Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,687
    Doing my longest ride for ages, having a splendid paleron de boeuf for lunch in the middle of it, having beers in the fridge ready for when I got back, and a here's-a-meal-I-prepared-earlier to go in the microwave. And the chocolate caramel cake 20 miles from home was a bonus.

And I've got no opinions about ULEZ either. Well, not tonight, anyway.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

...And I've got no opinions about ULEZ either. Well, not tonight, anyway.

I don’t believe you. The number of comments on my Facebook feed about ULEZ from people that will never be affected by it is quite remarkable.
    I had a supplier on the phone today getting quite riled about the whole thing asking how badly it would affect me. I told him it wouldn’t, my bicycle is compliant. I fear the poor chap might read the Mail.
    He’s based in Staffordshire, rarely comes to London, it won’t affect him. The one in Birmingham might, but no comment on that.
  • briantrumpet

I don’t believe you. The number of comments on my Facebook feed about ULEZ from people that will never be affected by it is quite remarkable.
    I had a supplier on the phone today getting quite riled about the whole thing asking how badly it would affect me. I told him it wouldn’t, my bicycle is compliant. I fear the poor chap might read the Mail.
    He’s based in Staffordshire, rarely comes to London, it won’t affect him. The one in Birmingham might, but no comment on that.

It cheers me up that it's unlikely ever to affect me. Can't stand London (or any big cities, come to that), and if I do have to go there, the last thing I would want to do is drive there. But if I really did have to, my 20-year-old Almera is compliant anyway.
  • veronese68

It cheers me up that it's unlikely ever to affect me. Can't stand London (or any big cities, come to that), and if I do have to go there, the last thing I would want to do is drive there. But if I really did have to, my 20-year-old Almera is compliant anyway.
    Other than the first sentence this post fits the profile of many of the people moaning about ULEZ, I've even had people that have emigrated moaning about ULEZ. Are they worried that if they fly back to Heathrow their taxi might be non-compliant. It's really quite odd.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229

Other than the first sentence this post fits the profile of many of the people moaning about ULEZ, I've even had people that have emigrated moaning about ULEZ. Are they worried that if they fly back to Heathrow their taxi might be non-compliant. It's really quite odd.
    The usual media outlets are telling them what to get outraged about and they lack the ability to think for themselves in many cases.
  • veronese68
    Pross said:

The usual media outlets are telling them what to get outraged about and they lack the ability to think for themselves in many cases.
    Exactly
  • Pross
    Seasoning some potato wedges with pepper and the lid fell off covering some with a big pile of the stuff. I shook the worst of it off and baked them, coated them with cheese and me and the wife ended up playing a game of Russian roulette with them (she lost but I was certainly glad of the ice cream afterwards!)
  • veronese68
    Pross said:

Seasoning some potato wedges with pepper and the lid fell off covering some with a big pile of the stuff. I shook the worst of it off and baked them, coated them with cheese and me and the wife ended up playing a game of Russian roulette with them (she lost but I was certainly glad of the ice cream afterwards!)

Makes me glad we use a grinder as picking up whole pepper corns is far easier.
  • Clear sky, the feeling of summer in autumn, window open and a Robin singing accompanied by Starlings making creative sounds.
  • Pross
    Having an owl fly over my head as I was walking up the drive with the dogs last night. I hear them regularly but don’t see them very often and there’s always something special about seeing their silhouette in the dark sky especially when it is that low.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:
    If you do't find swearing shocking then that is very boring
  • ddraver said:

I must put my hand up to finding some of Billy Connolly's work not terribly funny for the same reason. Swearing can be absolutely brilliant (anyone remember Sally Smedley's singular instance from Drop The Dead Donkey?), but if it's ubiquitous, it loses its power to offend or humour. It's just boring.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,773

ddraver said:

I must put my hand up to finding some of Billy Connolly's work not terribly funny for the same reason. Swearing can be absolutely brilliant (anyone remember Sally Smedley's singular instance from Drop The Dead Donkey?), but if it's ubiquitous, it loses its power to offend or humour. It's just boring.
    Can be overdone - some of the best Billy Connolly stuff has relatively little swearing
    https://youtu.be/t7nsAMwl1T4?si=3nZuAbUtzlG5l_eI
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Can be overdone - some of the best Billy Connolly stuff has relatively little swearing
    https://youtu.be/t7nsAMwl1T4?si=3nZuAbUtzlG5l_eI

Yes, indeed, that's why I said "some of", as he has got a good eye/ear for comic observation and invention, and I just think sometimes his instinct to roll with the laughs at his swearing gets in the way of the cleverer stuff.
  • Pross
    Not that I needed cheering up after my trip to the Beacons to take photos last night but as I was driving home with my daughter we had a barn owl fly across the road in front of us with its ghostly silhouette and a few miles later I had to brake as a hare ran out in front of me then carried on up the lane in front of us for a couple of hundred metres.

In both cases it was the first time my 20 year old daughter had seen the animal and I think only the second time I had. Also had 3 rabbits try to commit suicide in front of my car but dodged them all.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117
    Plenty of Hares here. Plenty of road kill at the moment too unfortunately.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Getting complimented on my leg definition my the woman doing my sports massage as she was inflicting serious pain on one of my quad muscles with her elbow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Being told that I am lucky to be able to retire at 55.
    I am not 55! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.
  • Carrying over from 'uniforms' in the annoying thread, it cheers me up that 'all black' is becoming the norm for classical concert dress, for two reasons: firstly, I'm utterly bored of dress suit & bow tie, not least because it's a ridiculous get-up for the 21st century, if you want to make classical music less elitist, but it's also very hot to play in; secondly because you don't have to tiptoe around the gender issue ("suits for men, all black for women") and just say "all black". It still amuses me how much creativity the women will have within the 'all black' code, including eye-catchibng sparkly numbers. Well, I suppose the men could do that too, but I've yet to see it.
  • briantrumpet
    edited September 2023
    This cheered me up this morning too... talk about 'triggered'...!

• The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

Wonder when the rolling stones announcement will be.
  • veronese68

The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

Wonder when the rolling stones announcement will be.
    I think I'll be camping outside the shop for that
  • The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

I'm in!
  • veronese68

I'm in!
    Failed online as I was driving, hoping to get something in store
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117

What's he going on about and what's implied by a 'lumpy pillow'?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!

I'm in!
    Failed online as I was driving, hoping to get something in store
    Keep trying, they reappear quite often when baskets expire or they add a few
  • pinno said:

What's he going on about and what's implied by a 'lumpy pillow'?!

Dunno about the context, but I think the questioner was referring to a complaints line by that reference. But but sure.