Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Starting to think you're that RS Archer bloke off of twitter...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,689
    edited August 2023
    ddraver said:

Should I be making stuff up?

Anyway, much more importantly than FB Page views is that I've done done my rustic bricolage despite it being 37C, and have now rebuilt my woodpile for the winter. Just need to look at how I can make a roof for it now, without resorting to the probably-asbestos roofing sheets in the cellar.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Doesn't seem to hurt follower counts...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117

ddraver said:

Anyway, much more importantly than FB Page views is that I've done done my rustic bricolage despite it being 37C, and have now rebuilt my woodpile for the winter. Just need to look at how I can make a roof for it now, without resorting to the probably-asbestos roofing sheets in the cellar.
    If it is the white stuff, just don't cut or drill it without a tight fitting mask.
    It's very stable and goes on for years.

Use:

https://www.kingfisheruk.com/asbestos-roof-sealer-amp-primer-item-55ps#55ps

For long term peace of mind.

Asbestos Roof Sealer and Primer
    Developed primarily as a remedial treatment to improve the safety of corrugated asbestos cement roof sheets, Asbestos Roof Sealer and Primer is a fine liquid acrylic-ester dispersion, which helps to suppress dust and limit the release of potentially hazardous, chrysotile asbestos fibres. It has the approximate consistency of water and absorbs readily into porous asbestos roof sheets and profile cladding.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

ddraver said:

If it is the white stuff, just don't cut or drill it without a tight fitting mask.
    It's very stable and goes on for years.

Use:

https://www.kingfisheruk.com/asbestos-roof-sealer-amp-primer-item-55ps#55ps

For long term peace of mind.

Asbestos Roof Sealer and Primer
    Developed primarily as a remedial treatment to improve the safety of corrugated asbestos cement roof sheets, Asbestos Roof Sealer and Primer is a fine liquid acrylic-ester dispersion, which helps to suppress dust and limit the release of potentially hazardous, chrysotile asbestos fibres. It has the approximate consistency of water and absorbs readily into porous asbestos roof sheets and profile cladding.
    Thanks Pinno. I'll look into it, though I suspect a less weighty (and less durable) alternative for this might be preferable, especially as I'm kind of intruding into what is nominally a road (I think I'm the only person in 10 years to have the nerve to squeeze a car down it), so want to make it look a bit makeshift, albeit tidy... I'll see what the local brico place has first.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Being in a dentist's chair for 2-1/2 hours instead of the planned 1 hour. No, not that.
    Overrunning my parking by over an hour. No, not that.
    Sweet talking my way out of a parking ticket just by being pleasant. That.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Being in a dentist's chair for 2-1/2 hours instead of the planned 1 hour. No, not that.
    Overrunning my parking by over an hour. No, not that.
    Sweet talking my way out of a parking ticket just by being pleasant. That.

Maybe they recognised the torture that dentists inflict, and didn't want to be thought of as worse than a dentist.

Anyway, definitely a win.
  • briantrumpet
    edited August 2023
    This lot, £6. All local (well, the grapes are from Provence, about 40 miles away).

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

This lot, £6. All local (well, the grapes are from Provence, about 40 miles away).

Mediterranean produce is just the best
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,794

You could have tried harder to make a face out of it.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,929
    edited August 2023
    With global warming we will get lush fruit like this too.
  • pblakeney

Heads up - Your links are too long to be displayed. For me anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150
    pblakeney said:

Heads up - Your links are too long to be displayed. For me anyway.
    What, the picture of peaches and stuff? Looks fine to me.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

Will global warming will get lush fruit like this too.

My mum has grapes, toms and apples growing outside in Worcestershire. Don't think she's tried peaches yet.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

You paid £6 for nothing?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    No idea what's going on with the links and visibility, sorry... it's Google Photos, so am using a workaround, which is obviously not 100%.

Sorry about the lack of face (or c0ck & b@lls). Terrible oversight on my part, especially as I forgot to use the cucumber I'd put in the fridge.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

You paid £6 for nothing?

Haha. The joys of IT.

• briantrumpet

Mediterranean produce is just the best

It is; though it'll be interesting to see if it survives in its current form if weather trends continue... there's been no real rain here since late June, and a lot of this produce relies on irrigation from groundwater and rivers, which might not be sustainable at scale.

In the meantime, I'm gorging myself before the return to Turnipland.
  • rjsterry

Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    How come I can only see the images where people quote Stevo quoting the image, but not in Stevo's original quoting or Brian's original image?
  • briantrumpet

How come I can only see the images where people quote Stevo quoting the image, but not in Stevo's original quoting or Brian's original image?

There's something weird going on with long Google Photos image links. RJS's and my replies have screenshot images, not the original image.
  • Stevo_666

Yep, I could see nowt until my post was quoted. Weird.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    It's a fruit salad. And a face with a very long nose, obvs.

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

If you are on a Windows machine, the Google Photos file paths are longer than the 256 character limit. Android and MacOS don't have such a limit so I can see all the photos.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you are on a Windows machine, the Google Photos file paths are longer than the 256 character limit. Android and MacOS don't have such a limit so I can see all the photos.
    I'm on an Android tablet.
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

And I'm on Windows. Though maybe I can see it because it's my link.
  • pblakeney
    ...and I'm on MacOS and can't see a thing.
    Could be blockers or summat though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023
    Well that's that theory blown. Can see them on my Android phone but not my MacBook. Do you have the Google Photos app, Stevo?

Actually I do remember one of mine being visible and then not to some people so it seems to be an intermittent problem.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited August 2023
    Another thought: does Brian need to Share the image to a public Google Photos folder first, then post the link from that shared image?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Another thought: does Brian need to Share the image to a public Google Photos folder first, then post the link from that shared image?

Ugh. I've tried making the folder public by creating a sharing link and updating permissions, but not sure it'll make any difference. Looks like Google Photos is not as straightforward as it ought to be for sharing images in other websites.