Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    edited August 2023
    Tinyurl
    Although now I look again I see that URL is quoted in speech marks so is the forum displaying wrongly again 🙄
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,773
    rjsterry said:

Well that's that theory blown. Can see them on my Android phone but not my MacBook. Do you have the Google Photos app, Stevo?

Actually I do remember one of mine being visible and then not to some people so it seems to be an intermittent problem.

I do have it, yep.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Mediterranean produce is just the best

It is; though it'll be interesting to see if it survives in its current form if weather trends continue... there's been no real rain here since late June, and a lot of this produce relies on irrigation from groundwater and rivers, which might not be sustainable at scale.

In the meantime, I'm gorging myself before the return to Turnipland.
    No offence intended; you'll be dead by the time that happens.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,688

It is; though it'll be interesting to see if it survives in its current form if weather trends continue... there's been no real rain here since late June, and a lot of this produce relies on irrigation from groundwater and rivers, which might not be sustainable at scale.

Quite possibly, though with the interest (here) that the various authorities are taking in groundwater and river levels, and the speed with which detailed drought orders are imposed, I'd not yet discount seeing the start of some changes, to make the agriculture more sustainable (that being a major focus of the area already).
  • briantrumpet
    Mopping up excess vinaigrette dressing with good bread, after you've eaten all the salad.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,148

Think this is overly optimistic.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,605
    rjsterry said:

Or quite the threat
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,148

rjsterry said:

🤨

I just meant that we're already at the point of farmers losing crops to drought or unseasonal rain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

🤨

I just meant that we're already at the point of farmers losing crops to drought or unseasonal rain.
    The main question is, at what point does unseasonal become the tipping point?
    Not something that cheers me up. 😢
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

🤨

The main question is, at what point does unseasonal become the tipping point?
    Not something that cheers me up. 😢

That's why I raised the point. When I see maize (for cattle feed) being irrigated from groundwater at 10am with those twizzly irrigators spraying water onto already-hot plants on a day when it's going over 30C and there's not been any rain for eight weeks, that's really not good use of water. And that's despite continuing drought restrictions since last summer, trying to reduce the groundwater deficit.

The only consolation is that my water supply comes straight off the limestone plateau behind me, with a Dartmoor-like climate. If we run out of water, the end of the world is nigh.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,598
    Train staff seem flustered due to the higher number of passengers. Self inflicted pain.
  • briantrumpet
    Realising later that I must have knocked the cheap reading glasses of the top of my head this morning, returned to what I guessed was the scene of the mishap (a twanging tree branch) at the end of the walk three hours later, and managed to find the glasses in the dry river bed. It annoys me that I get disproportionally annoyed with myself for stupidly losing something cheap, but this time I didn't need to call my therapist.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    That the Bad Eye ongoing shenanigans give me a good excuse for watching (via the good eye) La Vuelta stages. There's always an upside.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    Getting a new Parkrun PB (and second fastest ever 5k time) plus first in age group this morning. 14th overall out of 176 too.

Parkrun does flatter a bit but it was my second PB in 3 days after a 4 minute one on a hilly 7 mile race on Wednesday evening.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,794

Seems my family know me only too well...
  • Pross
    Walking somewhere on your doorstep you knew about but had never been. In this case it was just an old colliery site that has been allowed to rewild itself. Took the dog up there while my daughter was working at a party just down the road, only saw two other people and no dogs on a nice, easy 2.5 mile walk and some great scenery
  • briantrumpet
    Haha, arranging a bike ride up to Grenoble all via the FFF (French Facebook Fans) - lunch with four of them on the Vercors plateau, afternoon coffee with another further north, then dinner and an overnight sofa in Grenoble with another, who will ride back on his VAE (electric bike) part of the way with me on Friday. It does mean I'll get to do some roads I've never done, plus what was the world's scariest tunnel till it go some lighting a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO5WliIFMxs

If I don't post here next weekend, you'll know I've been kidnapped or murdered, and that my assessment of social media contacts was flawed.
  • Pross
    Germany failing to win a medal of any colour at the World Athletics Championships. What is German for schadenfreude?
  • rick_chasey
    Athletics world champs were great this year.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117

Haha, arranging a bike ride up to Grenoble all via the FFF (French Facebook Fans) - lunch with four of them on the Vercors plateau, afternoon coffee with another further north, then dinner and an overnight sofa in Grenoble with another, who will ride back on his VAE (electric bike) part of the way with me on Friday. It does mean I'll get to do some roads I've never done, plus what was the world's scariest tunnel till it go some lighting a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO5WliIFMxs

If I don't post here next weekend, you'll know I've been kidnapped or murdered, and that my assessment of social media contacts was flawed.

It's a bit spooky but not that long.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I didn't know you were the motorbike type...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

I (kinda) dated a Dutch girl called Femke who looked like Mevrouw Bol...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

I've been watching the last few evenings because it's one of those things that makes summer feel like summer, athletics under lights, and it has been really good. Already looking forward to the olympics next year now.
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

I didn't know you were the motorbike type...?

It's a pity I can't find a video of it being done on a bike before they put the lights in... it's 500m long, no pavement and just the width of a car, and only two small passing places. Mental to think it's two-way traffic.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

I (kinda) dated a Dutch girl called Femke who looked like Mevrouw Bol...

Good effort
  • rick_chasey
    I love it when there are loads of different languages flying about in the office.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117

I love it when there are loads of different languages flying about in the office.

I loved going through Schiphol and (if it's still there) watching kids from all over the world play in the ball pit. No question of ethnicity.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!