Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,777

Stevo_666 said:

Always up for a game so just hit me up with an invite when you’re ready

Will do - the games I played on there tended to last more than 24 hours (seeing your suggestion to Pinno above), but if you don't mind that then game on.
    I think the 24hr format gives you a day to play a turn?
    Invite issued after a spot of faffing around. You should recognise me from the username. Think I made it a 24 hour format - fingers crossed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,701
    Phew. A neighbour to my French place has told me that the hail last night didn't reach the village or my Velux windows. A few miles away they weren't so lucky...

I think I shall be rigging up something when I'm there this summer, for when I'm not there or when hail is forecast when I am there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    Nets?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Nets?

I'm thinking rubber mats that I can attach somehow... something that won't kill my neighbours if, for some reason, they came off the roof. It would be bad form to kill one's neighbours, even if only by accident.

I'll go down to the DIY place and see what various materials they've got. Or I suppose a cheap camping mat would work... just something that would dissipate the energy a bit and prevent a sharp corner cracking the glass.
  • briantrumpet
    Changing the subject, a Y axis that starts at zero. Obviously the subject matter is an entirely random choice.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    edited July 2023

pinno said:

Nets?

I'm thinking rubber mats that I can attach somehow... something that won't kill my neighbours if, for some reason, they came off the roof. It would be bad form to kill one's neighbours, even if only by accident.

I'll go down to the DIY place and see what various materials they've got. Or I suppose a cheap camping mat would work... just something that would dissipate the energy a bit and prevent a sharp corner cracking the glass.
    Velux make external roller shutters that can be fitted to existing windows.

https://www.velux.co.uk/products/blinds-and-shutters/exterior-sunscreening/roller-shutters

They'd stop the glass being broken and keep things cooler.

A camping mat would barely last the summer in full sun and wouldn't slow down a hailstone that size. If you want to go DIY, a bit of WBP ply with a batten around the edge to stop it sliding off would work. You'd need some hooks or other means to secure it as wind suction would still be able to lift even quite a heavy cover.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Nets?

Velux make external roller shutters that can be fitted to existing windows.

https://www.velux.co.uk/products/blinds-and-shutters/exterior-sunscreening/roller-shutters

They'd stop the glass being broken and keep things cooler.

A camping mat would barely last the summer in full sun and wouldn't slow down a hailstone that size. If you want to go DIY, a bit of WBP ply with a batten around the edge to stop it sliding off would work. You'd need some hooks or other means to secure it as wind suction would still be able to lift even quite a heavy cover.
    Thanks RJS. Very helpful.
  • Stevo_666

Cheers - hard fought game. Up for another one sometime?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Stevo_666 said:

But most importantly, who won?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2023
    wavefront said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo. Fairly comfortably in the end.

I made a couple of errors in the early game and I was on backfoot and he never really let me back in the game after that.
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023

wavefront said:

Stevo_666 said:

I made a couple of errors in the early game and I was on backfoot and he never really let me back in the game after that.
    Wasn't easy though! Losing that pawn early on and getting your queen stuck over on one side of the board didn't help, but it went all the way to the end game.

Definitely helped me shake off a bit of the rust.

Now where's @pinno ?...
  • pinno
    edited July 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

wavefront said:

Stevo_666 said:

Wasn't easy though! Losing that pawn early on and getting your queen stuck over on one side of the board didn't help, but it went all the way to the end game.

Now where's @pinno ?...
    Yeah sure. 2 hours max.

What's your ID?

@Stevo_666

I'm Pinno718
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

wavefront said:

Stevo_666 said:

Now where's @pinno ?...
    Yeah sure. 2 hours max.

What's your ID?

@Stevo_666

I'm Pinno718
    Not a daily one? Will struggle to do a move every 2 hours when at work etc - could do a weekend though. (Assume that's a move every 2 hours and not the whole game in 2 hours?)

I'm SteveC417
  • pinno
    The whole game in 2hrs.
    I do not like this 1 move in 24hrs.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

The whole game in 2hrs.
    I do not like this 1 move in 24hrs.

I'll give it a shot - needs to be a weekend job though. Or maybe Friday as I'm off then. That alright for you?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    The wife couldn't find her work phone this morning. She'd looked all over the house, checked her car and pulled her (massive) laptop bag apart but couldn't find it. She knew it wasn't in the office as she could remember turning it off in the car before going home yesterday. After looking for over half an hour and starting to get stressed she asked me to have a check through her laptop bag which she and been through twice by then. First pocket I looked in had nothing, noticed a more hidden section within that pocket and there it was, I found it within about 10 seconds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,026
    edited July 2023
    Been through exactly the same while away from home. My wife phoned to ask where the stamps were. Searched multiple times and gave up. Found in less than 5 seconds exactly as per instructions. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    My OH frequently puts her phone down somewhere in the house and forgets where she left it, then says 'can you find my phone?'. I just ring her number and tell her to follow her ears :)
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Pross said:

The wife couldn't find her work phone this morning. She'd looked all over the house, checked her car and pulled her (massive) laptop bag apart but couldn't find it. She knew it wasn't in the office as she could remember turning it off in the car before going home yesterday. After looking for over half an hour and starting to get stressed she asked me to have a check through her laptop bag which she and been through twice by then. First pocket I looked in had nothing, noticed a more hidden section within that pocket and there it was, I found it within about 10 seconds.

We call it a ‘man look’ in our house, as it’s generally me who looks through drawers and cupboards for misplaced stuff and can never find it. My wife usually breezes in and finds the item immediately.

If the item isn’t exactly as I imagine it I’ll miss it. For example tape measures. If I look for one in our drawer I might miss it because my brain might be looking for the blue one, not the red one that is right in front of my eyes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    Pross said:

Great. If you can pop over, I have a list of missing stuff. 😀
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I used to have a very large set of keys while running a night shift.

Each time I stopped somewhere I’d put them down as the bunch was totally impractical.

Spent 25% of every night hunting for them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    wavefront said:

Pross said:

We call it a ‘man look’ in our house, as it’s generally me who looks through drawers and cupboards for misplaced stuff and can never find it. My wife usually breezes in and finds the item immediately.

If the item isn’t exactly as I imagine it I’ll miss it. For example tape measures. If I look for one in our drawer I might miss it because my brain might be looking for the blue one, not the red one that is right in front of my eyes.
    Yeah, it's usually me that struggles to find things but that is usually because it has been moved from where I knew I'd left it to 'somewhere safe'.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    Having missed, for 1st time evah, a credit card due date payment I was expecting a significant interest plus penalty fee hit to appear on the new statement produced today.

Nada, nowt, zilch. Odd. Are this financial body being friendly, given I've had accounts multiple and various with them for several decades? Unlikely with them being wbankers.

Ah. Then I remembered I'd used the credit card for a 4 digit, file a deposit transaction with a supplier for next phase of The Project, with the funds immediately paid over from another account elsewhere.

I got away with it. This time.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I have missed my Amex payment a few times over the last 10y. Just ring them and kick up a stink and they waive it.
  • pinno
    edited July 2023
    orraloon said:

Having missed, for 1st time evah, a credit card due date payment I was expecting a significant interest plus penalty fee hit to appear on the new statement produced today.

Nada, nowt, zilch. Odd. Are this financial body being friendly, given I've had accounts multiple and various with them for several decades? Unlikely with them being wbankers.

Ah. Then I remembered I'd used the credit card for a 4 digit, file a deposit transaction with a supplier for next phase of The Project, with the funds immediately paid over from another account elsewhere.

I got away with it. This time.

Aren't they due at the end of the month anyway?
  • briantrumpet
    Finding out that on Monday I'll be doing the music for the graduation for the daughter of an old university friend whom I've not seen for just over forty years.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

Finding out that on Monday I'll be doing the music for the graduation for the daughter of an old university friend whom I've not seen for just over forty years.

I thought of you at my son's graduation. There was a brass band playing at the beginning and the end. I must confess it was a bit surreal, they started with New York, New York followed by Come On Eileen then Sweet Caroline, the exiiwas done to the sounds of Mr Blue Sky.
    Not obvious choices, but performed by students and done rather well.