Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,694
    Pross said:

The speed of my passport renewal application. Completed the application last Friday online. Had to return my old passport that I put in the postbox on Sunday. Text message yesterday to say the old passport had been received withanother shortly afterwards to say my application had been received and the new passport would be issued today. Passport arrived 8am this morning.

After all the horror stories of missed holidays due to delays last year I thought I’d better get the application in early. To top it all I now have a blue passport so feel much better about the ‘B’ word.

Good news. I've got to do mine next autumn, losing six months from its expiry date, as the 10-year anniversary of its issue falls then, and otherwise I'll fall foul of the new rules about amount of time left on the passport. Fvcking Brexit.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608
    There is a website online which tracks passport processing times. It's quite useful as the government just says allow 10 weeks.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    It really was ridiculously easy compared to the last time I renewed. My old one expired last October and I was putting off renewal to avoid wasted months. Had I realised how quick it was I could have left it even longer as I'm not going away until November. The worst bits now are getting the photo done (although even that is better now with an automatic check on compliance and a simple reference code that you enter in the online application, quite pricey though at £9) and posting the expired passport back which I don't see the point of doing. Mine would have been even quicker had I sent the old passport back 1st class.
  • TheBigBean
    You can take the photo yourself now. That part is really good too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

There is a website online which tracks passport processing times. It's quite useful as the government just says allow 10 weeks.

this post is vastly improved if you link the website.
  • Pross

Yep, was going to do that but wasn't sure if there was a risk the application would get rejected for some minor technical issue with the photo. I did download a supposedly free app but the reality was that once it would take the photo free they then made you pay to do anything useful with it.

The other good thing is that driving licence renewals can use the passport photo as well from memory (although I renewed by driving licence last year).
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Yep, was going to do that but wasn't sure if there was a risk the application would get rejected for some minor technical issue with the photo. I did download a supposedly free app but the reality was that once it would take the photo free they then made you pay to do anything useful with it.

The other good thing is that driving licence renewals can use the passport photo as well from memory (although I renewed by driving licence last year).
    Their software tests it. I just used a camera in front of a wall. I think if there was an issue they would just get you to take it again.
  • TheBigBean

this post is vastly improved if you link the website.
    Think this was it

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/latest-uk-passport-waiting-times/
  • In the process of getting Irish passports for me, my wife and kids. As they will be Irish passport holders, my lads kids will also be able to get Irish passports as well which I didn’t know.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    edited August 2023
    I had no idea how many people had Irish grandparents...

(Or, how rare it seems that I don't - but that's for the other thread)

Oh and to be fair I think even the mighty Ineos Grenadier would struggle if you drove it sideways into a ditch 😆
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

I had no idea how many people had Irish grandparents...

(Or, how rare it seems that I don't - but that's for the other thread)

Oh and to be fair I think even the mighty Ineos Grenadier would struggle if you drove it sideways into a ditch 😆

The Irish diaspora is absolutely huge especially in cities which had industries.

Both my parents are Irish.
  • briantrumpet

I did that for the last two, I think, but (IIRC) had them printed at the official size by someone online (Fotobox?). I assume the current system is digital, not (photo) paper.

I must admit I tried to get the least miserable expression I could get away with... I know you mustn't smile, but if I try to look neutral I look as miserable as an undertaker overacting the part.
  • TheBigBean
    You just give them a digital photo. They do all the cropping.

Also impressive is gov.uk ID app.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

This is the true Brexit benefit, with all the beta-testing that went in with EUSS
  • briantrumpet

It's good when institutions get up to date.

Contrast that with a charity that is paying part of one of my bills, and is posting a cheque, which I won't be able to pay in for over month. PITA. I literally can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, but it's several years ago now.
  • Football season starts this weekend and taking my boys to Leicester away. Their first local derby.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213

Contrast that with a charity that is paying part of one of my bills, and is posting a cheque, which I won't be able to pay in for over month. PITA. I literally can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, but it's several years ago now.
    Banking app. Scan it. Sorted.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

Banking app. Scan it. Sorted.

1. The cheque will be on my doormat in Devon. I'm in France.
    2. Nationwide still doesn't do that, even if I did get the cheque here.

It cheers me up that I won't starve in the meantime.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024
    edited August 2023
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    It's the walk that does it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    You're tempted, aren't you?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024
    Could have went in multiple threads, but really cheered up by today.

Up for an early 60 kms cycle on very quiet roads.
    Shower, shave and second breakfast.
    Watch the road race roll through.
    Jump on a bus to Glasgow watching the race on ES.
    Arrive in Glasgow full in the knowledge that the race has been delayed.
    Oh well, time for a pub lunch at the Pot Still. 😉
    Watch the race live taking photos at St, Vincent & St. George Street, and watch on ES.
    Cheers @thegreatdivide !
    Pit stop at the Pot. It would be rude to use the facilities without a purchase. 😉
    More watching.
    Last lap washed the last 4 go by outside the Pot, popped in for a dram & watch the end.
    Walked for the bus*.
    Got back to meet the wife for ribeye, frites and Valpolicella.

*Very tempted by the pub having a live blues festival. Could have been dangerous, and divorce. 😉
    PS - Is 753 photos too much? I think so. Going to take some time sorting that out.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    Haha, getting home on just two gears (slow and very slow) for the last 45km of a hilly ride. Thankfully I had only 400m of climbing left (and 850m of descent), and I managed to get it into a sensible gear for the climbing bit once I realised that the gear cable was going (inside the Shimano shifter - should have changed it earlier, as normal). Had it happened earlier in the ride, I've have missed a really cracking route up the Gorges de la Bourne, which is always a thrill.

• rjsterry

Every time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Every time.

Until the driver tries to take it under a bridge that’s too low!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    edited August 2023
    Does the line go up or down then though?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Does the link go up or down then though?

More to the point, I don't think it's zero on either the X or Y axis. So it's ideal for Cakestop.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2023
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Every time.

Until the driver tries to take it under a bridge that’s too low!
    Meh. Makes it interesting. And you'd probably twig before the driver. The low-hanging branches are good fun, too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite