Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Eisel is hardly a lead out man, he's more of a sprinter's babysitter....

I don't remember EBH ever challenging the pure sprinters before
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dude come on. This is not a pure sprinters sprintfest. EBH has so many sprint wins let alone placings (which also count).

Furthermore, Goss vs EBH. Score is 39 to 102
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    I'm not sure Goss is much of a sprinter any more.....

The last 2 stages have sure looked like a sprinters sprintfest to me....
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I'm willing to put a sizeable bet on that barring accidents EBH will finish ahead of Greipel today. EBH is an all rounder who has a very good sprint, Greipel is an out-and-out sprinter. I also suspect that Sky's top rider will be higher on GC than Lotto's top rider at the end of the race.
  • frenchfighter
    Do you think Lotto give two sugars about placing a man on GC? They have an objective and that is stage wins which gives points and exposure, lots of it. They have and will achieve that. Simple.

Goss is a sprinter.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    EBH is really only an elite sprinter when he has good form. He'd need to be in mid-season form to have any chance against Greipel.

Looking forward to the corkscrew tonight. Gilbert, De Gendt, and Gerrans all looking feisty, G hoping to challenge. Could be good.
  • frenchfighter
    He doesn't need to win. A placing would be good tho. What with him and Sutton they should be able to cobble something together.

It's not so long ago that it was great fun watching Sky lead the sprint like crazy for Km 30to Km 1, then place no where.

I think the discussion stops here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Good god. There's been a crit and one sprint stage.
  • Do you think Lotto give two sugars about placing a man on GC? They have an objective and that is stage wins which gives points and exposure, lots of it. They have and will achieve that. Simple.

Goss is a sprinter.

The two teams are there with different objectives. For Lotto, its all about Greipel stages. For Sky, G's riding for GC, and Eddy has free rein for stages that might suit.

And yes, Goss is a sprinter. OGE will say that their main focus is GC for No Neck, but they really shouldnt have been MIA at the end there.

And Frenchie, of course there's no way that the discussion's going to stop here, you loon :)
  • Pross
    Do you think Lotto give two sugars about placing a man on GC? They have an objective and that is stage wins which gives points and exposure, lots of it. They have and will achieve that. Simple.

Exactly. Horses for courses which is why I suspect Sky won't be too bothered about not winning yesterday. They'd have kept Cav if they just wanted to win a few sprint stages.
  • frenchfighter
    You belittle the sprinters. Sprinter's salaries rocketed not so long ago due to a change in the points system. Points are crucial to teams and the wins add up. These stage wins are very important when you look at the bigger picture.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hey, Corkscrew Climb for tomorrow's racing entertainment

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... crew-climb
  • Pross
    You belittle the sprinters. Sprinter's salaries rocketed not so long ago due to a change in the points system. Points are crucial to teams and the wins add up. These stage wins are very important when you look at the bigger picture.

Why do you say I'm belittling sprinters? I'm not saying a sprint win is worth less (although ironically you regularly criticise sprint finishes). I like Greipel and I'm hoping he can build on last season (and that Kittel can become more tactically aware) as some real duels with Cav will be exciting at the end of a dull stage in the GTs. The whole OPQS v Lotto thing should also add spice. All I'm saying is Sky are looking at the GC rather than stages although I wouldn't be surprised if they get a stage as well. I don't think they've gone there hoping to win bunch sprints though, they don't even have their main sprinter there.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Great to see the new season kick off again BUT were did they drag up Yanto barker from ???? God talk about having to be prompted to speak or stop talking midway through a sentence. I googled his name and it says he's on Cyclevox's book as a "Commentator" :roll: .
  • Why is Yanto Barker commentating on a WT race??? Cyclevox is the Antony McCrossan lot (another one who doesnt couldnt call a race if it ran up and slapped in the face)

The Sky feed had Robbie McEwan for a while - he should have kicked out Bert and Ernie and flown solo for the rest of the commentary
  • ddraver

Someone's been reading the Cycling Anthology.... :lol:

Personally I prefer wins where someone with Pure Class and Panache and a massive syringe of EPO - one might also call them...erm...a True Champion - comes out on top. Not someone that hides in the bunch all day and then only shows his face for the last 10 seconds

What do you reckon Frenchie?
    - @ddraver
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    It's not so long ago that it was great fun watching Sky lead the sprint like crazy for Km 30 to Km 1, then place no where.
    I used to love that back in the good old days of cycling (!) when you could slag Sky off for being rubbish, before they suddenly turned out to be quite good.

If you were really lucky, they'd take it on until 500m to go and then not finish in the top 10. Remembering that, you can see why they went for Cavendish - there was no guarantee that anyone would do anything in GC and he at least solved that problem.
  • ddraver
    The Sky feed had Robbie McEwen for a while - he should have kicked out Bert and Ernie and flown solo for the rest of the commentary

I reckon McEwen is the closes thing road cycling would ever get to Rob Warner!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    The Sky feed had Robbie McEwen for a while - he should have kicked out Bert and Ernie and flown solo for the rest of the commentary

I reckon McEwen is the closes thing road cycling would ever get to Rob Warner!

Ha! he can dream...tho McEwan could dish out the sweariness in Flemish. Extra points for that, surely
  • Turfle wrote:
    Good god. There's been a crit and one sprint stage.

World Tour innit. Important to teams
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ddraver wrote:

Someone's been reading the Cycling Anthology.... :lol:

Personally I prefer wins where someone with Pure Class and Panache and a massive syringe of EPO - one might also call them...erm...a True Champion - comes out on top. Not someone that hides in the bunch all day and then only shows his face for the last 10 seconds

What do you reckon Frenchie?

its even better if they're buzzing of their tits on amphetamines .. just like the 'good old days' !
  • Turfle
    Awesome.
  • Great sprint by G! Caught them all out completely!
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Yeah, Sky are going to have a torrid season.
    Oh wait, G's won a stage now...
  • Turfle
    Great stuff from G. Looked strong on the climb, and explosive at the finish. Very promising!

Shame we didn't see more of the happenings behind on the climb. Sounds like there was a 15 or so man crash at some point, maybe with Gilbert in it.
  • Impressive stuff from Thomas, ill call it now - TDF winner within 5 years. :shock: :lol:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    That was a very classy win from Thomas, hopefully a sign of things to come this season.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Dead happy for G, great guy - loves his 'fans' and deserves it after having to change his body so quickly after track.
    I'll call it now - TDF winner within 5 years. :shock: :lol:

This made me laugh for some reason.

SO PLEASED PRO SEASON IS BACK... BRING ON DAYTIME EUROSPORT VIEWING AT WORK.
    :lol::lol::D:D:):):):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:):):)
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    I just couldn't stay awake. Has anyone found a highlights video link yet please?