Bikeradar Spring Fling 2013 010413

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It took me ages to get the damn route onto the Bryton so I'll have to wing it with any changes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    smidsy wrote:
    It took me ages to get the damn route onto the Bryton so I'll have to wing it with any changes.

Heh, we are all sticking together, it only needs one of us with the route! It's not a big change, just that there's a long stretch of main road. I ride it all the time with 1 or 2 others but with a few I'd rather avoid it.

Also, Swiss Hill. :o
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I would've come out to this but I'm watching United on the telly. There, thats my excuse. :0)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I'd be up for Swiss Hill as

a) it's Flanders weekend
    b) meant to do it on last years Polocini Winter Sprinter but the weather was so bad it was recommended not too
  • Not sure about Swiss Hill, there was still a bit of ice around Saturday and yesterday. Also, I have got f-all chance of getting up it!
  • napoleond
    It's an option... Some can do it if they want, meet up at the same location after it... Don't think I'd make it up today.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks for orinising it Alex. I joined in the random route frivolity after getting droped at the end - that really wasn't the direct route back!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Big thanks to Alex (Nap) for taking the reins on this yet again. Much nicer to have a flat route so as to keep the group together and make it easier to chat to folks.

Had to pop off at the end to get home for Easter dinner. Hope everyone had a good time... and see you next year!

Colin
  • Daverok
    Daverok Posts: 3
    Thanks Alex, really enjoyed the ride today. Pity you couldn't have arranged to have the icy wind turned off.
  • napoleond
    Good turnout considering the date and the weather!
    The forecast was somewhat optimistic, that wind killed me!
    It was a good ride to try and kick start my legs again.

Really appreciate those travelling to join in on the ride, we even had Bobbinogs from Cheltenham on his rather fabulous looking ALAN.

96EB2EFA-9508-4C8D-A035-D17BB0B7BCF7-884-00000094A57121B8_zpsc812c68d.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks Alex, great day out on the bike. Cheers to everody else who turned up, you made it a top day. Special thanks for the flat route and not dropping me, although it was touch and go at one point, as to whether or not I was going to get back on or not.
  • napoleond
    Special award to those who did Swiss Hill btw!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • dave8178
    dave8178 Posts: 169
    Many thanks Alex for sorting today. Was a great ride. Hopefully see you all next year.

Dave.
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Thanks Alex - and a thank you to Smidsy for the lift there and back (too frigging cold to consider riding home).

Bloody freezing but enjoyed it - just!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Thanks Alex for organising it, bloody freezing, great to meet the lads.

Some of you have borrowed Cancellera's Motor though. :roll: :mrgreen:
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Yeh, it was a great day - again. Thanks Alex et al. That wind on the way back was a killer :!:
  • smidsy
    Enjoyed that, but the road surfaces are truly dreadful. Council Tax rebates required for all you Cheshire lot. :-)

Got P6 on the Swiss Hill climb on Strava somehow too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Velonutter wrote:

I thought that you were the one with the electronic assistance!

Enjoyed the 2 min Campag EPS experience on the C59 - could turn out to be an expensive pootle.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Great ride today, thanks NapD.

My star of the day was that young lady serving at the cafe who managed to cope admirably with us lot filling the cafe looking for refreshment and warmth. Top stuff.

Here's to next year, with yet another chance to get the excuses in :wink:
  • Velonutter
    nochekmate wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

I thought that you were the one with the electronic assistance!

Enjoyed the 2 min Campag EPS experience on the C59 - could turn out to be an expensive pootle.

PMSL Great to meet you as well mate, blimey you can ride though, so I need all the assistance I can get to hang on!
  • Velonutter
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    ......My star of the day was that young lady serving at the cafe who managed to cope admirably with us lot filling the cafe looking for refreshment and warmth. Top stuff.

Here's to next year, with yet another chance to get the excuses in :wink:

Only cos she fancied you :mrgreen::lol:
  • smidsy
    Oh and another thing...It is going to take a whole load of baby wipes to get the Basso clean :-(
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • thetrotter
    thetrotter Posts: 258
    Thoroughly enjoyed today. Good to put faces to (at least some) names and to catch up with Alex and Colin. Got a bad case of bike envy though! People do indeed come from all over the country to admire our roads in Cheshire - believe me, we stayed on the better ones today. Could have done without the wind on the way back and began to regret not having the shelter of the peloton but at least I got back for the Tour of the Basque Country. Look forward to next year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    I love Swiss Hill, it was one of my favourites when I lived in Manchester... I also like the one out of Bollington and the very unknown cobbled one from Kettleshulme to Whaley Bridge... the latter is a proper Koppenberg!
    That said, I am in Italy right now and yesterday I discovered a 1:3 climb on rocks... makes the Koppenberg look like a gentle incline perfectly paved... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Great ride yesterday guys, good bit of banter along the way to keep us going in the less than mild conditions!
    Thanks to Alex and Colin for the organisation of the ride.

http://app.strava.com/activities/46791678 (Must try harder up Swiss Hill though :D )

Gordon
  • smidsy
    Srava is seriously all over the place. You clock up well over 2000ft of climbing where as mine only gives 1678ft?

Also yours records Swiss Hill but mine lists Swiss Hilll Full (although you actually cycled the full route it does not credit you with it).

So basically it seems it is a work of complete fiction.

Basso all nice and shiny again now though :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Got the Swiss hill (100 Climbs 71 Swiss Hill) as a hidden segment! What did you record yours on? Edge 800 for me!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Gutted to have missed this again, don't know why I had kids, they only take all my bike money and ruin the only only day out on the bike I'd got planned for this year. Next year I'll be there, they can't get the pox again!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    biker5chef wrote:
    Got the Swiss hill (100 Climbs 71 Swiss Hill) as a hidden segment! What did you record yours on? Edge 800 for me!

...I think this explains it. Strava uses GPS elevation except where a decent Garmin is used in which case it defers to that. Smidsy has a Bryton, like mine, so the elevation will be a bit of a guesstimate. My ride clocked 514m of elevation, fwiw. I see 2 Swiss Hills, one slightly longer than the other and I appear on both. No KOM though :)