Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,693

Finding out that on Monday I'll be doing the music for the graduation for the daughter of an old university friend whom I've not seen for just over forty years.

I thought of you at my son's graduation. There was a brass band playing at the beginning and the end. I must confess it was a bit surreal, they started with New York, New York followed by Come On Eileen then Sweet Caroline, the exiiwas done to the sounds of Mr Blue Sky.
    Not obvious choices, but performed by students and done rather well.

Nice. We do a mixture of stuff, some serious (e.g. Gabrieli), some familiar (film music), and some a bit silly (e.g. The Final Countdown) to try to get both the sense of ceremony but of fun too. They can be deadly dull, so if we can get them smiling, we've done our job. From people's reactions & comments, they really appreciate the live music played by students.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    (I might be seeing you soon BT...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

(I might be seeing you soon BT...)

Do come and say hello! I'll be one of the many people in my painting overalls... but if you're in the cathedral, you'll see where I'm stationed (by the pulpit).
  • briantrumpet
    The Mail On Sunday's front page spectacularly backfiring by drawing attention to a film claiming that B. Johnson's claim to have been near death's door with covid was another of his lies.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    People who go on Popmaster saying they average in the high 20s / 30s or regulalry get 39 then struggle to get in the teens (in today's case then not getting any of the tie-break questions right either).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,024
    edited July 2023
    On air pressure?
    Our son did well enough to get through to a final but said he underperformed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

On air pressure?
    Our son did well enough to get through to a final but said he underperformed.

Probably, I think I would play down my normal performance though. That said, without a really wide ranging musical knowledge it is going to be very variable anyway. I get anywhere from 3 to 33 (may have managed 33 once), it feels like some rounds are harder than others but I think that is mainly down to whether they are mainly in my era and genres.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The late father in law was a very good quizzer.
    Went on fifteen to one a good 20 years ago and was ejected totally anonymously.
    I think the combination of pressure and maybe the odd run of struggling spirals out of control.
  • briantrumpet
    edited July 2023
    Having finished the 24 graduations, and having made a good noise with brass and choir. The best noise is from 28.45 for 'I Was Glad' - all the performers, apart from the organist and conductors, are students.

https://www.youtube.com/live/KGzmwK9zIII?feature=share&t=1725

• ddraver
    You rocked that one last year too if I recall...
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

You rocked that one last year too if I recall...

Yes - it's a real highlight to pull that together in that space. The brass parts this year were from a better arrangement, so that was good too. I've got pretty much the same team next year, I think, but then it'll be a bit of a clear out, sadly, as many will move on post university...
  • briantrumpet
    Haha, there was also a rumour that a Just Stop Oil protester was going to do something after the afternoon ceremony, so they did the big photo inside the cathedral, to thwart them.
  • briantrumpet
    I must admit, it is a bit nerve racking that one's work is webcast live and archived for all and sundry to view... keeps one on one's toes.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited July 2023

Having finished the 24 graduations, and having made a good noise with brass and choir. The best noise is from 28.45 for 'I Was Glad' - all the performers, apart from the organist and conductors, are students.

https://www.youtube.com/live/KGzmwK9zIII?feature=share&t=1725

I was glad is a belter, for sure. I actually got into that choir when I was at Exeter but it clashed with another commitment sadly.
  • ddraver

I was glad is a belter, for sure. I actually got into that choir when I was at Exeter but it clashed with another commitment sadly.

Same for me with Cardiff Uni Chamber Choir. I didn't go because I played inter-department rugby instead and got (a little) led astray. Still wonder if there was a sliding doors moment there. (I don't think I'd have coped with the music skill to be honest, one of those moments where I appreciated the difference between amateur and "pro" musicians (or at least, genuine music students))
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    What happened to the trumpets at exactly 30 mins in?!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

What happened to the trumpets at exactly 30 mins in?!

Erm, they played what was written. Well, kind of... the arrangement for brass can be played without choir or organ, so they were only playing the bits that are scored for brass in the standard arrangement.
  • briantrumpet
    Finding some of the last lavender here that hasn't been harvested... it's been a fairly early year, and I'm a bit late. It's one of those rituals that marks the start of my summer séjour. Most of the other rituals involve coffee and patisseries.

• briantrumpet
    The other thing that cheered me up was getting here all on public transport for about £100 all in one day, by bike, bus, plane, train, train, and foot, and everything running to time.

The cheapness was mostly down to the Ouigo train getting me from Paris to Valence for £16. If you can plan TGV trips around the Ouigo TGVs (they release tickets much earlier than the regular SNCF ones), they are brilliant. Their app works well for checking out what's available, but you need to think about booking six months ahead.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,930

The other thing that cheered me up was getting here all on public transport for about £100 all in one day, by bike, bus, plane, train, train, and foot, and everything running to time.

The cheapness was mostly down to the Ouigo train getting me from Paris to Valence for £16. If you can plan TGV trips around the Ouigo TGVs (they release tickets much earlier than the regular SNCF ones), they are brilliant. Their app works well for checking out what's available, but you need to think about booking six months ahead.

And by the same token you casually dismiss UAP's visiting Earth.

Staggering!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    edited July 2023
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Truly fresh apricots, and a kitchen smelling of a lovely pair of melons. You want a picture? OK then...

• briantrumpet
    Ha, just had another big storm, and I discovered that the really big bucket (guess 80 litres) I'd put in the loft in June to catch the 'occasional' leak was actually overflowing... using a torch to investigate the bodge job round the chimney (corrugated composite roof), I saw a blockage in one of the gullies, poked that with the chimney cleaning rods, and the water flowed freely enough for me to spot a chunk of mortar in the middle of the gully, which had been catching moss etc. A bit of wiggling with the rods, and I got it just close enough to the edge of the sheets to extract it with my fingers. Hurrah. Now I want another big storm to see if it's completely done the trick.

Also pleased I'd put the big bucket in there while I've been away, or those 80 litres of water would have been in the kitchen, probably with half the ceiling.

Probably not trivial. Well, not in my little world anyway.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,213

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    This made me chuckle, this is probably one of the impatient fools that can't wait for a moment before passing a bicycle.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-surrey-66386259
  • Pross
    Not a good advert for its off-road ability either
  • Pross
    The speed of my passport renewal application. Completed the application last Friday online. Had to return my old passport that I put in the postbox on Sunday. Text message yesterday to say the old passport had been received withanother shortly afterwards to say my application had been received and the new passport would be issued today. Passport arrived 8am this morning.

After all the horror stories of missed holidays due to delays last year I thought I’d better get the application in early. To top it all I now have a blue passport so feel much better about the ‘B’ word.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross said:

Not a good advert for its off-road ability either

Almost like a high centre of gravity has its downsides.