Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

Spotify's AI DJ is pretty good.

Agreed, like most radio DJs though, I wish he'd just shut the fck up.
    I turned it off very quickly in favour of a regular playlist, that shut him up. There should be an option to mute the DJ voice.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826

I turned it off very quickly in favour of a regular playlist, that shut him up. There should be an option to mute the DJ voice.
    It's different to a playlist, because it changes style every few songs. It's what spotify had been missing because it insists on segregating its automatically created playlists by style. But I really wish I could just shut him up. I hope that will come in an update soon.
  • veronese68
    Yes, that's why I wanted to listen to it. But I couldn't stand the whittering, maybe I should try again when I'm feeling more patient.
    Going to a gig at the Fighting Cocks in early September, that cheers me up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231

It's different to a playlist, because it changes style every few songs. It's what spotify had been missing because it insists on segregating its automatically created playlists by style. But I really wish I could just shut him up. I hope that will come in an update soon.
    Sounds like the AI has learned from Steve Wright
  • veronese68
    Pross said:

Sounds like the AI has learned from Steve Wright

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    I feel like it injects a bit more variety too. The daily mix playlists for each genre seem to stick with a lot of the same songs but the DJ throws in more stuff I haven't heard, which is what I really want.
    His between song banter is a bit annoying though.

• Pross
    I'd been having a problem with my car, a horrible knocking sound that got worse wih speed or when cornering and some vibration had started. It was also due its MOT and annual service in a couple of weeks so I got it booked in for everything with the expectation of a bill in excess of a grand as I suspected the best case problem was a wheel bearing. Got a call from the garage bracing myself for the estimate to be told my car was all done, had passed its MOT with just the rear number plate bulbs being replaced (which I already knew needed doing) and that they'd resolved the knocking by tightening up a few bolts although I did get an advisory due to some minor play remaining on the suspension arm. Total was £375 which was just the price of the MOT and a full service. Not bad for a 10 year old car with nearly 200k miles (and which I was given free when starting a job 6 years ago).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150
    Are those pictures from 2014 or now?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,601
    Both my trains to and from Cambridge were on time. I understand this is not normal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Both my trains to and from Cambridge were on time. I understand this is not normal.

Chose well since I’m on holiday ;)
  • veronese68
    Bosco verticale actually translates to vertical wood, but that could be taken to be something altogether different.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    The sad bit is that people like Mike Buckner have a right to vote, and they influence other muppets who also have the right to a vote.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    G'wan Lionos!!🫣
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,689
    pblakeney said:

The sad bit is that people like Mike Buckner have a right to vote, and they influence other muppets who also have the right to a vote.

I'd been wondering what had happened to Manc33.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I'd been wondering what had happened to Manc33.
    😂😂😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    The heptathlon at the World Champs, superb second day and ridiculously close.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    Pross said:

The heptathlon at the World Champs, superb second day and ridiculously close.

Especially watching it on Eurosport so they show sport.
  • Pross
    The men's 100m final was excellent too.
  • rick_chasey
    Virgin was charging me £81 a month for TV and broadband.

Just switched to Sky with more channels, free netflix, faster broadband for £48 per month*

*for first 18 months.
  • Pross

Just switched to Sky with more channels, free netflix, faster broadband for £48 per month*

*for first 18 months.

Virgin have just finally installed cables in my area, you get the opposite there and it would workout far cheaper than my BT and Sky. I guess it shows how they are all pre-programmed to win customers rather than keep their existing ones happy (see also insurance companies).
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

*for first 18 months.

Virgin have just finally installed cables in my area, you get the opposite there and it would workout far cheaper than my BT and Sky. I guess it shows how they are all pre-programmed to win customers rather than keep their existing ones happy (see also insurance companies).
    This.
    You'll probably be switching back in 18 months.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah probably.

£540 over 18 months savings isn't bad (plus sky actually has some of the few programmes I actually want to watch)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,601
    You can just phone them up and recontract. It's annoying, but possible.
  • veronese68

You can just phone them up and recontract. It's annoying, but possible.

The most annoying bit being that it takes a couple of hours, which is entirely deliberate. 🙄
    I'd love to find a fitting punishment for the people that put "your call is important to us" in hold messages. It's clearly not important enough to pay for enough staff.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,929
    It's a disgrace now it's the norm to to have to fart around with utilities which aren't a luxury, they're a necessity. Electric, gas, landline/broadband.

Disgrace!
  • briantrumpet
    edited August 2023
    It didn't cheer me up that I couldn't actually ride the bike loaded with my bricolage stuff this morning (I couldn't steer at all), but it's cheered me up that I've got it home by walking, I've had a beer, and it's time for lunch.

• briantrumpet
    In other news, passing a quarter of a million hits on my French FB Page for four weeks. Nuts. Or 'noix', if you prefer. Ride bike, take pictures.