Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thomas in 4th, good good. Visconti 5th - good to see him and Gilbert in the mix after both crashed yday.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It's a shame Slagter won whilst wearing this, frankly hideous jersey:
    pic342872689_670.jpg

Doesn't make for great photographs! :shock:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    is that Gilbert and Gerrans in 2 and 3?

(Sorry, was out late last night watching Les Mis, not seen any results)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:

Gilbert and Goss. G came in 4th.
  • Good for Blanco. Should give the riders a boost getting a win so early in a season that they have to treat like one massive shop window for a new main sponsor.

Was quite the mental last few kms with peeps firing off the front
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Geraint leading on GC by 5 seconds from Slagter. He also heads the KOM and sprint competitions.
  • Poor Timmy Duggan, out with collarbone. That man's seen the inside of enough hospitals to last a lifetime
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Is Slagter the guy that had a really good and promising stage in the Giro? on the stage through the narrow cobbled streets, I think Purito won that one.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Gilbert and Goss. G came in 4th.

Much obliged!

Think Friebos (or one of the other F's) mentioned on twitter that the lack of a sponsor may be a great K up the A for the "Rabbobank" riders, will help bring them together and such like...
    - @ddraver
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    ddraver wrote:

Gilbert does not use a power meter and trains by feel. Think he is in the minority in the peleton though.
  • Poor Timmy Duggan, out with collarbone. That man's seen the inside of enough hospitals to last a lifetime

I imagine that he treats a broken collarbone the same way I view cutting myself whilst shaving.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Gilbert does not use a power meter and trains by feel. Think he is in the minority in the peloton though.

Does nt win much any more either...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    MrTapir wrote:
    Is Slagter the guy that had a really good and promising stage in the Giro? on the stage through the narrow cobbled streets, I think Purito won that one.

Exactly.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    MrTapir wrote:

Exactly.

I was trying to remember where i'd seen him ride well before.

He ought to like Willunga hill then, Thomas better watch out.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ddraver wrote:

Gilbert does not use a power meter and trains by feel. Think he is in the minority in the peloton though.

Dunno about training but he certainly races using an SRM. (When Pro Cycling did an article on Gilbert a couple of years ago, it pointed how how he didn't use a powermeter, yet almost every photo showed him with a Powertap)

bettiniphoto_0123108_1_full_600.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    MrTapir wrote:

Exactly.

Is he young? One to watch this year then, I did think this at the time of that stage. I do hope they change their kit though, it looks like it was designed by a drunken Jorge Campos.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Exactly.

Is he young? One to watch this year then, I did think this at the time of that stage. I do hope they change their kit though, it looks like it was designed by a drunken Jorge Campos.

Do you mean the new team kit (which I agree is not great)? Or the TDU Young Rider Jersey, which is truly awful?
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    LangerDan wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Dunno about training but he certainly races using an SRM. (When Pro Cycling did an article on Gilbert a couple of years ago, it pointed how how he didn't use a powermeter, yet almost every photo showed him with a Powertap)

bettiniphoto_0123108_1_full_600.jpg

Philippe Gilbert: "No, then I would not get any result. But it is true that I train mostly by feeling. In the team (Lotto), we have Powertap but I do not use it. I do not even have a heart rate monitor, but I always know where I am. I never analyze my training with the computer or graphics. I have not got a clue about how many watts I produce in a climb. That is totally unimportant. What you have to check is how fast you are moving, and the difference you do in relation to other.

Gilbert has reiterated his belief in training by ‘feel’, even blamed poor form on coaches having him adhere to ‘numbers’:

Gilbert: After that first team training in December 2011 I was dead. I respect the process of my bosses, but I’ve learned to talk. I’m an old rider. I’m too old to change now. I’m not interested in numbers and values. A cyclist is not a Formula 1 driver who gives all numbers of the machine to engineers after testing and then there is a solution.”
  • ddraver
    It says everything you need to know about Trev that despite a picture of Gilbert riding with a powermeter, he still won't admit he's wrong....
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    edited January 2013
    Dan Martin trains on feel. Contador does also.

You have to be out of your mind to think that Gilbert will be hanging over his srm and racing according to his numbers - he is polar opposite of SKY number monkeys.

Who knows, some teams may be obligated to have it on their bike even if they dont use it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Contador also trains on EP...aaaaaaarrrgghghhhH!!!

MUST

NOT

RESIST!!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Yeah, Dan - you might be a smarty-pants finding a photo of Gilbert with a power meter, but check it out: he's not even looking at it!
    Not only that - it's not even on!!

Take that!...In your face, modern day coaching consensus.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    KEI59218_crash.jpg

Bo! Selecta!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    KEI59218_crash.jpg

Bo! Selecta!

Was gunna say - as if things couldn't get any worse for Timmy, they photograph him looking like that...
  • Dan Martin trains on feel. Contador does also.

You have to be out of your mind to think that Gilbert will be hanging over his srm and racing according to his numbers - he is polar opposite of SKY number monkeys.

Who knows, some teams may be obligated to have it on their bike even if they dont use it.

OMG. Does that mean that Dan Martin was PRETENDING in the Garmin 810 video??

Frenchie, have you exposed another scandal in the Garmin Sharp camp, fresh from the ex-doping admissions?
  • LeicesterLad

Frenchie, have you exposed another scandal in the Garmin Sharp camp, fresh from the ex-doping admissions?

Yeah but JV was holding him to ransom
  • frenchfighter
    edited January 2013

RR you are getting boring.

Read the first post:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12636081
    Contador is the Greatest