Tour Down Under *spoiler*

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I can't understand why so many have preferred Argentina over Australia.

I'm backing Velits to have a good race.

You know a lot of the riders hate the TdU? A few of the french teams used to consider it punishment being sent there.

A lot of them like it too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I can't understand why so many have preferred Argentina over Australia.

I'm backing Velits to have a good race.

You know a lot of the riders hate the TdU? A few of the french teams used to consider it punishment being sent there.

A lot of them like it too.

Yeah - that's clear. Just never really understood why.
  • I'm not afraid to admit that i'm looking forward to it a little bit, be nice to talk about some cycling rather than just doping and kit.

Are they finishing a stage on top of Willunga hill again this year, at least that stopped it become a simple sprint fest.

Also surprised they haven't (at least in the past) put in a little prologue TT.
    My understanding is that the world tour teams did not want a TT as it would require them to ship an extra bike all the way to Australia. I would love a TT before the race and think maybe an uphill TT where an aero position is not as important might solve the issue
  • Just watched the warm-up race streamed live on the interwebz. Might have only been SSR but IT WAS BLOODY GOOD TO WATCH RACING AGAIN

Greipel won, in case anyone's interested. Lotto have got their train running, right from the off. BUT they are wearing the most ridiculous silver helmets, truly bizarre

ADD:

video of last few kms
    http://www.steephill.tv/tour-down-under/
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    RichN95 wrote:
    The bike racing hasn't stopped! You guys need to get into cross!
    The cycling equivalent of It's a Knockout

I did a lol! Just seen highlights of the crit. Sherwen and Liggett commentating - have they no shame? Is the TDU really on Sky? Where? When?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I did a lol! Just seen highlights of the crit. Sherwen and Liggett commentating - have they no shame? Is the TDU really on Sky? Where? When?

Sky Sports 4
  • ratsbeyfus wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The bike racing hasn't stopped! You guys need to get into cross!
    The cycling equivalent of It's a Knockout

They have no shame - they're just going to try to brazen it all out. Aaaaaand we're also back to the usual Bert and Ernie b%llocks..Sherwan: 'Andre Greipel's has 100 wins over the last 2 years'. WTF???

The schedule for Sky showing TDU is on the Team Sky site
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 46,00.html
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Thank you GS and RR... bad case of 'man looking' on my part.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    What this thread needs is some rider-cuddling joey or rider-and-koala pics

Regrettably I'm such a luddite that I still havent mastered plastering pics here
    :(

ask and you shall receive:

3ae8eaa662ff11e2a95722000a9f09e9_7.jpg
  • Ha! Brilliant!

That's just a bite-sized barbie snack for Stannard.

Doing the obligatory animial cuddling/stroking pics is not without its danger for the riders. Arnaud Demare put out pics on his Twatter feed of the results of being bitten by the Victor Meldrew of the animal kingdom, a koala.

In keeping with the times, the koala looks, frankly, downright unrepentent.

:)
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Those helmets look ridiculous..
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Stannard, legend in the making.

Really hope he has a good TdU as part of his Spring classics build up. I imagine there will be a couple of wallabies to snack on in his musette.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Lightning wrote:

True, but with shiny silver helmets and that horrible kit they do stand out!

Argos did what Sky used to do in the beginning - dominate kilometers 4-2 then get smashed in the final two.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Lightning wrote:

True, but with shiny silver helmets and that horrible kit they do stand out!

Argos did what Sky used to do in the beginning - dominate kilometers 4-2 then get smashed in the final two.

Yep. Argos got their a%ses handed to them by Lotto
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    Maybe change the title of this thread to read *Spoilers* ?
    I don't think a separate thread is needed for each stage as very little happens.

jerseys.jpg

I see Greipel is in form in Aus land as usual. Shame about the monstrosity on his head.

Gilbert looking super classy in all his gear. Heavyweight year for photos of him.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/santos-tour-down-under-2013/peoples-choice-classic/photos/249141
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Frenchie, post a pic that shows the Lotto lid in all its awfulness so that everyone can see it and have a good laugh? pls?
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mgxf0rFowd1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mgxfuxCPzJ1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Thanks Frenchie.

I mean, just where do you start with those lids....

They make the Bob the Builder ones from last year's Tour look positively stylish
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Looks like they got stolen off the set of an 80's sci-fi movie.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    DHTT wrote:
    Link for todays race final kilometres:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 5oyGeCc1dM

F**k it's good to watch some bike racing again isnt it?!

Hell of a job by LB! OPQS are going to have to be on form this year!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    DHTT wrote:
    Link for todays race final kilometres:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 5oyGeCc1dM

F**k it's good to watch some bike racing again isnt it?!

Hell of a job by LB! OPQS are going to have to be on form this year!

Indeed, and Argos might struggle with the step up against Lotto and OPQS - at least when its flat, rather than Degenkolb-style stages (I'm going to assume that OPQS and Cav work out OK).

I predict another season of runner-up spots for OGE.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hansen was the difference in that sprint.

Outstanding turn.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    793698-an-tour-slide.jpg

That looks very much like Sutton in 5th place ahead of EBH - any reason why he's not credited as such?
  • frenchfighter
    Only three people contesting the sprint = fail
    Looks like Sky tried to muscle in, lost the wheels and took everyone behind them out of the running.

Go go Gorilla.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Great to watch some racing, especially a bright sunny one just before the start of the classics. What was the temperature there today?

Bloody nora, Lotto's lids and shades...
  • Only three people contesting the sprint = fail
    Looks like Sky tried to muscle in, lost the wheels and took everyone behind them out of the running.

Go go Gorilla.

Not sure about that. Their designated sprinter, CJ, was in that front group of 6 or so. They were messy though. All the teams but Lotto were a bit dozy. Looked to me like a typical first race back after the offy - messy, disorganised, losing wheels easily - for all the teams except Lotto.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    Anyone else get a bit fed up with the lead out man doing a two handed victory salute in the middle of a bunch that's still sprinting flat out? When did that trend start? It's been annoying me for a few seasons now since I got back into the sport.
  • Pross wrote:
    Anyone else get a bit fed up with the lead out man doing a two handed victory salute in the middle of a bunch that's still sprinting flat out? When did that trend start? It's been annoying me for a few seasons now since I got back into the sport.

One that always stands out from last few years is Renshaw when he and Cav were so far ahead on the Champs...

But yeah, Henderson does it every single time he's led out Greipel for a win and its just getting tired