Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2023

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/oct/08/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-fin-boys-cambridge-inventive-cookery-and-seriously-good-ingredients?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Review of a restaurant down the road.

All very good. That’s not the beef. The beef is with this;

Good seafood should never be cheap.

Can’t stand this attitude.
    I've been there a few times. The tasting menu is amazing.

Reassuringly expensive ;)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Whilst I’m in a grumpy mood; queuing at the cigarette counter to pick up an order. The state of the people queueing to buy them, Christ alive.

I guess they are a similar state to folk usually stood outside a pub smoking.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    edited October 2023
    Bloody sandwich buyers clogging up the queue for the fag counter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    Agreed.
  • rick_chasey
    Email etiquette.

If someone sends you something you're expecting/waiting for, especially if it's an attachment, it is good etiquette to respond to let the sender know you received it.

Annoying if you don't.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

Email etiquette.

If someone sends you something you're expecting/waiting for, especially if it's an attachment, it is good etiquette to respond to let the sender know you received it.

Annoying if you don't.

I was annoyed/perplexed last week when someone I'm frequently booked by mentioned a concert she thought she'd booked me for, and I immediately knew I'd got a different Messiah in my diary. She looked up the email exchange straight away, and in reply to her initial enquiry I'd asked if it would be possible for me to turn up late for the rehearsal. Unusually for her, she didn't reply to confirm that'd be OK (despite it being fine), so it didn't make it into my diary as a definite booking. All it would have taken would have been a "That's fine, thanks." But she's one who goes through the whole "Dear xxxx, [...] Kind regards" rigmarole for every email, so maybe there's a tiny disincentive for a pithy "OK"-type of reply.

Fortunately all's turned out OK for them, and I was happy that my own system hadn't let me down.
  • Emails that say ‘See below’. With a long string of stuff, relevant and not, being batted about by various people before they decide I am the person to resolve the issue.

Just a quick summary of what I can help with is all that is needed without spending half an hour trying to pick out what is required. I have learned to send it back and request a short summary.

Even then, someone last week said ‘see highlighted’, and pretty much highlighted everything in bright yellow.

That is bordering on the non-trivial annoying.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    Staying with #1 daughter and partner in their new (4 years old) house bought a few monthsback. Been doing some pottering about inside and out, and starting to think this was put together by apprentices? Or one of those knock off early it's Friday jobs?

Garage guttering not spaced properly so joints leaking; one bracket just hanging on the gutter, never fixed to the wall; downpipe on the house, loose bracket never been screwed into the rawlplugs visible; and on... All trivial things. But annoyingly lazy workmanship.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    orraloon said:

Staying with #1 daughter and partner in their new (4 years old) house bought a few monthsback. Been doing some pottering about inside and out, and starting to think this was put together by apprentices? Or one of those knock off early it's Friday jobs?

Garage guttering not spaced properly so joints leaking; one bracket just hanging on the gutter, never fixed to the wall; downpipe on the house, loose bracket never been screwed into the rawlplugs visible; and on... All trivial things. But annoyingly lazy workmanship.

You'll enjoy this guys vids orraloon

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vQ90gZnf30c
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Nothing new there, stretch the guttering to the max by having minimal overlap saves money once you add it all up. The old dear's roof needs replacing as the original build about 60 years ago didn't have sufficient overlap between tiles. Now the felt is rotting the roof leaks.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092

Nothing new there, stretch the guttering to the max by having minimal overlap saves money once you add it all up. The old dear's roof needs replacing as the original build about 60 years ago didn't have sufficient overlap between tiles. Now the felt is rotting the roof leaks.

Had the same on a Victorian roof: all three sides done in half slates. No idea how water wasn't pouring through it.

Have also seen Georgian brickwork where the headers were all half bricks and the back of the wall was all commons. Whole front facade was starting to unpeel.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    The portrayal of Photographers doing ANYTHING in films/dramas/tv etc. They couldn't be more cack-handed if they tried. Bloody annoying!!!!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

The portrayal of Photographers doing ANYTHING in films/dramas/tv etc. They couldn't be more cack-handed if they tried. Bloody annoying!!!!

Meh, half the photographers with YouTube channels don’t hold a camera properly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    Don't get me started on Vertical video orientation!!!!

• briantrumpet

Argh, indeed, and even Youtube defaults for that for uploading short videos.
  • rick_chasey

Who scrolls through videos in panoramic?!
  • briantrumpet

Not me, nor in portrait.

I'm looking forward to portrait TVs, to match Tiktok & mobile phone format.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Not me, nor in portrait.

They do exist in revolving form. Probably just for this very reason.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Google telling you that opting into targeted advertising on chrome is somehow a privacy feature.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

Not me, nor in portrait.

Apparently there are specific film crews/equipment to cater for "portrait viewing" during the cricket world cup currently in progress as millions are expected to watch in this way.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey

Not me, nor in portrait.

Apparently there are specific film crews/equipment to cater for "portrait viewing" during the cricket world cup currently in progress as millions are expected to watch in this way.
    Makes sense
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Scott's website and spec inconsistencies, where the Addict 20 "blue" is really matt gray to green (as in the pictures), while the Addict 30 with a 105 crank really has the Praxis one written in the specs. What's the reliable bit, folks? The pics or the text? Make up your mind...
  • photonic69

Not me, nor in portrait.

Why? Cricket pitches are definately Landscape and the ball travels distances quite quickly. Yeah, it goes up a bit but mostly horizontal. I can see the camera men getting quite a lot of green/sky with no ball in it whatsoever.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

Not me, nor in portrait.

Why? Cricket pitches are definately Landscape and the ball travels distances quite quickly. Yeah, it goes up a bit but mostly horizontal. I can see the camera men getting quite a lot of green/sky with no ball in it whatsoever.
    Seems strange to me too!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey

Not me, nor in portrait.

Because a lot of people will consume it through various clips when flicking through their phone.

No-one hold their phone landscape to do so.

If you've ever watched landscape videos on portrait apps like tiktok you often don't see the ball/person speaking etc.

So it makes sense to have some teams focused on providing content for that channel?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668

on portrait apps like tiktok you often don't see the ball/person speaking etc

Talking balls on tiktok? Surely not!

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    edited October 2023

Not me, nor in portrait.

Because a lot of people will consume it through various clips when flicking through their phone.

No-one hold their phone landscape to do so.

If you've ever watched landscape videos on portrait apps like tiktok you often don't see the ball/person speaking etc.

So it makes sense to have some teams focused on providing content for that channel?
    It's going to be very hard for a cameraman to track the ball in the space needed to show it in portrait though. I really don't see what is so hard to hold your phone in landscape, I do it all the time when watching stuff on my phone. Maybe the format isn't suitable for watching sport.
  • rick_chasey
    You're not flicking through 100-200 videos an hour in landscape. You could well be in portrait.
  • photonic69

You're not flicking through 100-200 videos an hour in landscape. You could well be in portrait.

If you are doing that then you have too much time on your hands.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    I would suggest anyone doing that isn't really paying much attention to the sport. You like F1 and cycling, I can't imagine either being watchable in portrait format. In something like cricket the camera would have to zoom in so tight to make the action visible that you'd get no context. The same with the likes of football or rugby, even on a widescreen TV they have to zoom in to get close up action then zoom out to get the overall picture. There's a reason TV formats have moved frm 4:3 to 16:9 in the last 20 odd years.

It feels like deciding you prefer using a screwdriver to a hammer so expecting nail manufacturers to design nails that can be inserted using a screwdriver.