Snow?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just a quick one for those that keep their bikes in doors;

Make sure that it is fully wiped down, and I mean fully or you keep it on a surface that is wipe clean as the amount of dirt that comes off is unbelievable. Luckily mine is kept on a plastic mat or the EPO would be going mental.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:

Make sure that it is fully wiped down, and I mean fully or you keep it on a surface that is wipe clean as the amount of dirt that comes off is unbelievable. Luckily mine is kept on a plastic mat or the EPO would be going mental.

I thought "what the hell is he on about???" and just checked the garage :shock:

I need a mop. Seriously.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe wrote:

I thought "what the hell is he on about???" and just checked the garage :shock:

I need a mop. Seriously.

The MTB is drying in the spare room on a number of old towels the amount of mud and water is impressive!

Took the old beasty for a snowy 30 miles into the North Downs all good fun.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    No fresh snow yesterday just -4 temps so everything already on the ground froze and today its not stopped snow yet, resulting in a dusting of fresh powered over hard packed snow & ice.

Walking is impossible, I'm bored.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Okay rain today shows the band of snow passing like miles South of me. So anyone (say) South of Loogabooga is getting it and anyone North, ain't.

Bugger.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rubertoe
    its not stopped snowing here since 6 am, might not be going in to work tomorrow.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• itboffin
    Wfh is all well and good but I have stuff to do and the thought of extending my already stupidly long commute any further doesn't fill my with yay!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Went out before today's snowfall, so fair bit of ice around. As a result, four offs in eight miles and my slowest every lap of RP. Would've been quicker running.

Not sure yet what I'll do tomorrow morning. Due to snow this evening and tomorrow afternoon, so I can see the trains being a shambles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Being a total kid about snow, after work I took the bike for a loop though RP, great fun on the trail, though very slow.

As you'd imagine 25mm slicks are not great on snow and ice, though worse on slush/ice! great fun though some fly by your seat riding to remain upright!
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited January 2013
    Spike tyres are ready, as am I.

I will be letting people travelling from the South know what the roads are like. TBH, I think if you can work from home you may as well.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I drove about a bit today, think the main roads are fine for riding on, as long as you don't mind getting mucky.

So I will be commuting as normal tomorrow, but will avoid pens ponds...maybe ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Over the last couple of days maybe 3-4 inches.
    spent a couple of hours yesterday clearing the drive my house sits in to the road , probably 200 feet or so then another hour plus today.Looking out it is already covered again .
    All side roads are very dicey and even the main roads were bad friday evening as lorries were struggling up a 7% gradient that had been gritted .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    8-12" in places here, no sign of stopping :D
    Talked myself out of commuting to work in that (seriously don't get paid enough to risk my life getting there) to realise PT isn't running, so i suppose i have to stay home and build an igloo or snow jumps for the mtb :lol:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    field by mine was quite thick with snow...

Molly seemed to like it though

IMG-20130118-00115_zpsbf3808d5.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    snow was too thick on the fields for the MTB near me, may try cutting through it on the commuter later but thinking a hot bath & more caffeine for now.. legs like jelly trying to control back end and put power down, resorted to actually unlocking the forks :shock: and bouncing up the front end to calve through it all.
    Uphill i found futile without spikes :!:
  • itboffin
    So who's got some? We've had the hail so far this morning, snow at 8am or so they say.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Nowt here, and the wind has dropped considerably. Still hoping that it's a tail-wind.
  • Well, it's white-ish out there, perhaps about half an inch. That's a good eight-inches to GTVLusso. :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Apparently there is slush in Manchester. That seems a reasonable excuse to keep us sitting on the Tarmac at Heathrow for the next hour and a bit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Hmmmm...stuck on a runway awaiting a trip to Manchester?

lols.jpg
  • I don't know whether to respond to the "Snow" thread or the "Wind" thread - maybe I should start a "MTFU and deal with Snow AND Wind" thread...

Last two mornings the snow has been piling down (well, across) in 40mph winds. Frustrated, I was going to try the bike this morning but Mrs MRS threw a hissy fit so I was forced to drive...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    I don't know whether to respond to the "Snow" thread or the "Wind" thread - maybe I should start a "MTFU and deal with Snow AND Wind" thread...

Last two mornings the snow has been piling down (well, across) in 40mph winds. Frustrated, I was going to try the bike this morning but Mrs MRS threw a hissy fit so I was forced to drive...

Get a new Mrs MRS, MRS! (alot of Mrs/MRS's in there).

• No snow in East Anglia, but some nasty black ice that caught me out and brought me down not once but twice. Coupled with a right barsteward of headwind, I didn't much enjoy the commute this morning and I set a new all-time slowest time. Nice and sunny,though.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I thought councils in Scotland at least were supposed to be prepared for this s**t now. So could someone explain why none of the main roads in Lanarkshire (either council) look like a plough has been near them :evil:
  • FFS

I wake up this morning to the radio blaring out dire warnings of blizzards, drifts, high winds, freezing temps - possible Russian Ships sailing by the library and wolves.

So, discretion being the better part of valour, I lie in for an hour and drive in.

Through blazing blue skies and light winds.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    we have had some hail but no snow

properly horrible strong winds though

i thought i was going to end up in Oz this morning...
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Well, last night it was hail in the face courtesy of Westerly winds whilst heading home. This morning, heading in to work, the same Westerly winds gave me a pile of snow in the face. It would be nice to think that with the wind directly behind me, I might be safe from headwinds but apparently not. Snow settled on the back roads but otherwise all easy enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • suzyb wrote:
    I thought councils in Scotland at least were supposed to be prepared for this s**t now. So could someone explain why none of the main roads in Lanarkshire (either council) look like a plough has been near them :evil:

Perhaps they have spent all their money on free prescriptions, free University education and an extra tier of government :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • suzyb wrote:

Not great here off the main roads. School buses cancelled.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I saw the same gritter going past my office four times in 10 minutes yesterday. Now that's service.

In other news, single-speed, Marathon Winter tyres, 30 mph average/50 mph gusting headwind, snow.

SUCH FUN!! SUCH FUN!!