Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Kids nursery just been ordered to close indefinitely following ofsted inspection yesterday.

Your wife kicking around with now't to do during school hours, right, RC

Hardly trivial for you, good luck with getting something sorted
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Oof that is a proper covid lockdown flashback... good luck getting something sorted
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-67080439

Just confirms my belief that people really are selfish, myopic ar$eholes.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    edited October 2023

Kids nursery just been ordered to close indefinitely following ofsted inspection yesterday.

Your wife kicking around with now't to do during school hours, right, RC

With immediate effect? That sounds bad enough, but I would also be worried about what Ofsted has found.

My guess would be a serious safeguarding issue without an easy/quick fix. Either staff training/vetting, safeguarding structure, or insecure/dangerous site conditions.
  • Immediate effect. The letter from the nursery says "risk assessments and unnecessary risk exposure" and "hygiene practices".

Looks like they were raised at the last inspection and nothing / not enough was done about it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Which nursery was it? #nosey
  • briantrumpet

Immediate effect. The letter from the nursery says "risk assessments and unnecessary risk exposure" and "hygiene practices".

Looks like they were raised at the last inspection and nothing / not enough was done about it.

Oops. Not surprised that Ofsted were annoyed by that enough to say enough's enough.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,654
    Why does everything need to be a 'trauma'?

Reading up on stealth dyslexia, which is basically a term for undiagnosed (or late-in-life diagnosed) dyslexics, usually because they're bright enough to overcome the usual pitfalls so go unnoticed.

All fine, it's a relatively new term, is what happened to be, blah blah.

Only every other article has something like this in it: "One of the reasons that testing, diagnosis, and treatment is so important is that having dyslexia or any other learning disability is traumatic."

Well, it wasn't remotely traumatic for me. Nor, I suspect a bunch of other people. Not taking away from those who find it sh!t, but is trauma really the right word? No, no it's not.
  • briantrumpet
    Eh? A "one-off charge per year" isn't a one-off charge. That's like saying that the cycle club membership fee (paid once a year) is a "one-off charge". And in any case, what's the point of the 'free market' if the consumers are having to pay an insurance premium for a failing business.

This just seems to be an admission that the whole system is completely screwed, and the customers are being held to ransom.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    As much as I disagree with the principle I doubt I’d notice £17/year on my standing charges.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    I would see this as the price of the price cap.
  • briantrumpet

I would see this as the price of the price cap.

I'd see it as the price of a regulator that bows to the demands of the businesses it's supposed to regulate, and of an incompetent government that has lost the plot.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    We already shell out the thick end of £200 p.a. on 'standing charge' as in use zero and still give us... For what? To help bail out the consequences of multiple failed suppliers in this 'privatised' = gimme gimme gimme post Thatcher world?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    LED lightbulbs promising 10's of thousands of hours life only to fail after a few years. And yes, I am a dullard that writes the date on the base of the lamp when I install it.
    Does the higher cost of the lamps return savings on compact flourecents that lasted infinitely longer?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920

LED lightbulbs promising 10's of thousands of hours life only to fail after a few years. And yes, I am a dullard that writes the date on the base of the lamp when I install it.
    Does the higher cost of the lamps return savings on compact flourecents that lasted infinitely longer?

It seems to be the electronics that go, capacitors, resistors...the power conversion for the LEDs (AC to DC and voltage). The actual LEDs last a long time. It does seem such a shame and waste considering the amount around now.
  • LED lightbulbs promising 10's of thousands of hours life only to fail after a few years. And yes, I am a dullard that writes the date on the base of the lamp when I install it.

I had too many put in 7 years ago and not one has gone
  • Talking of electricity, I just got a mart meter and it is telling me my base load (everything switched off) is 3p per hour.

I can do the sums but is this good, bad or indifferent?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535

Talking of electricity, I just got a mart meter and it is telling me my base load (everything switched off) is 3p per hour.

Is that the standing charge?
  • focuszing723

Talking of electricity, I just got a mart meter and it is telling me my base load (everything switched off) is 3p per hour.

What's that in W/KWH?
  • Talking of electricity, I just got a mart meter and it is telling me my base load (everything switched off) is 3p per hour.

no, stuff just ticking over in the background

What's that in W/KWH?
    It is bouncing around with stuff going on and off (fridge) but it is 70-120W (1-3p an hour)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535

no, stuff just ticking over in the background
    I assumed you turned it all off at the fusebox.
  • focuszing723

What's that in W/KWH?
    It is bouncing around with stuff going on and off (fridge) but it is 70-120W (1-3p an hour)
    Yeah, the freezer can use a fair amount and the router is on 24/7 consuming around 10w.

LEDs are fantastic and flat panel Led/Oled TVs. A smart meter is a bit of an eye opener. I mean a lot of it is obvious but it just makes you aware of it akin to weighing yourself.

I remember hearing during COVID that there was a large demand for chest freezers. If people have them with not much in that's quite a power output especially in the summer months.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092

What's that in W/KWH?
    A fridge will be quite a bit higher than that, so more likely to be an accumulation of various things on standby and maybe a router or two.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Have you checked that the fridge light is turning off when you shut the door?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669

How neat was the install? Did they make a mess or a decent job?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

How neat was the install? Did they make a mess or a decent job?
    Very neat, would not have know he had been. Took about 30 mins for both.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    People that cc the boss when they think they're point scoring, then stop the cc'ing when they realise they were wrong. Obviously I copied their boss back in with my response.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    People who follow you a little too close in their car until there's room to overtake, then pass you with about a foot of room, still pulling out, finally going completely into the other lane but not until they're a couple of car lengths ahead.

They probably think they're giving loads of space.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono