CCCC2CCC(CrudCatcherCymruCoast2CoastCharityChallenge)

Comments

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Clank wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Cannocks always a good place too, few laps of follow the dog and some unmarked stuff too. Could always try the long mynd too.

If some folk have to travel that far, may as well go a few extra miles and hit the Peaks - got some altitude training in!

Not that I've got owt against Cannock! (there Tuesday, as it happens) 8)

Peaks looking at it is best part of a 4-5 hour drive from down here depending on what part. Thinking would it work better if alongside some quite centrally placed training runs handy for most I did some South and Wales routes and you did some North/Midlands when time allowed and compare data. as time allows of course? or anyone else for that matter that wants to pick a ride and throw it open to the team
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • The Nant Y Arian Syfydrin Trail would be very similar to the stuff we'd be riding.

Its a fu*ker of a ride too, very very nearly gave up on that one lol, was my 1st taste of proper style XC.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I think i'm probably the furthest south of everyone but I honestly don't mind where the training weekends are - if I can make them I will, and if I can't I won't :D

I love riding in Wales, the Peaks and as trail centres go I am particularly partial to Nant Y Arian, but i'll also drive up to Cannock if needs be (although I agree it is temptingly close to the Peaks, and I would probably take a few days off and carry on up for some biking up there anyway :D )

When biking is concerned, i'm easy pleased :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Gazlar wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    I'm currently sponsored by my LBS and continental tyres so I could always have words with them and see what we can get :)

Which lbs? Aber? Just slinging ideas here but i think its day 3 that ends near aber.....what could be useful is if they could spare a mechanic or 2 in the eve to once over the bikes and moreso check wheels are good. I know were mostly technically adept but a pro once over might be good following 3 days constant battering

Aye Summit Cycles in Aber, just popped in today actually and if I drop them an e-mail with the full details they'll see if they can help out in anyway if possible :) They're a good set of guys there, so I'm we'll have some kind of support from them, even if it is just discount on tubes and tyres etc :)
  • Gazlar
    The Nant Y Arian Syfydrin Trail would be very similar to the stuff we'd be riding.

Its a fu*ker of a ride too, very very nearly gave up on that one lol, was my 1st taste of proper style XC.

I was saying the very same to Lawman yesterday in a little chat. He reckons its a bit boggy and unrideable at the mo for obvious reasons but make it late spring summer and itll be fine hopefully
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar wrote:
    The Nant Y Arian Syfydrin Trail would be very similar to the stuff we'd be riding.

I was saying the very same to Lawman yesterday in a little chat. He reckons its a bit boggy and unrideable at the mo for obvious reasons but make it late spring summer and itll be fine hopefully

I think we did it 2 years ago last summer... axle/bb high stagnant water was the order of the day!
  • lawman
    Aye Nant is a bloody good ride, even if the Conti loop is a complete bog the rest of the centre is normally pretty good, its only the stuff out in the wild that shows the weather more than anything, so even if the longer loop is unrideable, theres plenty to do on other trails and its easy to do laps of shorted routes if need be :) Could always organise a ride out from aber town centre to nant and back, few un-marked trails on the way and its about 30 miles all in, including the summit trail at nant, plus Aber is a fooking awesome night out if anyone wanted to make a few days of it!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Gazlar wrote:
    Peaks looking at it is best part of a 4-5 hour drive from down here depending on what part. Thinking would it work better if alongside some quite centrally placed training runs handy for most I did some South and Wales routes and you did some North/Midlands when time allowed and compare data. as time allows of course? or anyone else for that matter that wants to pick a ride and throw it open to the team

Yeah, I'm quite lucky. My immediate trails kinda suck, but Cannock is an hour, FOD is about 1.5, Marches is about 1.5, Peaks 1.5-2hrs depending on where, Deggy is two hours (apperently!).

But I am painfully aware of journey times and fuel costs. I'd like to get a couple (at least) of weekends in - doing a good ride both days, so hopefully it makes up for some of the travelling that some folk might find themselves having to do. I have a good plan for two rides from Brecon, and a few routes for the Peaks, too.

How would that sit with other folk?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    lawman wrote:
    Aye Nant is a bloody good ride, even if the Conti loop is a complete bog the rest of the centre is normally pretty good, its only the stuff out in the wild that shows the weather more than anything, so even if the longer loop is unrideable, theres plenty to do on other trails and its easy to do laps of shorted routes if need be :) Could always organise a ride out from aber town centre to nant and back, few un-marked trails on the way and its about 30 miles all in, including the summit trail at nant, plus Aber is a fooking awesome night out if anyone wanted to make a few days of it!

Would be great to do a weekend or something.

I'll chuck in a vote for some Peaks stuff, it's the easiest to get to for me and it's great riding!
  • lawman
    tudj wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Would be great to do a weekend or something.

I'll chuck in a vote for some Peaks stuff, it's the easiest to get to for me and it's great riding!

If anyone is up for one of the training rides to be at Nant I'll be happy to show people round the trails and town, especially the town, although Gaz might need to be restrained, forget knee deep in mud, you'll be knee deep in clunge chaps :P
  • tudj
    I'll remember to pack me' wellies!
  • lawman
    tudj wrote:
    I'll remember to pack me' wellies!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Gazlar wrote:
    Yeah i think get the distance in your legs and then gradually add in more and more terrain and climb. Was thinking FOD for the first run as its got a bit of tech in there, gentle climbs and 7 miles laps so a regular drop out/stop if it gets too much/ too dark etc. I know its a trek for some but like said ill move the training around so that there's something close for all
    Gazlar wrote:
    Some time February?

Yes to FOD, but I'm going to be in China for the back end of February and early March. Cannock is doable for me (as its very close to my Mom's. Nant Y Arian is a good ride although those dammed Red Kites scare the crap out of me when riding through the woods.
  • who the hell flies kites in the woods? Crazy Welsh!
  • Gazlar
    edited January 2013
    Clank wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

Yeah, I'm quite lucky. My immediate trails kinda suck, but Cannock is an hour, FOD is about 1.5, Marches is about 1.5, Peaks 1.5-2hrs depending on where, Deggy is two hours (apperently!).

But I am painfully aware of journey times and fuel costs. I'd like to get a couple (at least) of weekends in - doing a good ride both days, so hopefully it makes up for some of the travelling that some folk might find themselves having to do. I have a good plan for two rides from Brecon, and a few routes for the Peaks, too.

How would that sit with other folk?

Thats good with me, just not End of may early June as I'm moving house (I know I've bloody suggested it and coming up with excuses) I think at the very least one group weekender maybe End of June/Early July that we bust a gut to get to though and get as many of us as possible together? Ifyou cant make them as long as you are honest and do the training then thats fine

Right I've put through a route through Multimap, it diverges from the Sarn Helen somewhat by day 5, but it trims 50 miles off the ride total and takes in more of the Black Mountains instead of the brecon beacons .It means the route takes in The Marin trail, Penmachno, Nant yr Arian, Climach, Coed y Brenin, Cwm Rhyader, Glyncorrwyg and Afan en route and gets us down to 37 miles per day, which I think would be a more conservative estimate whist following nearly the same route, how does that sound to people.

Clank I've sent you that route via email and I have a 50 page dossier of 1:50k os maps printed out and all the waypont co ordinates if you want a copy.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lawman
    That sounds fucking awesome!! :D Put me on the definitely list!!!! :mrgreen:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690

that and the gap ride at brecon would be very good training rides for the coast to coast. very similar to the stuff you'll be riding.

it looks like i'm a no go for the whole trip, i'm gutted as i'd have loved to say i'd done it. but i'll hopefully be able to pick up with you for the last 2 days. and obviously the training rides cos they sound like a laugh :D
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Gazlar wrote:
    Clank wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Cannocks always a good place too, few laps of follow the dog and some unmarked stuff too. Could always try the long mynd too.

If some folk have to travel that far, may as well go a few extra miles and hit the Peaks - got some altitude training in!

Not that I've got owt against Cannock! (there Tuesday, as it happens) 8)

I'm defo in for Peaks rides, the routes I know up there are hard but very worth it, and more like what you'd actually be riding..
  • Gazlar
    Suddenly i'm available for the peaks ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It all sounds great to me :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Gazlar
    I am torn between routes....head says shorter one will be more accomplishable in 6 days without literally killing ourselves but heart says its a shame to cut the beacons going to overlay Clanks routing of the Sarn Helen properly and see what i come up with. I have now got a series of a4 1:50k maps printed and the route saved into ordnance surveys get a map which you can view without subscription.

Also spied a fairly flat extra bit to start from Rhyl ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tudj
    foxc_uk wrote:
    and more like what you'd actually be riding..

That's what I was thinking too. I also like the idea of one big weekend that we all try our best to get to, the rest of the time could be more local meet ups so folk aren't travelling too far.

Regarding the route choices, I don't mind. I'd love to take in the stuff like Penmachno and Brenin if possible but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I can prob join a training ride or two, ut my fitness is so low currently. and the bike would need so many new bits to make it suitable for that kinda long haul :(

But training rides to stalk FOXC and MissNotax im in for lol
  • Gazlar
    tudj wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:
    and more like what you'd actually be riding..

That's what I was thinking too. I also like the idea of one big weekend that we all try our best to get to, the rest of the time could be more local meet ups so folk aren't travelling too far.

Regarding the route choices, I don't mind. I'd love to take in the stuff like Penmachno and Brenin if possible but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Either route will have penmachno and brechfa in, seems to be the centre south either turns left and adds a 50 mile loop through brecon of goes straight over the black mountains. I suppose doing whichever route gives us the excuse to do the other next year [\overambitioustongueincheek]
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • tudj
    Or we could turn around and ride back the other route?

:lol:
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I can prob join a training ride or two, ut my fitness is so low currently. and the bike would need so many new bits to make it suitable for that kinda long haul :(

But training rides to stalk FOXC and MissNotax im in for lol
    You haven't got a good stalking in you
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    It's all about the pretending to be so unfit that i just have to follow :P
  • lawman
    I'd be up for a peaks ride :) Theres an awesome there and back trail from langsett to lady bower reservoir, takes in a lot of climbing, but some very long, stupidly fast downs. It may only be about 19/20 miles, but boy will you know about it afterwards! I haven't actually the susser up there yet, so this one would be stupidly high on my priorities list!! :D
  • Gazlar wrote:
    I am torn between routes....head says shorter one will be more accomplishable in 6 days without literally killing ourselves but heart says its a shame to cut the beacons going to overlay Clanks routing of the Sarn Helen properly and see what i come up with. I have now got a series of a4 1:50k maps printed and the route saved into ordnance surveys get a map which you can view without subscription.

I think riding 37 miles a day is much more accomplishable. The longer one, even though it's more of a challenge, may see a lot* of people fail, which for charity, could have an impact on monies raised (which is the whole point of this).

Riding the longer route will sound more impressive, but only if we manage it. I think as long as we get from the North Coast to the South Coast, charity givers will be impressed enough that they wouldn't notice if we took a 50 mile shortcut en route, and if we could have more fun doing it (by visiting the various trail centres), I think the shorter one is the best option. [/my tuppence worth]

*me
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • lawman
    Gazlar wrote:

I think riding 37 miles a day is much more accomplishable. The longer one, even though it's more of a challenge, may see a lot* of people fail, which for charity, could have an impact on monies raised (which is the whole point of this).

Riding the longer route will sound more impressive, but only if we manage it. I think as long as we get from the North Coast to the South Coast, charity givers will be impressed enough that they wouldn't notice if we took a 50 mile shortcut en route, and if we could have more fun doing it (by visiting the various trail centres), I think the shorter one is the best option. [/my tuppence worth]

*me

This! Shorter route, more trail centres, more fun perhaps, less distance, still impressive to get from coast to coast and it would probably be easier for the group as a whole, sounds the best way to go imo :)