Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Tashman said:

That the Sheffield Shield Cricket competition is named for a donation of £150 from Lord Sheffield - 1 time owner of the Sheffield Park estate up the road from me - In Sussex :)

:) knowing that because I heard it on the Chatabix podcast. He also had a station built specifically for himself on what is now the Bluebell railway, and that station was where the photo on the cover of Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection album was taken.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Not cheered me up, but certainly made me laugh at myself.
    While driving up a hill I looked at the speedo panel to see what the gradient was. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,928
    When it's warmer outside than inside with the days drawing in.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117
    pblakeney said:

While driving up a hill I looked at the speedo panel to see what the gradient was. 🤣

Stick a spirit level to the dash.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?
    Perhaps a marble to some blu tack. Then you know it's steep if it falls off.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,684
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?

I reckon a lead weight suspended from the rear view mirror, with a curved gauge attached to the dashboard.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,147
    edited October 2023

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?

I reckon a lead weight suspended from the rear view mirror, with a curved gauge attached to the dashboard.
    Braking hard may lead to a shattered windscreen. Sharp acceleration could lead to concussion.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?

Braking hard may lead to a shattered windscreen. Sharp acceleration could lead to concussion.

So it's also an aid to encourage smoother driving and avoiding bison on the A1. Win-win.
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

Centre console surely?

So it's also an aid to encourage smoother driving and avoiding bison on the A1. Win-win.
    IIRC there was an episode of Top Gear where Jackie Stewart was teaching James May how to drive fast. He placed a marble in a saucer and if it came out it was driver error.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Estimated 'lectric for year (which includes all heating) £550.

It's 1st October, and I've had the back door and a window open most of the day.
  • briantrumpet
    More Google Sheets/GMass magic: realising that I can personalise the title of my invoicing emails automatically using the fields from the appropriate sheet.

@pinno - let me know when you want a sesh.
  • briantrumpet
    My replacement Sony HX-60 camera arrived today, £160 from eBay, and looks in pristine condition. The submersible one still won't fire up despite several days gentle drying in rice, so I think it's dead, which doesn't surprise me, as straight after the dunking it switched itself on and the display did all sorts of random things before it went dead.
  • pinno

My replacement Sony HX-60 camera arrived today, £160 from eBay, and looks in pristine condition. The submersible one still won't fire up despite several days gentle drying in rice, so I think it's dead, which doesn't surprise me, as straight after the dunking it switched itself on and the display did all sorts of random things before it went dead.

You killed it.
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

You killed it.

By drowning. Undignified way to go, but at least it was a fresh moorland river rather than the toilet.
  • pinno

pinno said:

You killed it.

By drowning. Undignified way to go, but at least it was a fresh moorland river rather than the toilet.
    Ah, I bought a brand spanking new mobile phone during lockdown and Tricky chucked it down the toilet within a few days.
    Dried it out after hurriedly removing the battery but the speaker stopped working.
  • briantrumpet
    Dan Neidle's forensic dismemberment of a tax avoidance scheme for landlords.

• I quite admire the brass neck of calling your scheme "Less Tax for Landlords" and then saying it is not a tax avoidance scheme.
  • The Just Stop Oil guy has realised that the protests might be counter productive.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    We are no longer members of a building society
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As I was riding back in to the village, I got a huge wave and shouts of “ Hi ya” from a little lad about 3 years old.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

As I was riding back in to the village, I got a huge wave and shouts of “ Hi ya” from a little lad about 3 years old.

I always wave and say hello to the little ones if they are obviously looking.
    Positive reinforcement and all that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    Getting the summer bike back out again, after I'd stowed it away. Looks like tomorrow will be another chance too.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

I always wave and say hello to the little ones if they are obviously looking.
    Positive reinforcement and all that.
    I usually try and wave or acknowledge anyone I pass who’s riding or walking when I’m out.
  • briantrumpet
    And it's going to be the summer bike again tomorrow, probably for a longer ride... could be the last hurrah before more autumnal weather.

• pblakeney

And it's going to be the summer bike again tomorrow, probably for a longer ride... could be the last hurrah before more autumnal weather.

This'll be why I keep my good bike as my main bike until the clocks change.
    Had many a good cycle in October and I can always haul the other bike out if required.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

Had many a good cycle in October and I can always haul the other bike out if required.
    I have gone between the two so far this 'Autumn'. Saturday I used the winter bike because the roads were so filthy even though it was really mild - 18 deg c.
    Today I don't know. I am going to have to fit lights at the front it's so foggy.
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

I have gone between the two so far this 'Autumn'. Saturday I used the winter bike because the roads were so filthy even though it was really mild - 18 deg c.
    Today I don't know. I am going to have to fit lights at the front it's so foggy.
    Those two examples are when I haul the other bike out. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Deciding not to pay extra for next day delivery and receiving my goods before 10am the next day anyway using the free delivery option.
  • People that wave a thank you for letting them cross a zebra crossing.