Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215

Flat peaches in the office fruit bowl today.

Thanks for the pointer RC and others. Found some along with nectarines in local supermarket couple days ago, good prices as well, left to ripen in a bowl with bananas next, ready to taste today. Nom nom. 👍
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

I remember seeing Lou Reed in 1989 and he basically played the whole New York album, then a load of old stuff. That probably worked mainly because it was such a good album.

Saw him play Brixton Academy, could have been then or a little earlier perhaps. Great gig though.
    That would have been 1984. New York tour came to hammersmith in 1989.

I remember he was a right miserable censored haha.
    That would make sense, I was 15 or 16 now I think about it. I was told he was incredibly miserable, but he was quite upbeat and chatty at the gig, this may have been because it was the first English gig after touring Europe, or just pot luck of course.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,118
    orraloon said:

Flat peaches in the office fruit bowl today.

Thanks for the pointer RC and others. Found some along with nectarines in local supermarket couple days ago, good prices as well, left to ripen in a bowl with bananas next, ready to taste today. Nom nom. 👍
    You mean you didn't grow them in your greenhouse?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    orraloon said:

Just counted back, been to Springsteen gigs 6 times. They've all been mega experiences. That man is A1.

When he played in the hague when I was there I went and stood outside at the back (I didnt know I'd be there), he was still awesome to watch...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826

I remember seeing Lou Reed in 1989 and he basically played the whole New York album, then a load of old stuff. That probably worked mainly because it was such a good album.

Saw him play Brixton Academy, could have been then or a little earlier perhaps. Great gig though.

That would make sense, I was 15 or 16 now I think about it. I was told he was incredibly miserable, but he was quite upbeat and chatty at the gig, this may have been because it was the first English gig after touring Europe, or just pot luck of course.
    https://youtu.be/yOoXjYppyMM

Whole concert from that tour, he seems relaxed and on form. And a great setlist.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The train before mine home was delayed the perfect amount
    that it set off moments after I sauntered on what I thought was my usual train.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,701

Whole concert from that tour, he seems relaxed and on form. And a great setlist.

It's one of the things I find so fascinating about music & taste... I can't get past his only-partially-singing style (in the same way I can't like Bob Dylan), but obviously it hits the spot for others.
  • pinno

It's one of the things I find so fascinating about music & taste... I can't get past his only-partially-singing style (in the same way I can't like Bob Dylan), but obviously it hits the spot for others.
    That's why their voices go on for years.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,483
    edited June 2023
    The array of vehicles that delivered the kids to my sons "Prom" last night. There was a fantastic variety from Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches to a Mk 1 Land Rover, a Hillman Imp (My sons ride), a Mini moke, a race buggy and a horse with various Range Rovers, Beemers etc in between.

• briantrumpet
    People raising lots of money for worthy causes.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,774
    Tashman said:

The array of vehicles that delivered the kids to my sons "Prom" last night. There was a fantastic variety from Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches to a Mk 1 Land Rover, a Hillman Imp (My sons ride), a Mini moke, a race buggy and a horse with various Range Rovers, Beemers etc in between.

I took my neighbours daughter and her pals last weekend in my old vw bus. It was like a car show there … great fun for them all.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pinno

Tashman said:

I took my neighbours daughter and her pals last weekend in my old vw bus. It was like a car show there … great fun for them all.
    Ooh pics of the VW bus please?
  • pinno

• pinno
    It's me!

• pinno
    This I can't work out. Definitely me but on a different day:

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,215
    The AI bots have got ye!
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    pinno said:

I’m up for a 24hr game if you want. Same name on chess.com

Check out that losing streak
  • pinno

On a scale of 1-20, how do you rate yourself?
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2023
    My ELO is about 900

I’m mildly below average intermediate

Edit: if 20 is grandmaster and 1 is never played I’m 8 or 9.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    pinno said:

It's me!

My own claim to fame. 10 seconds later the smaller dog was having a dump which would have been embarrassing!

• briantrumpet
    Haha, Brenda doesn't learn (but then stupids rarely do). People are donating £1, leaving critical comments, and then getting their £1 refunded. So far he's raised £121 from 58 'supporters'.

• carbonclem
    pinno said:

Tashman said:

Ooh pics of the VW bus please?

• pinno
    ^ gorgeous. I'm green with envy.
    That is better than my '74 Devon conversion bay.
  • carbonclem
    pinno said:

Thank you. I had a 'UK' bay window for many years and after I'd welded it back together a couple of times I bought a solid US import and never looked back! We have had a lot of great trips in it. Had it 16 years now.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Thank you. I had a 'UK' bay window for many years and after I'd welded it back together a couple of times I bought a solid US import and never looked back! We have had a lot of great trips in it. Had it 16 years now.
    Funny that. After buying 2 ABS pumps for my 944 resto., (you only need to extract the valves and you won't know what state they are in until you dismantle them), I went state side from Ebay US. The one I got looked like new and even came with the rubber bobbins and the mounting plate, all in A1 condition.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,776
    edited July 2023

pinno said:

I’m up for a 24hr game if you want. Same name on chess.com

Check out that losing streak
    I'll give you (and/or Pinno) a game sometime - probably best next week when I have a bit more time on my hands. Used to be quite handy but am a tad rusty now. Went on Chess.com about 18 months back as a bloke from work challenged me so I have a handle on there.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Always up for a game so just hit me up with an invite when you’re ready
  • Stevo_666

Always up for a game so just hit me up with an invite when you’re ready

Will do - the games I played on there tended to last more than 24 hours (seeing your suggestion to Pinno above), but if you don't mind that then game on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

On a scale of 1-20, how do you rate yourself?
    Same offer to you Mr. P. I reckon I'm about a 10 with a bit of practice.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151
    The halfwit conspiracy theories about Farage being dumped by Coutts coz he was too poor.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition