Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    A certain someone chose the wrong time/route for a bike ride.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66749354
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

I'm in!
    Failed online as I was driving, hoping to get something in store
    Keep trying, they reappear quite often when baskets expire or they add a few
    Luckily I'd done that. Have previously got tickets that were sold out online by going to the shop, they used to hold some back for people going to the shop, not any more it seems.
    Fingers crossed, I'm sure it will be a good show.
  • The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

I'm in!
    Luckily I'd done that. Have previously got tickets that were sold out online by going to the shop, they used to hold some back for people going to the shop, not any more it seems.
    Nice one.

Ash are next up for me, last time they put on a great little show.
  • veronese68

The Pretenders playing a 5 minute walk away from my place next month, just have to get the tickets tomorrow.

I'm in!
    Nice one.

Ash are next up for me, last time they put on a great little show.
    That should be good, I know we've said it before, but we really are very lucky to live where we do. Been to some great gigs as a result.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    edited September 2023
    having known only those 2 songs beforehand, Ash are one of the effortlessly good bands I've had the pleasure to see. Saw them at Download too which is hardly their natural happy place...

Edit - Feeder being another one at that festival...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117
    Never heard of them.

Quite catchy really. Like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xFDuaYKOeo
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    pblakeney said:

A certain someone chose the wrong time/route for a bike ride.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66749354

I’m surprised none of the tabloids had a headline of ‘Cyclist arrested and sent back to prison’
  • Managing to get through a supposedly three-hour online safeguaring course in just over the hour. Mind you, it would have been about twenty minutes if they'd just let you read normal documents and do the 'quizzes' to check you've read them (or just to check that you have any reading ability at all).

It didn't cheer me up that I then found another online thing to complete (on fire safety) in my semi-junk inbox. Still, all done now.
  • pblakeney
    I used to skip through the reading material as fast as was possible then apply common sense and logic to the quizzes. Much more time efficient and if you pass anyway, why not?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

I used to skip through the reading material as fast as was possible then apply common sense and logic to the quizzes. Much more time efficient and if you pass anyway, why not?

Indeed, but they cottoned onto that and won't let you skip anything. The best you can do is to whizz onto the next video snippet the first moment they'll let you. And they won't let you take the test until you've seen all the snippets. The fire saftey one was 42, yes, 42 little videos. I'm not sure how many times I needed to see the same bloke pulling off the security thing, removing the pin, pointing the extinguisher away from the fire and testing the extinguisher. Actually, yes I do, it was (at most) once, and not the six times for the six different extinguishers.

I diverted myself with random stuff in another window alongside, with the volume turned down on the training video. Got one question wrong, so if I burn to death, you'll know why.
  • Ha, this still cheers me up too... featuring a two-star review on the publicity poster...

• pblakeney said:

in the aftermath of a disaster when the lawsuits are flying they can point to your training log to prove they did everything possible to mitigate the risk.
  • I have a nasty suspicion I'll have those beastly online training things to do shortly. No skipping the tedious video clips so it's likely the same as Brian's just endured. Wrong thread :(

It's not about protecting us, it's about covering the @rses of the senior management team / governors.

And if you ever speak to the Fire Brigade, they'd rather we just get the F out of the building than faff around with possibly the wrong fire extinguisher...
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2023

pblakeney said:

in the aftermath of a disaster when the lawsuits are flying they can point to your training log to prove they did everything possible to mitigate the risk.
    Unlikely given a desk job and nothing happened. Nobody tripped over a stray cable.
    I passed all tests which should suffice. The tests are proven to be insufficient if not.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2023
    Munsford0 said:

I have a nasty suspicion I'll have those beastly online training things to do shortly. No skipping the tedious video clips so it's likely the same as Brian's just endured. Wrong thread :(

It's not about protecting us, it's about covering the @rses of the senior management team / governors.

And if you ever speak to the Fire Brigade, they'd rather we just get the F out of the building than faff around with possibly the wrong fire extinguisher...

Ever hung around to see them b0llock someone when the civilian chose not to leave the building during an alarm?

Could hear them through the double glazed window haha.
  • Munsford0 said:

I have a nasty suspicion I'll have those beastly online training things to do shortly. No skipping the tedious video clips so it's likely the same as Brian's just endured. Wrong thread :(

Yeah, pretty much the only thing I can remember from all the fire extinguisher stuff is how to remove the security tag and safety pin, and not to spray water on an electrical fire. Well, durr!

It reminded me a bit of the stuff about slings in First Aid training... takes up 30 minutes of the course, is of little practical use in an emergency, and you forget it as you walk out of the door at the end of the day. Leave it to the professionals, as with fires.
  • Munsford0 said:

Ever hung around to see them b0llock someone when the civilian chose not to leave the building during an alarm?

Could hear them through the double glazed window haha.
    that is because their role is to save lives ot to put our fires. They will let a building burn but if some goon is still inside they ahve to risk their lives to rescue him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2023
    lol yes I know.

Just enjoyed someone trying to be billy big balls get absolutely roasted....figuratively.
  • veronese68

Munsford0 said:

...and not to spray water on an electrical fire. Well, durr!
    Or an oil fire. A row of tea light candles in a rack caught fire at my grandads funeral, someone got an old brass conical fire extinguisher that was little more than a water pistol. The rest of the rack caught fire and the flames shot about 6' into the air. My uncle and I ran out the back and grabbed handfuls of soil to put the fire out.
    As we sat down again the priest said "...and he dedicated his life to the fire service..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    I like the idea of candles catching fire being an issue rather than what they are designed to do 😂
  • veronese68
    Pross said:

I like the idea of candles catching fire being an issue rather than what they are designed to do 😂

Yes, missed out a crucial detail there. I mean the liquid wax in the tea light which burns like oil, rather than the wick if anyone wasn't sure. My gran was very pleased about the whole thing as she took it as a sign from on high that he'd gone up. I thought fire was associated with the other place. He did have an MBE for fire service and was president of the Chief Fire Officers Association, so it was quite funny.
  • Pross said:

Yes, missed out a crucial detail there. I mean the liquid wax in the tea light which burns like oil, rather than the wick if anyone wasn't sure. My gran was very pleased about the whole thing as she took it as a sign from on high that he'd gone up. I thought fire was associated with the other place. He did have an MBE for fire service and was president of the Chief Fire Officers Association, so it was quite funny.

What a fantastic tale, and one that no-one is going to forget. Given we're all going that way sooner or later, if I could raise a smile or two after I've gone, I'd be quite happy (if I weren't dead).
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,598
    Munsford0 said:

This is what most of the courses are about.
  • veronese68

Pross said:

What a fantastic tale, and one that no-one is going to forget. Given we're all going that way sooner or later, if I could raise a smile or two after I've gone, I'd be quite happy (if I weren't dead).
    It would have been rather embarrassing if the church burnt down
  • Pross said:

It would have been rather embarrassing if the church burnt down

Divine intervention, obvs.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,148
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    Just had a chat on t'phone with last remaining auntie, my late mum's elder sister and last survivor of the generation above. She'd heard it through the grapevine about my bad eye problems and with her own gradual degradation to registered blind status she wanted to reach out, My problem is different to hers and should be fixed but really uplifted by her and her attitude to life.

Ok pour me a glass.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,683
    Went to a gig at our local pub last night and saw a band called "The Dollheads". A trio of siblings from Las Vegas. Ages from 13 to 17. Playing indie pop punk. Absolutely blinding gig! Such a polished act and really talented. I was gobsmacked. Fab.

https://www.instagram.com/the_dollheads/?hl=en-gb

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    Just watched the iPlayer version of Scott Mills interviewing Kylie M, excellent, she's an A1 person. Saw Kylie in the O2 in 2008, bleep me 15 years ago 😳, such a brilliant show then.