Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Always up for a game so just hit me up with an invite when you’re ready

Will do - the games I played on there tended to last more than 24 hours (seeing your suggestion to Pinno above), but if you don't mind that then game on.
    I think the 24hr format gives you a day to play a turn?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776

Stevo_666 said:

Always up for a game so just hit me up with an invite when you’re ready

Will do - the games I played on there tended to last more than 24 hours (seeing your suggestion to Pinno above), but if you don't mind that then game on.
    I think the 24hr format gives you a day to play a turn?
    Ah, yes I remember now. Thought you meant a whole game in 24 hrs. Even I can manage a move a day...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,699
    Aha, these are the vultures that have re-established themselves and are a common sight in my French neck of the woods. Hadn't appreciated just how huuuuge they are.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Aha, these are the vultures that have re-established themselves and are a common sight in my French neck of the woods. Hadn't appreciated just how huuuuge they are.

The best bit is the bird itself is saying ‘look how huuuuge I am’!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    It is 'huuu (1,2,3...4) uge'.
    Huge is a European Eagle owl too.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    Getting the m'bike through its MOT with some maintenance from me...

Perfunctory spannering at best, but by my standards it's a huge success
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    The amount of butterflies around and the moment. I’ve seen hundreds walking the dogs on a local lane today and at one point had a cloud of about 10-15 fluttering around me. A good range of varieties too. I assume it is related to the amount of wild flowers there were in the fields around there this year.
  • Pross
    The way a little bit of Branson Pickle radically improves a standard cheese sandwich.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

The amount of butterflies around and the moment. I’ve seen hundreds walking the dogs on a local lane today and at one point had a cloud of about 10-15 fluttering around me. A good range of varieties too. I assume it is related to the amount of wild flowers there were in the fields around there this year.

Excellent.
    Very short of Bees so far this year locally.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Excellent.
    This past week I've rescued 3 bumblebees so far from drowning in the mini water buckets by the greenhouse. Do not enter the water if you cannot swim. Plus one from the loft while cleaning out debris post the roof work. How did it get in with a new properly sealed roof? How long had it been there?
  • morstar
    Pross said:

What type of dogs do the butterflies walk?
  • pinno
    A human would resign but no; the (dog) bot carried on to the death:

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Excellent.
    Was quiet earlier but have had a resurgence of late. Garden is awash with sweet peas, roses and lavender at the moment so I guess that is helping
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Having a day of meh weather when I need to do some admin on a day off rather than going on a bike ride. It also cheers me up mail-merging a pile of invoices from a Google Sheet.
  • pinno
    Shower gel; it really annoys me. Especially since half of it slides off your hand and down the plug hole.
    Initially one would think that this is the wrong thread but what cheered me up is the cure.
    Yes; a cure. I'm not known for such genius.
    Rub yourself all over with the shower gel before you get under the shower and before your hands are wet. Rince. Ta da!
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Shower gel; it really annoys me. Especially since half of it slides off your hand and down the plug hole.
    Initially one would think that this is the wrong thread but what cheered me up is the cure.
    Yes; a cure. I'm not known for such genius.
    Rub yourself all over with the shower gel before you get under the shower and before your hands are wet. Rince. Ta da!

Or similar, use one of those scrubby things, then one generous squirt comfortably does the whole job. Mind you, I'm a bar of soap man myself. Though it does annoy me that a bar of shampoo is about three times as expensive as a bar of soap.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 673
    We've got a budget Waitrose* shower gel which has the remarkable ability to slither off the scrubby thing if you're not careful.

*I thought oxymoron as I typed that.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 673
    I'm a bit wary of the coat yourself in shower gel whilst dry technique. Came a cropper with that more than once when working in Sudan years ago. Power cuts meant the water supply would suddenly disappear without warning, and with the temperature in the low 40s a liberal coat of shower gel would crisp up in minutes
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Some gels work with a much smaller volume and so are much more viscous and so don't slide off.
  • morstar

Some gels work with a much smaller volume and so are much more viscous and so don't slide off.

That’s Vaseline you’re thinking of.
  • ddraver
    Bars of soap FTW

Financially and environmentally too
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    edited July 2023
    I tend to use bars but Mrs Pinno buys the Dove cream shower stuff and I do like it. It makes me smeel mainly.
    You can get shampoo bars?!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yes you can get shampoo bars.

My main issue with bars of soap is they leave my skin feeling dry (except Dove).
  • ddraver
    Weirdly, the best place I've found for manly soap bars is TK Maxx. They regularly seem to have a few italian (?!!) bars in with manly scents and given that they're italian, they must be good...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Biggest problem with soap is hair from all parts of the body sticking to it!
  • morstar
    Early ride this morning against a backdrop of steadily increasing my volume of training over a long period of time.

Enjoyed the ride but felt surprisingly flat.

Looked at the COROS app and it tells me I’m exhausted. I was quite surprised but find it fascinating how the software quantified what I felt.

I’m generally pretty good at mapping out my training but clearly a bit of overreach at the weekend. May pay those stats a bit more attention (until they tell me something I don’t like).
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

Early ride this morning against a backdrop of steadily increasing my volume of training over a long period of time.

Looked at the COROS app and it tells me I’m exhausted. I was quite surprised but find it fascinating how the software quantified what I felt.

I’m generally pretty good at mapping out my training but clearly a bit of overreach at the weekend. May pay those stats a bit more attention (until they tell me something I don’t like).

If I did stats, they'd tell me that I'm getting older, so I don't do stats.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,508

morstar said:

When those stats tell you you're not getting older you may have a problem
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • morstar

morstar said:

They’ve always interested me but only after the event. I’ve never used them to plan stuff. I plan in different types of activities and rest on a loosely structured basis and just like occasional confirmation from the numbers it’s going the right way.

It cheered me up there was a reason I struggled a bit but I was quite surprised to see it in such black and white terms.

My stats on an absolute scale don’t bear thinking about.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Watching my 3yr old grandson eat lemon cheesecake. It's marvellous, I could sell tickets.

The older I get, the better I was.