Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

Every time.

I see you didn't take a double decker to your secondary school every day...!

As you get older you move further back; top level back seat is for the eldest/coolest.

Front top was for the year 7s.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024
    Rear of the bus is for cool kids. Upper front is undeniably the best seat, especially if you don't care about other people's opinions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    Do they still have the periscope think so drivers can see all the kids messing about upstairs or has technology made that redundant?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    I think it's all CCTV now.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Every time.

As you get older you move further back; top level back seat is for the eldest/coolest.

I'm a long way past delusions of being cool.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Every time.

Am I looking at a different picture to you?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Every time.

Am I looking at a different picture to you?
    Don't think so. I'd say a middle-aged bloke excited at being in the front seat of the top deck is a long way from being cool.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774
    The obvious downside is that wherever you're sitting in the bus, it's still a bus :)

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

The obvious downside is that wherever you're sitting in the bus, it's still a bus :)

Your loss. More room for me 🙂
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

More people on buses = room on the road for me. Win-win.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,694
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's the bit from motorheads I don't get, whether it's about cycling or public transport... they should be thanking those leaving their cars at home (and those who don't have a car to leave anywhere) for leaving roads free for those who really do need to use a car (or an ambulance, or whatever).
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826

• briantrumpet
    Anyway, I've cheered myself by retrieving the mangled cable from my Shimano shifter, replaced it, and indexed the gears. It's not a good design at all, as far as metal fatigue is concerned, having the cable flex in two different planes. OTOH, I've yet to have a shifter wear out, which isn't bad, given I've had all mine 8y+ (and the oldest are now 13yo).

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    ddraver said:

Does the line go up or down then though?

Falls off a cliff at the age you can't climb the stairs
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

Anyway, I've cheered myself by retrieving the mangled cable from my Shimano shifter, replaced it, and indexed the gears. It's not a good design at all, as far as metal fatigue is concerned, having the cable flex in two different planes. OTOH, I've yet to have a shifter wear out, which isn't bad, given I've had all mine 8y+ (and the oldest are now 13yo).

Mine failed in the same spot, I'm sure they all do unless they're the old ones where that cables don't go under the bar tape. Looked on SJS and they had the plastic guide bits for my shifters for £1.99. Mine were alright, but as the cable lining bit had worn through I'm sure they will go soon. Bought the cable lining stuff and the plastic guides so I should be good for a while yet, I hope.
  • briantrumpet

Mine failed in the same spot, I'm sure they all do unless they're the old ones where that cables don't go under the bar tape. Looked on SJS and they had the plastic guide bits for my shifters for £1.99. Mine were alright, but as the cable lining bit had worn through I'm sure they will go soon. Bought the cable lining stuff and the plastic guides so I should be good for a while yet, I hope.

Yeah, the ones that don't go under the bar tape don't have the extra corner to turn and just come out the side, and the cables last much longer. On the two with corners to turn (6600 and 6700, I think, in my case), I'm lucky if I get 4000 miles out of a cable for the rear shifter. A real PITA, especially when there are mountains involved. Given it's such an easy job, and the cables barely last a year, it's almost worth doing it every six months for peace of mind.

Would be interested to hear how effectively your new bits work.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608

Yeah, the ones that don't go under the bar tape don't have the extra corner to turn and just come out the side, and the cables last much longer. On the two with corners to turn (6600 and 6700, I think, in my case), I'm lucky if I get 4000 miles out of a cable for the rear shifter. A real PITA, especially when there are mountains involved. Given it's such an easy job, and the cables barely last a year, it's almost worth doing it every six months for peace of mind.

Would be interested to hear how effectively your new bits work.
    I broke my old Cannondale before its cables gave up. Everything about the gears on the bike was perfect - no trimming required and never failed.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I tend to change cables before a big event if I can’t explicitly recall when I did change them. Reckon this ends up with them being changed every couple of years.

Problem with SRAM ones is they do a weird transverse loop of the lever that is not the easiest to thread.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's the bit from motorheads I don't get, whether it's about cycling or public transport... they should be thanking those leaving their cars at home (and those who don't have a car to leave anywhere) for leaving roads free for those who really do need to use a car (or an ambulance, or whatever).
    Who gets to decide who needs to use a car for any given trip?
  • Stevo_666
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    I approve of this comment.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I didn't even have to tag you.
  • rjsterry
    I suppose you could mount a seat on a roof rack but it's not really the same.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Especially the excitement of low hanging branches
    rjsterry said:

I suppose you could mount a seat on a roof rack but it's not really the same.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231

Surprised Sunak hasn’t announced a review of bus lanes to show he is on the side of the motorist.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213
    Ignoring all that petrolhead poncing above, what cheered me today was chatting with a young lad employed on event security, he's from Yorkshire, prob on min wage, shipped around the country to festivals, events, whatevs. Got talking about riding bikes, it is the UCI Worlds, told him about my roadie stuff, my gravel stuff. He asked me how old I was, turned out he thought I was ~20 years younger than I am.

See what exercise can do for you! Got him thinking about himself enjoying exercise and getting on a bike.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

I can spot ecobollox from a long way off.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

You might note that I didn't say those who didn't *really need* to use a car wouldn't be allowed to, but I seem to have touched a nerve anyway.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

You might note that I didn't say those who didn't *really need* to use a car wouldn't be allowed to, but I seem to have touched a nerve anyway.
    No nerves touched, just need to put you right every now and then. It's a public service I perform.

• briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

No nerves touched, just need to put you right every now and then. It's a public service I perform.

I must have missed you putting me right. Writing "ecobollox" is not a terribly persuasive argument.