CCCC2CCC(CrudCatcherCymruCoast2CoastCharityChallenge)

Comments

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    tudj wrote:
    I've just had the days off authorised, I'm a definite now! :D

sweet, have you added me on FB recently or do you use it?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I'll add you, I don't really use it much but any messages posted in a group will come to my phone
  • Gazlar
    cool as ive built a group to which I shall add resources and files, Speaking of which, just added the first article I found on a similar ride and am in the process of uploading the next one.

If I get chance later I shall scan in the rough map of whats being proposed, it is rough at the minute as theres sections to alter and bits to move around but it'll give you a rough idea of the lenths and the climbs
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    A big important message to everyone. Just gone through the route and its become apparent very quickly accomodation in some of the remote places we are staying becomes very limited very quickly, with that in mind, and with the knowledge that many of you have said they are definately in, I'd like to actually start booking rooms a lot sooner than first thought (ie in the next week or so), firstly to try and secure our accomodation, and secondly if those rooms aren't available to give us as much time as possible to plot a plan B. The total cost so far of the proposed rooms is approx £117 (not including the last night in Swansea) and I'm guessing it would be a deposit required at this stage for most places.

If people want to get in touch by Facebook, email or text me if you have my number and I can start ringing round on Monday say
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Hmm just started to look at this thread, not sure I'll be able to do the ride due to being at uni and being expected to work etc... It's a bit of a nuisance but it's my last term of lectures and be getting on towards my final exams pre-rotations so I'll kind of have to be knuckling down and keeping up to date can't afford the week off. If I fail 'em it's kind of a big deal.

I would however be very happy to join you guys on some training rides, to sponsor you myself, and slightly nearer the time (I'm thinking start of May when people get their student loans in again) see if I can get a mass email sent round the uni or if not spam the hell out of the facebook page and try and annoy some people into coughing up that way.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    foxc_uk wrote:
    I'm defo in for Peaks rides, the routes I know up there are hard but very worth it, and more like what you'd actually be riding..

Cool! That would be fantastic.

What kind of dates would suit you? (once the snow thaws!)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Hmm, I've just booked my place on the Trailmasters event in May.. and this seems like the ideal follow up / progression..

Anyone know what the weather's going to be like? :mrgreen:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    frogstomp wrote:
    Hmm, I've just booked my place on the Trailmasters event in May.. and this seems like the ideal follow up / progression..

Wet.
  • Gazlar
    ste_t wrote:
    frogstomp wrote:

Wet.

Like the women that sees us
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Clank wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:
    I'm defo in for Peaks rides, the routes I know up there are hard but very worth it, and more like what you'd actually be riding..

Cool! That would be fantastic.

What kind of dates would suit you? (once the snow thaws!)
    Currently thinking 16th Feb (snow permitting) (although last year we did a snow ride, was great fun!)
    Other than that don't have any specific dates as I'm having to keep a few weekends open so I can a)find somewhere to live b)pack c) move d) ???? e) PROFIT?!
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Where are you planning on riding? I need to try and get a lift sorted if it's not ridable from my house :P
  • foxc_uk
    tudj wrote:
    Where are you planning on riding? I need to try and get a lift sorted if it's not ridable from my house :P
    We normally head out from Hope, we have a couple of loops that we like in particular, but not averse to doing different routes.
  • Clank
    foxc_uk wrote:
    We normally head out from Hope, we have a couple of loops that we like in particular, but not averse to doing different routes.

Well, if it's on, I'd love to tag alone - if that's, ok.

I'd just need details like where in hope, what time etc.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• foxc_uk
    Clank wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:

Well, if it's on, I'd love to tag alone - if that's, ok.

I'd just need details like where in hope, what time etc.

Sure! I'll post up something when I'm back off my hols!
  • Clank
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Sure! I'll post up something when I'm back off my hols!

Many thanks!

..and enjoy the hols! And the packing, and the accomodation hunt, and the...............

• El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Rightyho then, a couple questions regarding logistics...

1. How are we all getting to North Wales/Rhyl? Train isn't really an option for me as I'll have quite a bit of gear to carry (see point 2). I am assuming everyone will be travelling to North Wales on the 22nd September? I'd just like to point out that the 22nd is my birthday and I'll be the big five oh...

2. As some of you know, I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. As such, I'll need to carry (whilst riding) vast amounts of food. Also, I'll need to plan where and when and what I'm eating through the week. Evenings aren't too much of an issue as long as there's a support vehicle carrying stuffs between overnight stops. The one that concerns me is lunchz0rz.

Depending upon how the answers to the above go, I'm pretty much a definite for this...
  • Gazlar
    There's always one ain't there ;op

Right, let's start with point 2. There will be 2 support vehicles which I have factored in regular road sections of trail so as we can meet up with them for supplies as required. Add far as lunch goes there's nothing concrete in the route as far as that goes so I can look at that if you let me know what your needs are and try and for in a plan that keeps you alive, I don't fancy trail riding weekend at Bernies style.

Getting up to Conwy, I was going to use the train, but depending on how many people want to park at the finish I could look into the coast of either a mini coach/bus or hiring a van and car on a one way lease, I mean let's say a car and a van, seats 8, maybe 10 with a 7 seater mpv, estimate 200 notes to rent, fuel another 100 quid split by ten that's 30 quid each and cheaper than train and more convenient.

How many of you would be interested in parking at the finish and traveling up together?
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Cheers. I may leave my car at the finish or arrange for one of my family to collect me. Either way a mini-bus/coach up to the start would help.

I'll have a look see at the route, and see what eateries are close to or on the way. If we're riding near or on trail centres, they normally have a cafe which means bacon/cake/chocolate etc.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Me. I'd prefer to drive down and therefore have car waiting at the finish than leave the car at the start.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Gazlar
    Looking at these people http://www.muckyweekends.co.uk/index.html for transfer, dunno what they charge etc but seem to be based in the right kind of area and with capacity for the right number
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • If I drive there, it would depend on if we could leave the car at the start, as then it's a shorter drive home. However, if it's easier leaving them in the South, then that's fine with me.

Of course, I may try scrounging a lift of someone beforehand ;)
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar
    fair enough, looking that the start may actually become Llandodnu, so have a word with ste_t as he might know somewhere for parking, although what would the plan be for getting back to the car.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I'll be able to figure somewhere to park when we have an idea on numbers. The missus is taking me there on the Sunday so we'll have room for a passenger from Nottingham or anywhere on the way.

As far as places to stay go, gazlar - I know where the hostel is you mentioned on facebook as I lived over the road. For that price I should be able to sort an ok hotel or decent b&b. Got one who sponsered me for the Kaiser so should be able to get a deal. I'll ring around today and let you know.

No luck getting hold of my mate who deals with Garmin. I think he was off on holiday last week but I'lltry him again.
  • Gazlar
    Cheers Ste

I wont put you down on the bus list then, I have contacted a local coach company for a quote, see what that comes back as.

And cheers about the Hotels, dont worry too much if that doesnt come off as the hostel Isnt dear at 20 quid pppn, but if you know places and can get us a good deal then obviously it would be silly not to. Same with garmin fella, we literally have months so theres no rush, I'm just bustling along getting the framework in place so that come the start of the training rides we can concentrate more on training and raising cash.

Your help is much appreciated tho mate
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Hey, I've only recently started paying attention to this. I may be interested, but I need to check over the details when I have some spare time soon.
    Is there anywhere where you have fuller details, without having to read 9 pages of this thread?
  • Gazlar
    Ill add you to the group now, think you will have to be the last entrant if you are up for it

rough details...meeting in Llandudno 22nd although you copuld meet us the 23rd if you wanted, 6 days riding between 30 and 43 miles per day staying in various bunkhouses and hotels then Sat night at Brynn Bettws lodge at afan post ride for a beer and 4x sunday.

Accomodation is about 150 - 170 quid depending on if you stay in Llandudno

deposit now will be 18 quid to include brynn bettws which hopefully ill book next week

if you got any specific questions gimme a yell on fb and ill try and answer them
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    hmm, I reckon I could get my fitness up to par by then, no problem, but I've got a lot of things happening between August and October, so if you need confirmations within the next week, I'll have to give it a miss I'm afraid.
    I might join you for the first leg or two, but I can't quite commit just yet I'm afraid.
    Good luck to all of you though.
  • Gazlar
    Mr yeehaa

We have potentially 15 riding so don't want to take in many more really due to the support side and hostelry. If you want t take part either fully or partially we can add you as it's just you and there's no prove with getting you to the start as add there's room in all the inns at such a time you decide, it's just the possibility that at spoke point down the line there may not be beds available at some of the places we're staying
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    Wow, just noticed this has become a sticky..... I just went through 3 Pisces looking for it.

Anyway, a bit low quality at times, but here's a 3d featured video of the route
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLzerYk9yM&sns=em

Sorry I missed the day riders off the credits at the end but I'm working on a higher resolution video so I'll add your names to that
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar wrote:
    ..... I just went through 3 Pisces looking for it.
    :lol:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro