Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• ddraver wrote:
    Are we really arguing about this..?

Some people use them, some don't. Is it really that interesting?

Maybe it's not giving a monkeys about rubbish like this that is why I find TT's/TTT's so flipping dull. It's almost as dull as what a kit or a bike looks like...

Frenchie - your last line shows your lack of class...

I think when somebody insists despite overwhelming evidence that they are correct becuase they say they are (ner ner can't say back)... It's worth an argument. I can't resist anyway.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Ahhhh... Frenchie's in a huff. It's great that the new season has finally begun.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • time for one of my intermittent 'I love a TT, me'

(not TTTs though, unless they go horribly wrong like BMC at the Giro last year doing some inadvertent off-roading - that was highly entertaining)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    prawny wrote:
    Please. Discussion is finished my end, once again in my favour.

You should be a lawyer, I can't believe none of them have thought of that tactic :lol:

Worked for Lance :roll: :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Maybe it's not giving a monkeys about rubbish like this that is why I find TT's/TTT's so flipping dull. It's almost as dull as what a kit or a bike looks like...

I think when somebody insists despite overwhelming evidence that they are correct becuase they say they are (ner ner can't say back)... It's worth an argument. I can't resist anyway.
    \

Yeah sorry, you all got in before me....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ddraver wrote:
    That's Triple H isnt it?

(little wrestling joke for y'all there)

Spat cheese and onion sandwich all over my desk when I read that. :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I train on feel. Unfortunately I always feel I am putting in much more effort than I am and as a result I'm s**t!
  • LeicesterLad
    Pross wrote:
    I train on feel. Unfortunately I always feel I am putting in much more effort than I am and as a result I'm s**t!

My method also. Though when I say training, I mean sitting on the sofa.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pross wrote:

My method also. Though when I say training, I mean sitting on the sofa.

I consider watching cycling on TV to be a form of training, tactics are everything!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:

You beat the same drum, the same comments for the whole time you've posted in the last few years. I refer you to this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12897652&p=18064004&hilit=dopamine#p18064004
    you are likely one of the people in here who have that lack of ability to process contrary information and analyse impartially. And note there is a difference between taking all data in and maintaining the same jist of opinion because nothing in that data is sufficient to change it, and being stubborn.

If I stop discussing a point it is because I have had my say and see no reason to prolong the back and forth. If others want to continue discussing that is perfectly fine. I am responsible for my own posts.

As in this case you refer to overwhelming evidence. You are wrong on that. For some reason people think their opinion about a rider counts more than what the rider has to say about themselves. As in this case, I prefer to go with what the rider says...tough for you to understand maybe but I'm not sure I can help you there.

How about making a post that other people will take enjoyment, information or interest from. I think I have quite a large bag of those posts.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    On the cobbles, sure, but Henao and Uran are clearly ahead of G in the Ardennes pecking order.
  • LeicesterLad
    Turfle wrote:
    On the cobbles, sure, but Henao and Uran are clearly ahead of G in the Ardennes pecking order.

I'd rather win on the cobbles though :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Turfle wrote:

Meh dunno - massive amount of bias from me but I'm not convinced by either of them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Ssssh, guys! Can you take your pertinent chat elsewhere... we're waiting on a few words from DD, DG etc (once they've reconnected their jaws to their faces)...
  • You beat the same drum, the same comments for the whole time you've posted in the last few years. I refer you to this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12897652&p=18064004&hilit=dopamine#p18064004
    you are likely one of the people in here who have that lack of ability to process contrary information and analyse impartially. And note there is a difference between taking all data in and maintaining the same jist of opinion because nothing in that data is sufficient to change it, and being stubborn.

If I stop discussing a point it is because I have had my say and see no reason to prolong the back and forth. If others want to continue discussing that is perfectly fine. I am responsible for my own posts.

As in this case you refer to overwhelming evidence. You are wrong on that. For some reason people think their opinion about a rider counts more than what the rider has to say about themselves. As in this case, I prefer to go with what the rider says...tough for you to understand maybe but I'm not sure I can help you there.

How about making a post that other people will take enjoyment, information or interest from. I think I have quite a large bag of those posts.

I'll let others decide if my posts are enjoyable, informative or interesting, as I see it, they're just my opinion.

As to the bit in bold, I'll also let others decide if personal abuse was warranted in a discussion in which I asked you a simple question and pointed to evidence to back up my point, also on how that reflects on you.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Meh dunno - massive amount of bias from me but I'm not convinced by either of them...
    Uran can point to lots of good one day results to back up his claims.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • aaaaaand...the Blessed JTL for the Ardennes

G for cobble-age
  • Turfle
    Uran is a proper, top quality one-day rider. Couple of Lombadia podiums, 5th at LBL, wins in races like Emilia. Henao got 5th at Lombardia in his very first year in Europe, and that's a tough thing to do.

I'd actually be surprised if G is even on the start line for many on the hilly classics this year.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    RichN95 wrote:
    I've never really understood the idea that not using modern training aids is in some way purer and morally superior. I just see it as backward.

If you were on an airplane and the captain said that he didn't believe in modern gadgets like altimeters and ne preferred to land the plane 'on feel', I doubt many would praise his romantic ideals.

I may just try this next time I go to work :lol:
  • Turfle
    aaaaaand...the Blessed JTL for the Ardennes

G for cobble-age

And Kennaugh!
  • LeicesterLad
    Turfle wrote:

G for cobble-age

And Kennaugh!

Kennaugh still an unknown entity. Excited to see what he's got though!
  • Turfle wrote:

G for cobble-age

And Kennaugh!

Kennaugh still an unknown entity. Excited to see what he's got though!

Yep, got to agree with both sentiments.
  • ocdupalais
    As the CN article about G points out (along with a podium at the Giro), it's the Classics that are the glaring hole in the Sky palmares: Flecha should've been their banker there, but didn't deliver.

Good as it was, that Global Cycling Network interview with JTL actually left me a bit less expectant about his chances in the Spring after he said about not training quite as much as he'd have liked. That could be classic cyclist guff about not having done much lately - but as far as I'm concerned (as a massive fan) it's probably no bad thing to have anticipation tempered at this point...
  • LeicesterLad
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    As the CN article about G points out (along with a podium at the Giro), it's the Classics that are the glaring hole in the Sky palmares: Flecha should've been their banker there, but didn't deliver.

Good as it was, that Global Cycling Network interview with JTL actually left me a bit less expectant about his chances in the Spring after he said about not training quite as much as he'd have liked. That could be classic cyclist guff about not having done much lately - but as far as I'm concerned (as a massive fan) it's probably no bad thing to have anticipation tempered at this point...

Lets face it, achieving a podium spot in any WorldTour race would be enough to satisfy my expectations, and one hell of an achievement, considering where he's come from.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Lets face it, achieving a podium spot in any WorldTour race would be enough to satisfy my expectations, and one hell of an achievement, considering where he's come from.

Apparently Gilbert has recently started training using a power meter because he is so scared of JTL.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ocdupalais
    FFS, LL!! I'm trying to temper my expectations, dammit! Jeez... Then there's you talking about podiums...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    FFS, LL!! I'm trying to temper my expectations, dammit! Jeez... Then there's you talking about podiums...

But that is LL tempering his expectations. In reality he'll be disappointed with anything other than JTL going solo from the gun and winning by 10 minutes.
  • Pross wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

But that is LL tempering his expectations. In reality he'll be disappointed with anything other than JTL going solo from the gun and winning by 10 minutes.

Having stopped off for a Devon cream tea halfway through
  • LeicesterLad
    Pross wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Having stopped off for a Devon cream tea halfway through

I'm going to have that wet dream later...