CCCC2CCC(CrudCatcherCymruCoast2CoastCharityChallenge)

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited October 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Hello Scuttling tribe

I am plotting an assault of the north to south Wales coast to coast in September of this year and would like to open all or some of the ride to you orrible lot. There's been a bit of interest so far so here's the details we have at the mo.

Riding from Mon 23rd of Sept until the Saturday of that week.....stopoffs and finer details of the route are in the planning stage. We have a support vehicle to carry kit and supplies.

The ride itself spans from Conwy to The Gower, 268 off road miles with nearly 9000m total climbing. Bunkhouse/hostel sleepovers en route.

Because of the severity of the route, physically it'll require a commitment to get in proper peak fitness as the schedule is tight and we can't afford to carry people. Also we welcome people joining us for part of the ride but please be aware as its point to point riding you would have to sort out transport for yourself for that, even a days ride will be about 50 miles.

There is a charity mentioned but not confirmed.

So yeah, this is the basic premise and ill now open the floor to comments and questions
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'm in.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Gazlar
    Clank wrote:
    I'm in.

Didn't feel a thing ;o)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • I'm also in. Can't beat a bit of double penetration.
  • When do you need confirmation by? If I can improve my fitness by then, I'm in.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar
    Id say ill book the hostels by mid may/June but that's why its mentioned now so people can gauge fitness etc. Will need to keep numbers to a level so accommodation can be found and there's room in the van for kit.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Whats the route?

Is it the Sustrans National Route your're looking at? Holyhead to Cardiff highlighted in yellow..

Sustrans_zpsddfd5576.jpg
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm really interested too but replied in the less scary forum :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Hmmmm interesting. I'm a maybe :)

I know a guy who's done it in less than 20 hours, he's also done it there and back in less than 48!!!!!! Check out Dave Buchanan. I could probably get him to come and give us s brief of what to expect
  • Gazlar
    Whats the route?

Is it the Sustrans National Route your're looking at? Holyhead to Cardiff highlighted in yellow..

Sustrans_zpsddfd5576.jpg

No its the Sarn Helen old Roman road from Conwy to Swansea/Gower there is a sustrans Sarn Helen route too which could be useful if we need to shortcut and make up time but the original is more rugged and off road

SarnHelenTrail_map_sm.jpg
    Good response so far though
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar wrote:
    Whats the route?

Sustrans_zpsddfd5576.jpg

No its the Sarn Helen old Roman road from Conwy to Swansea/Gower there is a sustrans Sarn Helen route too which could be useful if we need to shortcut and make up time but the original is more rugged and off road

SarnHelenTrail_map_sm.jpg
    Good response so far though

Ahh superb!!

That sounds good... looks tough though!

405253_d3aa8b3c.jpg
  • miss notax
    Looks brilliant 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• I'm definitely up for it, and I'll get out on the bike more this year, so it should be a yes from me.

If that picture is downhill, then no worries. If it is uphill, then many, many worries!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Will have to see how uni and shizzz works out, but if I'm free then I'll be there :)
  • Gazlar
    If it was easy it wouldn't be fun. But yeah it looks tough and interesting, that's why ill be planning in shortcut options should we get delayed or collectively find the going tough and need short easier sections. There is also the option of starting on the Sunday and adding an extra day but important conscious of making it too long a time commitment for ppl.

Think 45 miles a day is ok, start early and plot on
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • I recon start on the Monday, that gives us the weekend before to prepare for it, and the following Sunday to recover before returning to work (in my case, anyway).

45 miles a day should be nicely doable. The IOM E2E was about 32miles if I remember rightly, and most people finished that in around 5 hours (or 6 for me, but I was in pain!) so I think that's doable.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • can we end the ride here?

A_xtctZCIAACk19.jpg
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Now this looks like fun! :D
    Will have to do the necessary checks for that week, defo interested though!!
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No way I could even contemplate somthing like that - good on you for giving it a bash. I may well join up with you for a day's ride when you get nearer home, though, when you're nice and tired out ;)
  • So it's basically like doing a race-pace End 2 end, 6 days in a row? :shock:

I'm not mental, and for that reason, I'm out.

Good luck to those doing it though. I'll throw in some sponsor money at some point.
  • Gazlar
    can we end the ride here?

A_xtctZCIAACk19.jpg

Unfortunately not as cardiff isn't swansea but might have to nip and have that on the Monday morning afterwards
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    Some pics and a blog to have a browse of
    http://members.multimania.co.uk/garyjoh ... /#Cyclists

Btw Clank you wouldn't happen to have gpx files when you've plotted the route would you?
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp

Good luck to those doing it though. I'll throw in some sponsor money at some point.
    Surely it's not race pace though, as you can do an extra 10 miles of riding, but maybe take another 5 hours. So 45 miles in 10 hours, rather than 32 in 5. Half the speed, which in my opinion, is great ;)

Go ooooooon, you know you want to!
    tumblr_lqkaa0cc7Z1r25534o1_500.gif
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Gazlar wrote:
    Some pics and a blog to have a browse of
    http://members.multimania.co.uk/garyjoh ... /#Cyclists

Btw Clank you wouldn't happen to have gpx files when you've plotted the route would you?

That looks brilliant. Definatly up for this... just after my Birthday too lol.
  • Gazlar
    Right so so far

Definitely

Gazlar
    Clank
    Miss Notax
    NorthernMonkey
    Ste-T

Probably/Possibly
    KickingMule
    Oldman
    Tudj
    Welshkev
    Lawman

To be edited as time goes on
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • miss notax
    Regarding the charity element of this, does anyone object to me setting up a group sponsorship page for Cancer Research UK? It's a charity that means a lot to me personally, and one that has probably supported and helped more people than we realise :|

Surely it's not race pace though, as you can do an extra 10 miles of riding, but maybe take another 5 hours. So 45 miles in 10 hours, rather than 32 in 5. Half the speed, which in my opinion, is great ;)

You've got to be realistic about it though. You're not going to want to be in the saddle much more than 7hrs a day if you're sustaining it for 6 days straight. Say you set off at 9am each day, ride until 1pm, hours rest for lunch etc, then back on again arriving at your destination around 5pm. It's easy enough doing it for a day or 2, maybe even 3. But after that I could see it being seriously tough for those who have failed to prepare properly. Last time I did the E2E in 5hrs, I needed almost a weeks recovery before I could even look at the bike again. That's without factoring in horrible weather, massive headwinds etc.

It's fully do-able of course. Just that as Gaz said in this OP, it's going to require a serious investment of time and energy from those wishing to do it. Certainly more time than I'd be able to 100% commit to anyway.

I am however planning on doing a 24hr marathon in summer, and 3 laps of the TT course on open roads before that. So I've met my challenge quota for the year anyway. ;)
  • Gazlar
    Well sat CWNT even with catchup routes its going to be really hard and fair play for saying you can't commit to having the right fitness.

Looking into a couple of group training rides, maybe one pre may so keeps can assess their relative skills and fitness
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp

You've got to be realistic about it though. You're not going to want to be in the saddle much more than 7hrs a day if you're sustaining it for 6 days straight. Say you set off at 9am each day, ride until 1pm, hours rest for lunch etc, then back on again arriving at your destination around 5pm. It's easy enough doing it for a day or 2, maybe even 3. But after that I could see it being seriously tough for those who have failed to prepare properly. Last time I did the E2E in 5hrs, I needed almost a weeks recovery before I could even look at the bike again. That's without factoring in horrible weather, massive headwinds etc.

It's fully do-able of course. Just that as Gaz said in this OP, it's going to require a serious investment of time and energy from those wishing to do it. Certainly more time than I'd be able to 100% commit to anyway.

I am however planning on doing a 24hr marathon in summer, and 3 laps of the TT course on open roads before that. So I've met my challenge quota for the year anyway. ;)
    Bloody roadie wimp :wink:

Nah I see where you're coming from, but I need a challenge and something to work towards!
    I have the Wentwood Enduro coming up so training has already begun.

Did the Brecon - Cardiff Taff Trail (52 miles) route before xmas with literally no training in around 4-5 hours and felt fine afterwards.

Remember this is as much about fitness as it is ensuring you eat the right fuel and enough fuel.

I should be able to help if anyone needs advice regarding what to eat etc if required as its what I have my degree in lol.
  • miss notax
    I should be able to help if anyone needs advice regarding what to eat etc if required as its what I have my degree in lol.

Oh good. Can you tell me what to eat to enable me to ride 45 miles a day off road, for 5/6 consecutive days, please? :wink:

• speedballs, and lots of them.

and Tiger blood. Drink lots and lots of Tiger blood!

It's true, Charlie Sheen told me.