Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    pinno said:

Tashman said:

There's a vineyard near us offering an experience for grape picking. It'll cost you just £50 for the day. Shouldn't that be the other way around with lunch thrown in? Especially when you're charging £28 per bottle for your stuff

Why when you can get paid for it in the south of France?

Sadly not allowed to do paid work in France now without a work permit.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,698

pinno said:

Tashman said:

There's a vineyard near us offering an experience for grape picking. It'll cost you just £50 for the day. Shouldn't that be the other way around with lunch thrown in? Especially when you're charging £28 per bottle for your stuff

The French anti busking police are everywhere.
  • pinno said:

Tashman said:

a Brexit benefit for owners of UK vineyards
  • First.Aspect

pinno said:

Tashman said:

I bet they'd let you pick fruit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

pinno said:

Tashman said:

You could do it for free and be £50 up. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Not trivial but a couple of times in the last week or so I've been passed by a car whilst walking the dogs up a narrow country lane which has left a strong smell of weed in its wake (I think it was the same car of both occasions). Only the driver in the car so presumably stoned in the middle of the day driving on a single track lane that gets used as a bit of a rat run. I also passed a group of builders with their cars parked up in one of the passing places enjoying a joint before, presumably, heading back to work.

Is this sort of thing common everywhere or is it particularly bad in my neck of the woods?
  • pblakeney
    Become more and more noticeable over the past 5 years. Never smelt it in public prior.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    Yeah, the first time I really noticed it was on a walk on that final weekend of freedom before the first lockdown. I also probably smelled it at a few gigs I went to in the 80s bit was too naive to realise what it was.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Become more and more noticeable over the past 5 years. Never smelt it in public prior.

Has always been there, just smellier now.

Police policy is basically just take it off a 17 year old or younger, with a jolly good talking to. Or give a recordable cannabis earning or penalty notice to anyone else.

I strongly suspect that the hassle of the paperwork for anyone who is only smoking (as opposed to someone suspected of smoking pot whilst being black, for example) is enough for police to largely turn a blind eye.

So the risk of any actual consequences as so low as to now be a deterrent to a calming spliff over lunch.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Has always been there, just smellier now.
    That could explain it if true. I have a few regular cycle routes where I can pinpoint the houses where it comes from. Some passing cars too. Never noticed it before @ 2018.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

pinno said:

Tashman said:

Maybe, though from limited past experience (pre Brexit), employers fill in paperwork that includes payee details and you get to sign it to receive payment. You risk being barred from entering France as a visitor if you are found to have worked for payment without a permit.

I suspect the way round it would be to say you'll do it for food, travel & lodging, so not receive any actual cash payment, and get the host to settle the bills directly.
  • First.Aspect

pinno said:

Tashman said:

Maybe, though from limited past experience (pre Brexit), employers fill in paperwork that includes payee details and you get to sign it to receive payment. You risk being barred from entering France as a visitor if you are found to have worked for payment without a permit.

I suspect the way round it would be to say you'll do it for food, travel & lodging, so not receive any actual cash payment, and get the host to settle the bills directly.
    There you go. You can be paid in baguettes.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

pinno said:

Tashman said:

Maybe, though from limited past experience (pre Brexit), employers fill in paperwork that includes...
    Up to this point I was thinking they were very liberal employers that permitted smoking weed 😂
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    edited October 2023
    Pross said:

I also passed a group of builders with their cars parked up in one of the passing places enjoying a joint before, presumably, heading back to work.

Is this sort of thing common everywhere or is it particularly bad in my neck of the woods?

Some of the cr@p our builder tried to get away with made me think he must be on something... But in the end we concluded he was just a 50:50 mix of cr@p and cheapskate.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Pross said:

Not trivial but a couple of times in the last week or so I've been passed by a car whilst walking the dogs up a narrow country lane which has left a strong smell of weed in its wake (I think it was the same car of both occasions). Only the driver in the car so presumably stoned in the middle of the day driving on a single track lane that gets used as a bit of a rat run. I also passed a group of builders with their cars parked up in one of the passing places enjoying a joint before, presumably, heading back to work.

I rarely go out on the bike without smelling it from a passing car. I find it alarming that so many people drive around like this.

TBH I often smell it whilst driving too, coming from vehicles in front of me.

It does make me wonder if the smokers are so used to it that they think it others can't smell it or perhaps they just don't care.

The older I get, the better I was.

• briantrumpet
    It annoys me that I've never been able to smell it, or if I have, to recognise it as such.
  • First.Aspect

It annoys me that I've never been able to smell it, or if I have, to recognise it as such.

Take a job in a comprehensive school Brian.
  • briantrumpet

I've had the stuff shoved under my nose, and I still couldn't really say I could smell it. I've also spent a day with a (now late) big band trumpeter, and he repeatedly put it in his pipe and smoked it, all day.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,653
    https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/oct/08/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-fin-boys-cambridge-inventive-cookery-and-seriously-good-ingredients?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Review of a restaurant down the road.

All very good. That’s not the beef. The beef is with this;

Good seafood should never be cheap.

Can’t stand this attitude.
  • rick_chasey
    Fin Boys saw themselves as a repository of good ingredients, alongside a few pre-prepped dishes and advice. They built their relationships with those Cornish day boats and their sustainable fishing methods. They sourced bluefin tuna from a farm in Galicia; they made sure the scallops were hand-dived. And some nights each week they would become a restaurant. Three months ago, however, they scrapped the main retail business. The demand just wasn’t there. A lot of home cooks seem terrified of fish. They see fins and scales and eyes, staring back at them, and run away gibbering. Now, Fin Boys is solely a restaurant.

So the reason they don’t have an oven and why it was a shop before was, I believe, because of planning permission. They sold it as a shop which would have a few sit in eaters.

So they sold it to the planners as mixed use.

The fish they sold was never the stuff you’d want to buy and so overpriced you wouldn’t pay it.

Anyway….
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,533

Fin Boys saw themselves as a repository of good ingredients, alongside a few pre-prepped dishes and advice. They built their relationships with those Cornish day boats and their sustainable fishing methods. They sourced bluefin tuna from a farm in Galicia; they made sure the scallops were hand-dived. And some nights each week they would become a restaurant. Three months ago, however, they scrapped the main retail business. The demand just wasn’t there. A lot of home cooks seem terrified of fish. They see fins and scales and eyes, staring back at them, and run away gibbering. Now, Fin Boys is solely a restaurant.

So the reason they don’t have an oven and why it was a shop before was, I believe, because of planning permission. They sold it as a shop which would have a few sit in eaters.

The fish they sold was never the stuff you’d want to buy and so overpriced you wouldn’t pay it.

Anyway….

Presumably because good seafood should never be cheap.

On a different note, I bought a squid from a local shop a while go. I asked if they would gut it. They said no, but it was easy to do at home. It isn't, so no repeat business from me. Sometimes local shops don't help themselves.
  • briantrumpet

Anyway….

Presumably because good seafood should never be cheap.

On a different note, I bought a squid from a local shop a while go. I asked if they would gut it. They said no, but it was easy to do at home. It isn't, so no repeat business from me. Sometimes local shops don't help themselves.

Probably as easy as getting a perfectly flat finish on plastering a large area. Looks easy when you know how...
  • First.Aspect

I've had the stuff shoved under my nose, and I still couldn't really say I could smell it. I've also spent a day with a (now late) big band trumpeter, and he repeatedly put it in his pipe and smoked it, all day.
    Ah. Wasn't meant to be a dig.

Its called skunk for a reason. So best option is to find a skunk, say, "boo" to it and go from there.

Don't wear any nice clothes when you do this.
  • First.Aspect
    Might be easier to just stop to fix a mechanical of you ever pass a vauxhall nova parked in a field entrance. Eventually you'll smell it.
  • briantrumpet

Ah. Wasn't meant to be a dig.

Its called skunk for a reason. So best option is to find a skunk, say, "boo" to it and go from there.

Don't wear any nice clothes when you do this.

I'll join the Topsham Skunk Sniffing Group.

Or I'll just accept I can't smell the stuff. Maybe it's like finding sprouts tasting bitter - it's all in the genes. Probably just as well I'm not employed as a drug-sniffing dog, whatever.
  • rick_chasey
    Whilst I’m in a grumpy mood; queuing at the cigarette counter to pick up an order. The state of the people queueing to buy them, Christ alive.
  • briantrumpet

Whilst I’m in a grumpy mood; queuing at the cigarette counter to pick up an order. The state of the people queueing to buy them, Christ alive.

What cigarettes had you ordered?
  • rick_chasey
    The not so known brand of the 48 sandwich platter.
  • briantrumpet

The not so known brand of the 48 sandwich platter.

I think you'll be in quite a state if you smoke all 48.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    edited October 2023
    I find that sandwiches are damp and difficult to light.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!