Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Came onto a motorway on the slip road behind someone doing 40mph. Didn’t speed up once they got onto the motorway.

Was too busy to find enough of a gap in the faster lane to get up enough speed to pass safely.

Super stressful.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,669
    People that do 40mph in a 60 derestricted zone and continue to do 40 in the 30mph zone.
    Gets my bloody goat.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    If I can be a man who yells at cloud; I went cycling on Monday and it was 23 and I wore summer kit, I’m about to go out and it’s 5 degrees and I’m in full winter kit, wtf
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540

If I can be a man who yells at cloud; I went cycling on Monday and it was 23 and I wore summer kit, I’m about to go out and it’s 5 degrees and I’m in full winter kit, wtf

Ditto, but at least the sun's out for the mo.
  • rick_chasey
    Mmm my body does not enjoy riding under 10 degrees *grumble grumble*

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Weather was absolutely perfect for my run (could maybe have had lighter wind). If it’s like it for my marathon in two weeks I’ll be very happy.
  • briantrumpet
    All the 'found pets' scammy posts on Facebook which gullible people share from community groups. The scammers wait for a few thousand shares, then edit the OP to be for loan sharks or suchlike. Comments always disabled, and the same type of wording every time.

"Hi all I'm desperately trying to find the owner of this sweet girl I picked up about half an hour ago along side the road in the (location) area. She has been taken to the vets but does not have a chip. Please help bump this post so she can be reunited with her owner asap."

I sometimes wonder if people should have to pass an exam to use FB.

It did amuse me that I had a moan about it on FB, complete with screencap of a scammy post, and FB's automated system told me that I'd shared false information and blocked out the screencap. At least something there works, sometimes.
  • rick_chasey

All the 'found pets' scammy posts on Facebook which gullible people share from community groups. The scammers wait for a few thousand shares, then edit the OP to be for loan sharks or suchlike. Comments always disabled, and the same type of wording every time.

"Hi all I'm desperately trying to find the owner of this sweet girl I picked up about half an hour ago along side the road in the (location) area. She has been taken to the vets but does not have a chip. Please help bump this post so she can be reunited with her owner asap."

It did amuse me that I had a moan about it on FB, complete with screencap of a scammy post, and FB's automated system told me that I'd shared false information and blocked out the screencap. At least something there works, sometimes.
    Pretty much exclusively for the over 60s isn’t it?

I don’t know anyone other than the mother in law who uses it
  • briantrumpet

Pretty much exclusively for the over 60s isn’t it?

I don’t know anyone other than the mother in law who uses it

It has skewed towards older folk, for sure, as the generation who grew up with it have got older, and their parents have got to grips with it, but quite a few of the students who started with in in the early 2000s and are now in their 30s & 40s still use it, and, weirdly, it seems to be a fairly well-used 'tool' for current students at uni (the ones I deal with, anyway), though not their first choice medium.

Though my French FB follower stats don't offer much refutation, it's a slightly wider spread than you might think, despite these stats being for a middle aged man riding a bike a lot taking photos, so hardly representative. (FWIW, I am amused that the 2/3 1/3 split between women and men has stayed almost exactly fixed despite total numbers quadrupling over a few years.)

I still think Instagram is just the same thing, but with less functionality, even if it is more widely used for messaging than FB. I can't really see the point of it, other than for capturing a younger part of the audience through its differential branding.)

I stay clear of all the common messaging apps themselves (Snapchat, Whatsapp, FB, Instagram) because of all the info they mop up from mobiles, sticking to browser versions - I think one has somewhat more control over what they can hoover up.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    Waited 30 mins to cancel Virgin media contract. Turns out I needed to call exactly on Thursday as I will otherwise have a cancellation fee for early termination or an out of contract charge. Hardly encourages me to continue with them.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Waited 30 mins to cancel Virgin media contract. Turns out I needed to call exactly on Thursday as I will otherwise have a cancellation fee for early termination or an out of contract charge. Hardly encourages me to continue with them.

I'm getting Community Fibre fitted tomorrow, will then be able to cancel my Virgin contract. I'm not looking forward to the time it'll take on hold, although I will be glad to get rid of them.
  • rick_chasey

If you're switching to sky, sky will cover up to £200 of the cancellation fee, FWIW.
  • rick_chasey

I'm getting Community Fibre fitted tomorrow, will then be able to cancel my Virgin contract. I'm not looking forward to the time it'll take on hold, although I will be glad to get rid of them.
    Took me about and hour and then dodged around 5-6 rather aggressive sales calls...
  • TheBigBean

If you're switching to sky, sky will cover up to £200 of the cancellation fee, FWIW.
    I just want to buy myself 30 days to work out a plan. My Virgin deal was too good (£64 for absolutely everything).

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Took me about and hour and then dodged around 5-6 rather aggressive sales calls...
    How do you know they were aggressive if you dodged them?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

I doubt I'll get any sales calls, I told them our land line wasn't working over a year ago the last time I had a complaint. They closed my complaint as I wasn't answering their calls, the idiots didn't try the mobile number I gave them.
  • briantrumpet
    This whole cancellation ball-ache seems to me ripe for legislation, in the same way changing bank accounts was regulated for... there's currently a blatant barrier to the free market operating as it should.
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

How do you know they were aggressive if you dodged them?
    First two were ;)
  • TheBigBean

This whole cancellation ball-ache seems to me ripe for legislation, in the same way changing bank accounts was regulated for... there's currently a blatant barrier to the free market operating as it should.

I'd ban in contract increases as well. Virgin want RPI + 3.9% in April.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited October 2023

Yeah, that's pretty common and the +3.9% is gouging really.
  • briantrumpet

Either that, or if they increase within contract, allow penalty-free transfer, as the contract has effectively been broken.
  • TheBigBean
    Properly trivial one. Confirmation emails for bookings that don't arrive immediately.
  • TheBigBean

One of these days I'd like to join a regulator and go into battle on these sorts of things. Maybe I'm a wannabee Eurocrat.
  • rick_chasey

One of these days I'd like to join a regulator and go into battle on these sorts of things. Maybe I'm a wannabee Eurocrat.
    Always thought you were pro the market deciding this stuff and not regulators in Brussels/London?
  • TheBigBean

Always thought you were pro the market deciding this stuff and not regulators in Brussels/London?
    Even the purists such as @surrey_commuter believe in regulation to prevent monopolies, manage oligopolies, protect the environment and protect consumers.

I'm not even a purist. I do laugh at USB-C cables though.

The problem is that it is hard for consumers to enforce the law, so large companies get away with pushing the boundaries. It's the regulators job to act as the large player in defence of consumers. For example, there is plenty of legislation around against punitive contracts, but that doesn't stop many companies thinking they can put them in place.

Also, I think my main reason to switch sides would be to help with prosecutions in complex cases where it seems the FCA is constantly lacking. I'd find that more rewarding than banana shape etc.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2023
    Once upon a time, from when it was being measured to around 2016, better customer services was correlated with better profits, share performance and dividend.

In 2016 that changed and has never been the same since.

https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2023/10/05/why-businesses-are-struggling-to-keep-customers-happy

(premise of the podcast is more interesting than the conclusions, alas)
  • TheBigBean

Once upon a time, from when it was being measured to around 2016, better customer services was correlated with better profits, share performance and dividend.

In 2016 that changed and has never been the same since.

https://www.economist.com/podcasts/2023/10/05/why-businesses-are-struggling-to-keep-customers-happy

(premise of the podcast is more interesting than the conclusions, alas)

I've never read it, but I think Sir Terry Lehy discusses in his book how he was concerned about Tesco stores that were making too much money. He thought it was an early sign that something wasn't right (too many people, too busy etc.)

I always found it interesting that after he left, profits struggled and Tescos did the exact opposite of this in that constantly chased profits at the expense of customers.

Maybe times have changed, but I thought it was interesting. He was also pro bakeries in stores as a service for customers. Another thing in decline.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    I’ll never understand why businesses will make all sorts of effort to attract new customers but will then exploit them / fail to deliver so they go elsewhere.

Even in my line of work I’ve been at places where I’m getting told to win more work but then being given insufficient resources to deliver and keep clients, old and new, happy. It feels far more sensible to me to keep the good existing customers happy as the priority. That in itself should help generate more business.
  • IFAs is a market where that's the case:

3% signing on comission
    1% annual fee

so they always chase the new customer
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700
    Pross said:

I’ll never understand why businesses will make all sorts of effort to attract new customers but will then exploit them / fail to deliver so they go elsewhere.

Even in my line of work I’ve been at places where I’m getting told to win more work but then being given insufficient resources to deliver and keep clients, old and new, happy. It feels far more sensible to me to keep the good existing customers happy as the priority. That in itself should help generate more business.

Yep. Whatever happened to the old adage that your best future customer is an existing one?