scroll down to 10.57am
    aae6f246-48aa-451e-b842-5fae315b7108-620x372.jpeg
    Perhaps those people in Haywards Heath need one of these: Alexander Yushkov, a boiler room operator in a local mining company, drives his self-made three-wheeled cross-country vehicle called 'Bolivar' near the frozen Mana river in a remote taiga area, southeast of Russia's Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk. Photograph: Ilya Naymushin/reuters
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    True but that was at 6am it continued all day, in fact its still mostly covered this morning.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    itboffin wrote:
    True but that was at 6am it continued all day, in fact its still mostly covered this morning.

Very odd. Too warm for a baselayer in S London this morning.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well I'm watching the heavy sleet that's forecast to change to snow later - and continue snowing for the next 24 hours+

Quite entertaining that circumstances dictate that I'll be riding both ways tomorrow...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    All good fun this morning. Don't think there was much at 5 but by 7 a nice covering. Head out and up the hill only to see a police van parked right across the road. Wasn't too worried for my own commute so I carried on up. Behind it was a pickup truck. At 90 degrees to the direction you'd expect it to be pointed. At 90 degrees to the angle you'd expect it to be on the road!

So there it was, on its side, completely blocking the road, wheels pointing uphill and a flatbed waiting below. How they were going to get it back on its wheels to load it onto the flatbed I wasn't sure because not much would want to be coming down the hill above the pickup. It was pretty slippy going on that gradient with a nice layer of fresh snow on the road only mostly missing in the numerous places where there had been a lot of scrabbling and bouncing off the kerbs by the cars that had reached the hill after the accident but before the police.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Glad I didn't cycle today - I'd have gone on the roadie but we've had 2-3" of snow even at this level - it would have been worse 300ft up at the top of the hill
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hail in the face all the way home!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Hail in the face all the way home!

+1, Rain, hail, blizzard and a 30mph headwind.

I was grinning like an idiot and singing to myself the whole way home.