Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

You're not flicking through 100-200 videos an hour in landscape. You could well be in portrait.

If I've not found something worth watching within 10 or 15 videos then I find something more interesting to do instead.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    You guys can complain all you want, the reality is that is how lots of people consume content so it makes commercial sense to produce it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    pblakeney said:

You're not flicking through 100-200 videos an hour in landscape. You could well be in portrait.

If I've not found something worth watching within 10 or 15 videos then I find something more interesting to do instead.
    Tell me you don’t understand TikTok without telling me you don’t understand.

Over half the videos are sub 30 seconds. They’re tiny clips, jokes, whatever
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,920
    pblakeney said:

Yep, Blakeney is right on this. It's as pointless as endless meme's, YouTube or longer videos I get.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

pblakeney said:

So not really a great way to be watching sport?
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

A great way to get people to see the exciting stuff in your sport who otherwise wouldn’t see it
  • Pross

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

A great way to get people to see the exciting stuff in your sport who otherwise wouldn’t see it
    I'm struggling what you would actually see for cricket though, the ball is a tiny dot at the best of times. It's going to be difficult to capture a diving catch in the slips at a viewable size when filming in portrait. I find it weird when people use a technology designed for one thing to do something else less well than previous tech managed (see also using Twitter for massive threads).
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Yeahbut, I am not a teenager.
    I get what Tik Tok is about, and it is not sport.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Yeahbut, I am not a teenager.
    Course it is. I see more clips from cricket on there than pretty much anywhere else. In fact, I doubt I'd see any otherwise.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    If you really want a laugh, check out the official paralympics TikTok account (and before you ask, yes they are in on the joke).

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

I'm struggling what you would actually see for cricket though, the ball is a tiny dot at the best of times. It's going to be difficult to capture a diving catch in the slips at a viewable size when filming in portrait. I find it weird when people use a technology designed for one thing to do something else less well than previous tech managed (see also using Twitter for massive threads).
    Clips of cricket work well as the focus is on the wicket, which when filmed from behind the bowlers arm fills a portrait frame well. It's not showing live action and is very well clipped to show the pertinent action.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    pblakeney said:

Ummmmm....

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    My favourite criticism is when people complain about what the TikTok algorithm shows them, and it's all scantily clad young women and conspiracy theories.

Guys, the algorithm is ruthless; it very quickly susses out what you like and don't like. You have a huge input into what it shows you.

Mine is mainly humour that only the most chronically online get, cycling, F1, other generic ball sports and the occasional fashion/watch/where's hot to eat out.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2023

pblakeney said:

Ummmmm....

I'm guessing there is an assumption that I use Tik Tok? For clarification, I don't.
    My only exposure is grand children etc. I doubt I'm the target audience.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

My favourite criticism is when people complain about what the TikTok algorithm shows them, and it's all scantily clad young women and conspiracy theories.

Guys, the algorithm is ruthless; it very quickly susses out what you like and don't like. You have a huge input into what it shows you.

Mine is mainly humour that only the most chronically online get, cycling, F1, other generic ball sports and the occasional fashion/watch/where's hot to eat out.

Algorithm obviously isn't that good then (yes, I chose to ignore the next few words).
  • Pross
    Tashman said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Clips of cricket work well as the focus is on the wicket, which when filmed from behind the bowlers arm fills a portrait frame well. It's not showing live action and is very well clipped to show the pertinent action.
    How does it manage with a massive 6 to square leg?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

And scantily clad young women.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    My TikTok started out with unpresidented relentless clips of the most disgusting pimple popping, puss oozing panoply. Thank God it has been replaced with clips of scantily clad young ladies, though I've no idea how that happened?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    Back in the actual world, not those ones on your phones, building control being micro detailed on the info I need to provide to get a building warrant approval for a v simple change of an existing window space to a proper usable door and the existing tiny door space to a window. Means only a minor change to how the front facade looks. No neighbours will or do give a bleep.

Another admin day beckons.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Don't get me started on Vertical video orientation!!!!

Argh, indeed, and even Youtube defaults for that for uploading short videos.
    Who scrolls through videos in panoramic?!

Not me, nor in portrait.

I'm looking forward to portrait TVs, to match Tiktok & mobile phone format.
    Apparently there are specific film crews/equipment to cater for "portrait viewing" during the cricket world cup currently in progress as millions are expected to watch in this way.
    Makes sense

Good for 6's, anyway.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2023
    Kids nursery just been ordered to close indefinitely following ofsted inspection yesterday.

Your wife kicking around with now't to do during school hours, right, RC
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I was going to write this earlier in the landscape/portrait stuff but thought it couldn't be right, but have now confirmed.
    BBC news app on my phone when showing a video shot in portrait in full screen mode puts a band across the screen with the video in the middle of it. Change to landscape and the band gets bigger so the portrait video is bigger when viewed in landscape.
    Makes no sense at all.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Oh, another very trivial annoyance. So trivial fixing it would be quicker than writing this post.
    Strava notifications about being a 'local legend'. There is nothing legendary about riding the same boring commute day in and day out. Telling me I've lost the status because I'm working from home or on holiday is meaningless, telling me I've gained it reminds me how predictable my life is.
    Going to turn off the notification now.
  • rick_chasey

Kids nursery just been ordered to close indefinitely following ofsted inspection yesterday.

That’s a f@cking disaster.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,535

With immediate effect? That sounds bad enough, but I would also be worried about what Ofsted has found.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

With immediate effect? That sounds bad enough, but I would also be worried about what Ofsted has found.
    Raac?