Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else get a bit fed up with the lead out man doing a two handed victory salute in the middle of a bunch that's still sprinting flat out? When did that trend start? It's been annoying me for a few seasons now since I got back into the sport.

+1

Didnt Boonen do it when Pozzato won MSR? Thats the first time I saw it, annoying.
    Mañana
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's refreshing when the racing restarts and The Forum turns its attention to serious matters, leaving the off-season trivia behind. :P I'm OK with the no-hands Hosannas. It's the pious one-kneed circular prayer groups I can't stand. (We may not have seen this in cycling, yet. But imagine the carnage if Sagan is 'born again'. :shock:)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross wrote:
    Anyone else get a bit fed up with the lead out man doing a two handed victory salute in the middle of a bunch that's still sprinting flat out? When did that trend start? It's been annoying me for a few seasons now since I got back into the sport.

Bloody hell you are a miserable sod :)

The bunch had fragmented before the last turn - Henderson looks round with 100 metres to go - realises he will get third and there is like 200 metres back to the bunch - so where do you get the middle of the bunch from?

These boys have been doing this a long time and know what's what!
  • Calm down, dear, its only a forum :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Not me. I think it's a fairly natural reaction. If a footballer scores a goal or rugby player a try then his teammates will typically celebrate in such a manner, particularly those nearby. And so will the crowd.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Can't see it's a problem myself. Doesn't annoy me, but just to clarify, is something like this OK?

bettiniphoto_0017173_1_full_600.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Moving on from Arm-gate, anyone fancy a couple of pro interviews from today?

First up, Stannard (hope he doesnt hear that Frenchie called him fat)
    http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/01/t ... -stannard/

Second, Peter Sagan's brother Juraj (more curiosity value than anything)
    http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/01/t ... her-juraj/

Warning: both videos are courtesy of Shoddy Dave, so we aint talking professional here, and expect camera wobbles to make you nauseous etc
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Pross wrote:

Bloody hell you are a miserable sod :)

The bunch had fragmented before the last turn - Henderson looks round with 100 metres to go - realises he will get third and there is like 200 metres back to the bunch - so where do you get the middle of the bunch from?

These boys have been doing this a long time and know what's what!

The bunch may have been fragmented in this instance but it often happens in a more tightly compacted bunch. This race was just a s****y curtain raiser for what is itself a stage race at the bottom of the chipper scale so even the winner celebrating is pushing it a bit let alone the lead out man in 3rd place! :lol:
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Thanks Frenchie.

I mean, just where do you start with those lids....

They make the Bob the Builder ones from last year's Tour look positively stylish

they remind me of Flight of the Navigator

loved that film as a kid
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not me. I think it's a fairly natural reaction. If a footballer scores a goal or rugby player a try then his teammates will typically celebrate in such a manner, particularly those nearby. And so will the crowd.

Yeah, but they aren't in amongst dozens of people trying to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. The riders can do the hugging and kissing b*****s in the finish area (and already do). Besides, I prefer the old fashioned, nonchalant handshake when someone scores in football or rugby too. As pointed out above, I'm a miserable sod :wink:
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Gilbert rocking the WC colours 8)

080-PIC341945934.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Flasher wrote:
    Gilbert rocking the WC colours 8)

...but upstaged by a BMC geezer's laces in the background.

What's the point of wearing grey and black if you're going to wear those. There were words at breakfast when they saw those shot's, I'll bet...
  • Macaloon
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ...but upstaged by a BMC geezer's laces in the background.

What's the point of wearing grey and black if you're going to wear those. There were words at breakfast when they saw those shot's, I'll bet...

Come, come. The image is obviously cropped to the disadvantage of the coordinated ensemble: Amber man-bag, and jaunty carrot beret.
  • I believe it's what's called in the fashion world, an 'accent' colour
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *paging FrenchFighter to the thread. FrenchFighter to the thread urgently.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Some rider interviews on this channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zoGMLNA5c1c#!

Stannard thinks the Merida-Lampre kit is f*&^ing awful :lol:
  • Macaloon

Yeah cos we need the panoramic hi-def (filters off) shot to settle this. Could have used expert help with the recent handbags controversy.
  • ocdupalais
    Macaloon wrote:

Yeah cos we need the panoramic hi-def (filters off) shot to settle this. Could have used expert help with the recent handbags controversy.

Laces and handbags count as "Accessories", which, I think you'll find, is Greased "Mr Humphries" Scotsman's department.

...Are you free?

article-1214525-067E2035000005DC-894_468x392.jpg
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    ...Are you free?

Of course!
  • Not sure I go that quite right, should have been "I'm free!"
  • please, no references to Mrs Slocombe's pussy

doh!
  • ocdupalais
    Not sure I go that quite right, should have been "I'm free!"

...That's better.

We've got an incident in aisle 5 with some (Maca) loon questioning your authority and another chancer spouting off like he's a fashion expert... "accent" colour, indeed...

If you don't think you can handle it, we can bring French "Captain Peacock" Fighter down to the floor?

Peacock.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Gilbert looking a little "Cav-esque" in his chunkiness there or is it just a bad angle?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited January 2013
    Gilbert looking a little "Cav-esque" in his chunkiness there or is it just a bad angle?
    You know the season has officially started when someone calls the World Champion fat.

It happens every year. (White + hoops isn't a slimming look)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Back to Stannard's video interview...

I've concluded that GB tops the UCI Points Rankings for Sweariness

Team Sweary:
    Wiggo is leader
    Cav is sprinter extraordinaire
    Millar is lead out and TTT monster
    Stannard is beast
  • ocdupalais
    Back to Stannard's video interview...

Team Sweary:
    Wiggo is leader
    Stannard is beast

Maybe Stannard's been told to up his game now Cav's gone...?
    At the other end of the scale, can you think of anyone LESS likely to swear than Nibali?

That aside, I'm cheered to hear G is on song.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Back to Stannard's video interview...

Team Sweary:
    Wiggo is leader
    Stannard is beast

Maybe Stannard's been told to up his game now Cav's gone...?
    At the other end of the scale, can you think of anyone LESS likely to swear than Nibali?

That aside, I'm cheered to hear G is on song.

Too fecking right (that's not good enough to make soigneur on Team Sweary)
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    If you don't think you can handle it, we can bring French "Captain Peacock" Fighter down to the floor?

Well, I am getting a bit flustered. Who wanted the beret again?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Tyler Farrar?
  • Pross
    Pozzovivo, he looks like just saying the word 'bum' would send him into howls of laughter in a primary school sort of way.