Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    edited September 2023
    orraloon said:

Just watched the iPlayer version of Scott Mills interviewing Kylie M, excellent, she's an A1 person. Saw Kylie in the O2 in 2008, bleep me 15 years ago 😳, such a brilliant show then.

As Ozzyman would say a ‘fair dinkum sheila’. B)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I don’t whether I would say this cheered me up but it amused me.
    Apparently Vladimir Putins grandfather was a chef who served food to Rasputin, Lenin and Stalin.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    edited September 2023
    webboo said:

I don’t whether I would say this cheered me up but it amused me.
    Apparently Vladimir Putins grandfather was a chef who served food to Rasputin, Lenin and Stalin.

Three chances right there. 😉
    Says something about the family politics.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Couldn’t decide if this qualifies for the irony thread but it made me chuckle. The Americans asking for help from the public to find a missing stealth plane. They should be pleased to know the technology works if they can’t find it!
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

Couldn’t decide if this qualifies for the irony thread but it made me chuckle. The Americans asking for help from the public to find a missing stealth plane. They should be pleased to know the technology works if they can’t find it!

There has been a couple of movies made with this scenario.
    Ask Clint Eastwood or John Travolta. Coincidence that Travolta is a licensed pilot? 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Installing 'Genius PDF' on my phone... so far, no ads, no watermarks, and it's brilliantly speedy, as it automatically recognises the document (in my case, music) and automatically takes the photo before cropping and B&W-ing it into a multi-page PDF. I'm waiting for a catch...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hopefully doing some work with a the British Dyslexia association, and it's nice to speak to people who genuinely understand what you're on about and sharing different thought processes to arrive at the same thing.
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:
    That's brilliant, I was surprised the speed they came in at (downwards and forward). I assumed they would drop down more or less on top of it and flare the chute to steer the last bit.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:
    That's brilliant, I was surprised the speed they came in at (downwards and forward). I assumed they would drop down more or less on top of it and flare the chute to steer the last bit.
    Yeah it's how I thought it would go. The speed came as a bit of an eye opener.

Still sticking with the "jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft is not a natural act" mantra though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Go big or go home...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,147
    Wife said there was no more room in the cardboard recycling bin. Got two more large boxes in. 🏆
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    Been out for drinks after work and was walking to the bus stop with a lad over 20 years younger than me that is constantly yanking my chain about my age. Bus came round the corner so we had to tun a little over 100 yards, I left him for dead and had to ask the driver to wait a moment, he could hardly breathe once he got on the bus.
    Old and moderately fit trumps young and smoking should surprise no one, but it was satisfying 😁
  • rick_chasey

Been out for drinks after work and was walking to the bus stop with a lad over 20 years younger than me that is constantly yanking my chain about my age. Bus came round the corner so we had to tun a little over 100 yards, I left him for dead and had to ask the driver to wait a moment, he could hardly breathe once he got on the bus.
    Old and moderately fit trumps young and smoking should surprise no one, but it was satisfying 😁

Bahaha quality, (though beating an 80 year old isn’t all that 😈)
  • rick_chasey
    I was pretty ill with a bug this week so could barely eat anything.

Anyway i made my own lamb barbacoa, corn tortilla wraps, refried beans and guac.

Unfortunately the wife caught the same bug so just ended up making it for myself.

Still munching away. Lovely stuff.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Marketing babble.

because there are two points at which the stays intersect with the seat tube, this enables more forces to be dispersed.

/i>
    :)
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    If I may brag, I’ve basically stopped buying any kind of flat breads and have been making all different kinds myself since around June

Even pizzas for the family I’m just rustling up my own dough etc.

Definitely is an upgrade food wise and sits much better in the stomach.

(Stopping short of a thing that requires a double prove for now. Life feels too short)
  • I've now got 44 members in my Facebook 'Lardy Cake Appreciation Group'. It seems like there are many, erm, older folk who remember them from their youth but can't source them now, certainly not like they used to be.

I might have an Exeter baker interested in trying to make a good lardy cake, and found one person who remembers exactly how he used to make them, aged 12, for his baker father. Anyway, work in progress.

In not entirely unrelated news, I ordered one of those Kardia devices for checking on atrial fibrillation.
  • The baker in the high street in Wendover used to make Lardy cake when I lived there pre-2005
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117

If I may brag, I’ve basically stopped buying any kind of flat breads and have been making all different kinds myself since around June

Even pizzas for the family I’m just rustling up my own dough etc.

Definitely is an upgrade food wise and sits much better in the stomach.

(Stopping short of a thing that requires a double prove for now. Life feels too short)

You had the whole of lockdown to learn those skills but you are right; it tastes leagues better than shop bought.
    Learn how to make Naan and Pita bread.
    Naan is slightly tricky but well worth it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    I did an interval session on some paths at a local golf course last night and got there around sunset. There was no-one else around and at the start I was sharing the space with just some rabbits and geese coming in to land for the night then as it got darker it was just me and the bats which were out in force. I forgot my head torch so ended up running using just the light of the rising moon which became a bit tricky towards the end as it got properly dark but it wasa very atmospheric and peaceful. It was a really good session too, I'm probably the fittest I've been in 25 years with a month to go until my marathon.

• Ha, my 15 seconds of fame has extended somewhat - apparently I was on local BBC news before 7am, was in the second item on the Radio Devon news, and will be on Spotlight tonight with a longer item... just waiting for the autograph hunters now...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213

Ha, my 15 seconds of fame has extended somewhat - apparently I was on local BBC news before 7am, was in the second item on the Radio Devon news, and will be on Spotlight tonight with a longer item... just waiting for the autograph hunters now...

Wot 'av u did? For to get meejah presunce?
  • pblakeney
    Question just asked by my wife. "Is grouse spelt like grouse?". 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon said:

Ha, my 15 seconds of fame has extended somewhat - apparently I was on local BBC news before 7am, was in the second item on the Radio Devon news, and will be on Spotlight tonight with a longer item... just waiting for the autograph hunters now...

Wot 'av u did? For to get meejah presunce?

Not in the Tory MP league or nuffink... just nice musical stuff wot I played a part in... though apparently they chopped off my (talking) head for the evening bulletin, though my back featured otherwise, I gather.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,483
    That the Sheffield Shield Cricket competition is named for a donation of £150 from Lord Sheffield - 1 time owner of the Sheffield Park estate up the road from me - In Sussex :)