CCCC2CCC(CrudCatcherCymruCoast2CoastCharityChallenge)

Comments

• Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Just a thought, have you tried to approach companies for sponsorship? Garmin for one, also bike manufactures for donations of inner tubes/ tyres, asking for money isn't the best way forward as most large companies sponsor charities anyhow, but kit donations might be a good idea.

Some ideas for my 2p worth; companies who make

Energy Bars/food.
    Bike spares
    Garmin (perhaps offer to test a new product)
    Camelbak

Also a local paper, or several, for coverage and drumming up support.

I'm no way fit enough to do it, but huge respect to those who do, and good luck.
    Cheers,
    Simon.
  • A lot of talk of "You're gonna have a sore bum by the third day" is putting me off, however, it's also motivating me further :D I like the idea of getting sponsorship from companies like Garmin and innertube people, makes sense for this really.

Maybe if we can organise a couple of training rides sooner than later, then we'll know if we* can do it or not by the end of May. I can't confirm the time off work yet as my holiday card comes out in April.

*By "we" I mean "I" as I'm quite prone to falling off the bike at the start of a journey, rather than the end.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Newfish wrote:
    Just a thought, have you tried to approach companies for sponsorship? Garmin for one, also bike manufactures for donations of inner tubes/ tyres, asking for money isn't the best way forward as most large companies sponsor charities anyhow, but kit donations might be a good idea.

Energy Bars/food.
    Bike spares
    Camelbak

I'm no way fit enough to do it, but huge respect to those who do, and good luck.

It's a good idea, but you'll probably find that most companies receive hundreds of similar requests on a weekly basis, so you'll receive a standard 'sorry can't help' response. You might be better off finding a LBS or small chain of shops that might be willing to help with stuff for a bit of advertising (jerseys etc)...
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Yeah having seen what Sarah (Kaisers Fiance) achieved in 2 months was inspirational so i will be exploring all avenues like that a little closer to the date. If anyone has contacts that may be useful its greatly appreciated .

Training ride wise i was thinking of something simple to begin with, maybe 40 miles of blue run laps that way if it gets too much people can stop, but get a feel for off road distance without killing themself. Some time February?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Definitely ramp up some PR beforehand - i'm happy to do this if it would help? Could also contact Future Publishing nearer the time so that they are aware of what we are up to :D

Training days are a great idea but (selfishly) preferably not the 9th Feb as my landlords need to pop over and I have put them off so much they probably think I have turned their house into a canabis farm or something :?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Gazlar
    Ok and im out the week after as its Mrs Gazlars birthday. Ill look at the calendar and pick a date later . Ill also try living venues about a bit too to help ppl. I think a lot of onus is going to be on individual training but if i try and work in 4 key group trainings and individually we can organise others ad hoc.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Newfish wrote:

Energy Bars/food.
    Bike spares
    Camelbak

It's a good idea, but you'll probably find that most companies receive hundreds of similar requests on a weekly basis, so you'll receive a standard 'sorry can't help' response. You might be better off finding a LBS or small chain of shops that might be willing to help with stuff for a bit of advertising (jerseys etc)...

You are off to work for Trek ..... Ummmmm! I have a cunning plan
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Richie63 wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Newfish wrote:

Energy Bars/food.
    Bike spares
    Camelbak

One of my key tasks will be.... replying to sponsorship requests with 'sorry can't help' responses... :?
  • Gazlar
    Richie63 wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Newfish wrote:

Energy Bars/food.
    Bike spares
    Camelbak

I think that's what foxc was alluding to.....I think she's got a cunning stunt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm currently sponsored by my LBS and continental tyres so I could always have words with them and see what we can get :)
  • Gazlar wrote:
    Training ride wise i was thinking of something simple to begin with, maybe 40 miles of blue run laps that way if it gets too much people can stop, but get a feel for off road distance without killing themself. Some time February?
    Blue runs is a good idea actually, as is the Dolby Red Route. Not the most thrilling ride in the world, however it's about 30 odd miles of up and down. More up than down it feels at times. It was good training for the IOM E2E
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar wrote:
    Blue runs is a good idea actually, as is the Dolby Red Route. Not the most thrilling ride in the world, however it's about 30 odd miles of up and down. More up than down it feels at times. It was good training for the IOM E2E

Yeah i think get the distance in your legs and then gradually add in more and more terrain and climb. Was thinking FOD for the first run as its got a bit of tech in there, gentle climbs and 7 miles laps so a regular drop out/stop if it gets too much/ too dark etc. I know its a trek for some but like said ill move the training around so that there's something close for all
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lawman
    Cannocks always a good place too, few laps of follow the dog and some unmarked stuff too. Could always try the long mynd too.
  • Gazlar
    lawman wrote:
    Cannocks always a good place too, few laps of follow the dog and some unmarked stuff too. Could always try the long mynd too.

Not with you bloody navigating though
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • miss notax
    Cannock?!!! That's, like, up north :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• lawman
    Gazlar wrote:
    lawman wrote:

My navigation was fine, if I remember rightly you insisted going that way thinking it would lead the same place... Which it clearly didn't :P the route I found was, well, more interesting anyway :lol:
  • Can't have been that good, you nearly died ;)
    :lol: As true as this is, it was because of the clipless pedals I put on my old bike, 3 days before the event. To this day I don't know why I thought that was a good idea, it caused me problems for years afterwards.

I've learnt my lesson now though, and got a fantastic bouncy bike that will be perfect for this event :D
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar
    lawman wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    lawman wrote:

My navigation was fine, if I remember rightly you insisted going that way thinking it would lead the same place... Which it clearly didn't :P the route I found was, well, more interesting anyway :lol:

Trying to style out a cliff as being a 100 foot drop off is interesting i spose, but how you found a cliff on the mynd is beyond me!

Miss notax....yep lol but also quite central and got some good climbing
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    Gazlar wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    Was thinking FOD for the first run as its got a bit of tech in there, gentle climbs and 7 miles laps so a regular drop out/stop if it gets too much/ too dark etc. I know its a trek for some but like said ill move the training around so that there's something close for all

Over £70 on the train :shock: , unless I can jump in with someone heading from my direction I'd have to give that one a miss :P
  • Gazlar
    Look at advance fares too if there's any. That's the thing the group rides will be suitable for some and not others because of date and location just thinking if everyone can get to one
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tudj wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    Was thinking FOD for the first run as its got a bit of tech in there, gentle climbs and 7 miles laps so a regular drop out/stop if it gets too much/ too dark etc. I know its a trek for some but like said ill move the training around so that there's something close for all

Over £70 on the train :shock: , unless I can jump in with someone heading from my direction I'd have to give that one a miss :P
    £70 to FOD? Where abouts in S. Manchester are you? I can always pick you up en route from Bury (North Manchester - the nicer part)
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    That's the best I found on thetrainline (i'm guessing that's what you mean by advance).

I'll hold out for a nearer one, if I can't make any it's not a massive issue for me, I can do plenty of longish rides with my club and just add some miles of my own to the shorter ones.
    £70 to FOD? Where abouts in S. Manchester are you? I can always pick you up en route from Bury (North Manchester - the nicer part)

Stockport, that would be great. Would obviously contribute to petrol/beer.
  • Gazlar
    lawman wrote:
    I'm currently sponsored by my LBS and continental tyres so I could always have words with them and see what we can get :)

Which lbs? Aber? Just slinging ideas here but i think its day 3 that ends near aber.....what could be useful is if they could spare a mechanic or 2 in the eve to once over the bikes and moreso check wheels are good. I know were mostly technically adept but a pro once over might be good following 3 days constant battering
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • miss notax
    Gazlar wrote:
    I know were mostly technically adept

I'm definitely not :oops:

I changed my first set of brake pads last weekend and that's as good as it gets for me i'm afraid :shock:

• Gazlar
    miss notax wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

I changed my first set of brake pads last weekend and that's as good as it gets for me i'm afraid :shock:

Yes but you are a woman.....a woman with eyelashes that flutter and a pretty smile. That gets bike repairs done far more effectively than a park guide and a set of Allen keys
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

Yes but you are a woman.....a woman with eyelashes that flutter and a pretty smile. That gets bike repairs done far more effectively than a park guide and a set of Allen keys
    I respond well to fluttering eyelashes as well, so you'll be fine.

Unless you're massively ugly, but I've seen your profile picture and know you're not, so you'll be fine (These sentences were aimed at miss notax, but Gazlar, if you play your cards right.... ;) )
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

I respond well to fluttering eyelashes as well, so you'll be fine.

Unless you're massively ugly, but I've seen your profile picture and know you're not, so you'll be fine (These sentences were aimed at miss notax, but Gazlar, if you play your cards right.... ;) )

Theres no playing cards here, King Gazlar will be giving you a Royal flush ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    lawman wrote:

A pair of 29er Mountain Kings would be champion! :lol:
    A lot of talk of "You're gonna have a sore bum by the third day" is putting me off, however, it's also motivating me further :D .

'Xactly right. As the popular meme says:
    27754194.jpg
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    lawman wrote:

If some folk have to travel that far, may as well go a few extra miles and hit the Peaks - got some altitude training in!

Not that I've got owt against Cannock! (there Tuesday, as it happens) 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.