Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150
    My crop of figs.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The obvious downside is that wherever you're sitting in the bus, it's still a bus :)

Your loss. More room for me 🙂
    More people on buses = room on the road for me. Win-win.

That's the bit from motorheads I don't get, whether it's about cycling or public transport... they should be thanking those leaving their cars at home (and those who don't have a car to leave anywhere) for leaving roads free for those who really do need to use a car (or an ambulance, or whatever).
    Who gets to decide who needs to use a car for any given trip?

I didn't even have to tag you.
    I can spot ecobollox from a long way off.

You might note that I didn't say those who didn't *really need* to use a car wouldn't be allowed to, but I seem to have touched a nerve anyway.
    No nerves touched, just need to put you right every now and then. It's a public service I perform.

I must have missed you putting me right. Writing "ecobollox" is not a terribly persuasive argument.
    Maybe I touched a nerve there? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,689
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The obvious downside is that wherever you're sitting in the bus, it's still a bus :)

That's the bit from motorheads I don't get, whether it's about cycling or public transport... they should be thanking those leaving their cars at home (and those who don't have a car to leave anywhere) for leaving roads free for those who really do need to use a car (or an ambulance, or whatever).

You might note that I didn't say those who didn't *really need* to use a car wouldn't be allowed to, but I seem to have touched a nerve anyway.
    No nerves touched, just need to put you right every now and then. It's a public service I perform.

I must have missed you putting me right. Writing "ecobollox" is not a terribly persuasive argument.

That's not putting me right either. Still waiting...
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's not putting me right either. Still waiting...
    I'm talking generally so there's no need to wait.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    You two bitching like schoolgirls definitely doesn't belong in this thread.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

You two bitching like schoolgirls definitely doesn't belong in this thread.

It is trivial though.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    Watching medal ceremony at the Worlds, gold has a stump arm and a longer stump no elbows. All gold medal winners get a (sponsor) Tissot watch. Is it a wristwatch?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,117
    I stumbled on this 'eco bollox':

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe you don't like buses because there's a slim chance you might have to interact with people.
  • pinno
    I remember getting a DD bus from Victoria all the way to Seven Kings when I was 13 on my Jimmy Todd. It was ace.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe you don't like buses because there's a slim chance you might have to interact with people.
    I the lad with his head out of the car window is taking to you ;)
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

When are you selling your Porsche to save the world then?
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Sorry but my carbon offset is huge.
    Selling my Porker won't save the world.
    Cynicism definitely won't save it either Hud.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Sorry but my carbon offset is huge.
    Selling my Porker won't save the world.
    Cynicism definitely won't save it either Hud.

Your honorary sainthood is in the post.
  • briantrumpet
    Seeing five shooting stars in about 10 minutes as part of the Pleiades - hadn't realised how fast they moved. In between, marvelled at the Milky Way.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231

Seeing five shooting stars in about 10 minutes as part of the Pleiades - hadn't realised how fast they moved. In between, marvelled at the Milky Way.

No photos? I really wanted to go out and try to capture both but I’d need to drive a fair distance for dark enough skies and with the amount of cloud around it was unlikely to be worth the effort.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

No photos? I really wanted to go out and try to capture both but I’d need to drive a fair distance for dark enough skies and with the amount of cloud around it was unlikely to be worth the effort.

Apologies, no, as I've not worked out how to do astronomy photos on my equipment (Huawei phone or the Sony HX60). I think the next good night will be tomorrow evening, and I gather that after midnight will be a good time. Once my eyes had adjusted to just starlight, I realised how many aeroplanes criss-cross the sky at night, lights flashing.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,664

Pross said:

Apologies, no, as I've not worked out how to do astronomy photos on my equipment (Huawei phone or the Sony HX60). I think the next good night will be tomorrow evening, and I gather that after midnight will be a good time. Once my eyes had adjusted to just starlight, I realised how many aeroplanes criss-cross the sky at night, lights flashing.
    Planes in the sky at any time is mind boggling...

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross

Pross said:

First chance of a clear night sky here seems to be Tuesday. I’ll hopefully get out then and there should still be a few meteors around although the rate apparently drops of quite quickly from last night’s peak. New moon is Wednesday as well so skies should be pretty dark if I can get away from light pollution.

With the skies you must get out there it’s got to be worth getting a tripod and then just a case of taking long exposure shots and if you have an interesting foreground subject ‘paint’ it a bit with a torch so it stands out.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

First chance of a clear night sky here seems to be Tuesday. I’ll hopefully get out then and there should still be a few meteors around although the rate apparently drops of quite quickly from last night’s peak. New moon is Wednesday as well so skies should be pretty dark if I can get away from light pollution.

With the skies you must get out there it’s got to be worth getting a tripod and then just a case of taking long exposure shots and if you have an interesting foreground subject ‘paint’ it a bit with a torch so it stands out.
    Top tip seems to be to rest the camera on its back, and to use the self timer mode for releasing the shutter. I'll give it a go anyway.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Top tip seems to be to rest the camera on its back, and to use the self timer mode for releasing the shutter. I'll give it a go anyway.
    Anything stable really. It’s better to have some landscape in the shot rather than just the sky, stars and meteors IMHO though. If the camera has an intervalometer built in that’s useful too as it will just keep rattling off shots and you possibly stack them for maximum effect.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Anything stable really. It’s better to have some landscape in the shot rather than just the sky, stars and meteors IMHO though. If the camera has an intervalometer built in that’s useful too as it will just keep rattling off shots and you possibly stack them for maximum effect.

Good point re including landscape. I ought to bring out my proper mini tripod from Topsham next time, as it sits there doing nothing. Googling it, I don't think my HX-60 has much chance of capturing anything much, but worth a try anyway.
  • briantrumpet
    Anyway, meanwhile, my washing went from dripping wet to bone dry in an hour. Topsham's never quite like that...
  • Pross

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Good point re including landscape. I ought to bring out my proper mini tripod from Topsham next time, as it sits there doing nothing. Googling it, I don't think my HX-60 has much chance of capturing anything much, but worth a try anyway.
    Looking at the specs you should be OK. It shoots up to 30” exposure and max. ISO of 3200. Definitely worth trying.

I’m going to give my iPhone a go alongside the SLR next time I get out to see what it can produce.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    Watching the Worlds para races from yesterday on catch up and going oh that's where that happened (as being there apart from Jo Public on GCN live, got no clue as to what's going on per 20-23 min lap) then oh there's me banging on the barriers. 👍😉
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Watching the Worlds para races from yesterday on catch up and going oh that's where that happened (as being there apart from Jo Public on GCN live, got no clue as to what's going on per 20-23 min lap) then oh there's me banging on the barriers. 👍😉

Shameless plug?
  • Ridiculously pleased at getting a free Shimano cowbell at the UCI Roads
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Looking at the specs you should be OK. It shoots up to 30” exposure and max. ISO of 3200. Definitely worth trying.

I’m going to give my iPhone a go alongside the SLR next time I get out to see what it can produce.
    In some ways you might do better with a phone as there's more likely to be an app with settings optimised for astrophotography. Your camera will have a limited choice of firmware.

https://alynwallacephotography.com/blog/astrophotography-with-a-smartphone-huawei-redmi-google-pixel-iphone
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826

Spotify's AI DJ is pretty good.

Agreed, like most radio DJs though, I wish he'd just shut the fck up.