Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Can I be first to call 'curse of the rainbow jersey' please?

Frenchie is unusually quiet, not sure if it is because Sky won a stage or because people have been pointing out his usual response to sprint wins against his apparent new found love and respect for the discipline.
  • Great start to the day, thanks for that link

G bossed it big stylie

*wanders over to look up his odds for Flanders*
  • Pross wrote:

Frenchie is unusually quiet, not sure if it is because Sky won a stage or because people have been pointing out his usual response to sprint wins against his apparent new found love and respect for the discipline.

First Lombardia and now this... :wink:
  • Pross
    That was an impressive win by Geraint, very pleased for him. Looks like his form is promising for the spring. Is that his first professional 'road' win other than the nationals?
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

B***s, forgot about that - it was a long time ago and pre Oprah. OK, can I be the first to say it this year?
  • Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

B***s, forgot about that - it was a long time ago and pre Oprah. OK, can I be the first to say it this year?

Are we now measuring cycling years as pre-Oprah and post-Oprah? Or pre-op and post-op for short? :)
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Are we now measuring cycling years as pre-Oprah and post-Oprah? Or pre-op and post-op for short? :)

No, it's just a measure of my memory span. I can only go back to the last big event. :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Bestbetting have G at 66/1 for Flanders, boys

Just saying...

Highlights:
    http://www.teamsky.com/video/0,27287,,00.html
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Well done Thomas (funny name). Nice win to have on his palmares.

I know the field is weak but I would have liked to have seen some interesting names competing. Did the crash take everyone but a few people out of contention?

Did they crash going up hill?

I thought this hill was supposed to be super tough and have 20% parts...

Andy Schleck?

Do these guys not have any support vehicles? I read Gilbert was pushed to the line with a broken rear derailleur.

tdu_2013_2c.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    181158_467456686652407_2108667944_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I think descending and then getting pushed a couple of KM would lose less time than waiting for the team car on a winding, narrow descent to swap bikes. Especially for a guy looking to win teh GC on a week long stage race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Well done Thomas (funny name). Nice win to have on his palmares.

I know the field is weak but I would have liked to have seen some interesting names competing.

You didn't seem to have a problem with the strength of the field after Stage 1 :?
  • frenchfighter
    A sprint is different to a steep climb - or do you want to disagree with me on that?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tdu_2013_2a.jpg?t=1358935720
    Contador is the Greatest
  • A sprint is different to a steep climb - or do you want to disagree with me on that?

Interesting post of yours on the first page of the thread: 'Yeah some good names'

Give over Frenchie, you're too transparent on this one :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    There are some good names but I would consider it a weak field for climbers - you disagree? I think you need to look at the Tour de San Luis if you disagree.

Slagter was in attendance and active.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gerrova it

G won in fine style today

'nuff said

:):):)
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584

I thought this hill was supposed to be super tough and have 20% parts...

Andy Schleck?

Do these guys not have any support vehicles? I read Gilbert was pushed to the line with a broken rear derailleur.

IIRC The start of the climb proper has 2 short sections of 20% with several of the inside corners hitting close to 20% also. Majority of the climb is 8-10% so I'm very surprised PIp wasn't at or near the front thus avoiding crash.

Top of the climb at junction has a tight right hander going downhill. It was just after this turn that crash happened. Very easy to freewheel all but last km at speeds in excess of 50kph. G and the front group would have been hitting 90kph - 100kph plus easily.
  • There are some good names but I would consider it a weak field for climbers - you disagree? I think you need to look at the Tour de San Luis if you disagree.

Aye, but it looks like a weak climb for climbers too.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It's hardly a climbers race though is it Frenchie? It's a race for guys like Gilbert and Gerrans, both of whom crashed I believe.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    G won in fine style today

Yeah, check the photo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    A sprint is different to a steep climb - or do you want to disagree with me on that?

I'm not disagreeing but you wanted respect for the winner of a flat stage, pointing out the value of the points to a team, but seem reluctant to afford that same respect to a stage winner on a team you don't like. He still had to beat the same people. If you look at the two stage results so far you will also see that there are several riders who made the top 10 on both days so given the differences they should be applauded. Considering your past comments on 'wheel sucking' sprinters I just find it odd that you are now making such a big deal out of a couple of bunch sprint wins.
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for info Alan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    but seem reluctant to afford that same respect to a stage winner on a team you don't like.

Check the photo.

I also said well done to him.

So your point above is wrong.

Cheers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    It's hardly a climbers race though is it Frenchie? It's a race for guys like Gilbert and Gerrans, both of whom crashed I believe.
    There are some good names but I would consider it a weak field for climbers - you disagree? I think you need to look at the Tour de San Luis if you disagree.

Have a look at yesterday's top 10. I think you might be over-estimating the 'climb'. It's lumpy by TdU standards but I don't think it is exactly Schleck / Contador or even JRod / Valverde territory.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We all remember Cyclismas Day don't we lads? You think Frenchie is going to admit defeat on this?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    but seem reluctant to afford that same respect to a stage winner on a team you don't like.

Check the photo.

I also said well done to him.

So your point above is wrong.

Cheers.

Fair enough, you just seemed to be implying it was a lesser stage win in some way. I thought it was a class win to be fair, the pursuiting strength seemed to allow him to go early enough to bridge and then maintain the effort.
  • ddraver wrote:
    We all remember Cyclismas Day don't we lads? You think Frenchie is going to admit defeat on this?

I don't. Link me.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Errm, it was somewhere in the massive Contador thread, I love you goat, but not that much!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver