Bikeradar Spring Fling 2013 010413

Comments

• I'll be up foir this, safe in the knowlege I'll get dropped by the end of it - distance and climb aren't impossible, but yesterdays 4300 ft route was 11.3 mph, not 13 odd!
    Still, I have a few weeks left to train...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I may well make this if it is 1st April.

Any updates as to numbers etc?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    smidsy wrote:
    I may well make this if it is 1st April.

Any updates as to numbers etc?

Yep 1st April.
    No idea on numbers until we set off!
    This is the worst winter I've had for riding in years. Every other year I've done loads on the turbo but this year I just cba! As a result there may be a change in the route. Which usually happens anyway!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    Ok no probs.

Whatever the route someone has to be at the back so it may as well be me.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I sold my turbo and haven't been out much either, is it possible for us all to be at the back? It'll just be pokerface buggering off up the road.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • napoleond
    The best think about the Spring Fling threads each year are the excuses we all get in beforehand :D
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    very concerned that I'll be the old slow bloke at the back, but it does sound like fun, so count me in
  • prawny
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The best think about the Spring Fling threads each year are the excuses we all get in beforehand :D

I'm currently suffering with consumption* so I'm going to be at the back.

*of too much cake
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • smidsy
    prawny wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I'm currently suffering with consumption* so I'm going to be at the back.

*of too much cake

With a location like yours prawnster there will be no lack of hill climbing ability in those cake fueled legs.

You are not fooling anyone :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • prawny
    Flat as a pancake round here, don't know what you're on about.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • napoleond
    I have decided that I am going to charge £5 per person for this ride. All the money goes to a good cause which enables families to travel abroad to do charity work.

Well, When I say cause, I mean it goes towards the flights and hotel in Majorca.

Ermmm, when I say 'families', I mean my family.

Oh, and when I say charity work I mean supporting the local bar/taverna economy.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have decided that I am going to charge £5 per person for this ride. All the money goes to a good cause which enables families to travel abroad to do charity work.

Well, When I say cause, I mean it goes towards the flights and hotel in Majorca.

Oh, and when I say charity work I mean supporting the local bar/taverna economy.
    Even if 40 people turn up, you'll only have enough for a weekend B&B off-season in Blackpool and even then you won't have enough for a day pass on the pier. Still, it'll be a nice bracing ride down the front. :D
  • Gizmodo
    NapoleonD wrote:

Just thought, given your occupation I'm sure you can rope in some mates to provide a rolling road block then you can charge £40 a head for a closed road event :lol:
  • dave8178
    dave8178 Posts: 169
    Count me in. (only because the boss said it was ok). 8)
    specialized stumpjumper.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4461838/
    commencal supreme vip.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5884133/
    Bianchi via nirone 7.
  • napoleond
    Had a change of route to a more tried and tested one. I haven't been able to recce the one I chose. I also have only managed 4 hrs of riding in the last 2 months!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=510844
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Looks to be a nice and interesting route there Nap. I am a def, (injuries permitting, etc.) as I am staying up near Rawtenstall for the vintage bike ride over Nick O'Pendle on the Sunday. Hence, I get to have two days riding retro :)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Had a change of route to a more tried and tested one. I haven't been able to recce the one I chose. I also have only managed 4 hrs of riding in the last 2 months!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=510844

If you have done so little riding.... I'm hoping you will have learned from years gone by and made the route somewhat more flatter!!
  • napoleond
    I'll be reet. I think. Done 4hrs in the last 2 months...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'll be reet. I think. Done 4hrs in the last 2 months...

I've done 4 hours in the last 2 days - which for me - is about on par with your exploits.
  • smidsy
    At this rate we will need skis!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    HOLY SH1T!

Just did an hour on the flat and it nearly killed me. I seriously may well be a no-show for the first time!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    HOLY SH1T!

Just did an hour on the flat and it nearly killed me. I seriously may well be a no-show for the first time!

No way you're getting off that lightly. Come and keep me company at the back. 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    This is serious, I've ridden my bike 3 times since beginning of Jan. hardly managed 17 flat miles today. From experience, if you have a real struggler there it really holds everyone up...

Further more, after each of those times I've been getting a bad pain behind the right knee, can barely walk afterwards!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Gizmodo
    NapoleonD wrote:
    This is serious, I've ridden my bike 3 times since beginning of Jan. hardly managed 17 flat miles today. From experience, if you have a real struggler there it really holds everyone up...

Further more, after each of those times I've been getting a bad pain behind the right knee, can barely walk afterwards!
    You can drive the broom wagon as punishment if you're that bad :shock:
  • napoleond
    Gizmodo wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

You can drive the broom wagon as punishment if you're that bad :shock:

Not a bad idea...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • smidsy
    I was also being serious Nap. If you do not do it you will kick yourself.

A rider of your experience will soon pick it up and there will be a few who need the moral support up some of the climbs.

I doubt you will be the weakest link.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gizmodo
    smidsy wrote:
    I was also being serious Nap. If you do not do it you will kick yourself.

A rider of your experience will soon pick it up and there will be a few who need the moral support up some of the climbs.

I doubt you will be the weakest link.
    I hate to say it, but I agree with Smidsy :wink:

Get that wife of yours to give you a sports massage, that'll sort out any niggles. If she refuses I'm sure you can locate certain ladies who will be more than happy to give you a massage, there may even be a happy ending :shock:
  • smidsy
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I agree with Smidsy :wink:

Even a broken watch is correct twice a day :P
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • napoleond
    Oof! Just looked at my Strava feed. Last proper ride out was 10th Nov!!!

Need to get my head in gear as much as any training.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Hardcore training has started in earnest.

Yesty did an hour of hard intervals, today, 40 hilly miles on empty. Had to give in to a banana after 35 miles though!
    Tomorrow easy ride. Two days off then repeat until QuadPower(tm) develops.

Did Pexhill, Hollins Lane and Wilboarclough up to the cat and fiddle today. Bloody freezing!
    ABCC Cycling Coach