Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,540
    Wifi grrr - despite being all fibred up, there seems to be a bit of a bug with Eero 6's defaulting to channel 155 on the 5Ghz band, so my internet speed is now slightly slower than before, as I'm stuck on the 2.4Ghz band.

The Talktalk community forum is pretty awesome though, so I hope to get it sorted, one way or another. Annoying, all the same.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

All the 'found pets' scammy posts on Facebook which gullible people share from community groups. The scammers wait for a few thousand shares, then edit the OP to be for loan sharks or suchlike. Comments always disabled, and the same type of wording every time.

"Hi all I'm desperately trying to find the owner of this sweet girl I picked up about half an hour ago along side the road in the (location) area. She has been taken to the vets but does not have a chip. Please help bump this post so she can be reunited with her owner asap."

I sometimes wonder if people should have to pass an exam to use FB.

It did amuse me that I had a moan about it on FB, complete with screencap of a scammy post, and FB's automated system told me that I'd shared false information and blocked out the screencap. At least something there works, sometimes.
    Pretty much exclusively for the over 60s isn’t it?

I don’t know anyone other than the mother in law who uses it
    Triathlon groups I’m on are typically full of active 20’s to 50’s yo on the whole.

It’s definitely not the younger generations first choice platform but it’s far from a home for geriatrics.
  • morstar
    Problem is with how modern business has evolved.

Sustaining a business and enhancing the bottom line through long term growth has taken second place to rapidly increasing perceived value and selling the business for an inflated value.

Short termism prevails.

• briantrumpet
    morstar said:

All the 'found pets' scammy posts on Facebook which gullible people share from community groups. The scammers wait for a few thousand shares, then edit the OP to be for loan sharks or suchlike. Comments always disabled, and the same type of wording every time.

"Hi all I'm desperately trying to find the owner of this sweet girl I picked up about half an hour ago along side the road in the (location) area. She has been taken to the vets but does not have a chip. Please help bump this post so she can be reunited with her owner asap."

It did amuse me that I had a moan about it on FB, complete with screencap of a scammy post, and FB's automated system told me that I'd shared false information and blocked out the screencap. At least something there works, sometimes.

Triathlon groups I’m on are typically full of active 20’s to 50’s yo on the whole.

It’s definitely not the younger generations first choice platform but it’s far from a home for geriatrics.

Yeah, it seems to be a useful tool for social groupings for organising stuff, which is keeping it as one of the things in students' communications. FB is obviously not making much headway in the Tiktok or Instagram brief 'story' or short video realm (ditto Youtube), but it retains useful functionality that keeps its foot in the door. As it seems to be here to stay, at least for a while, I suspect as they get older, current students might still end up using it as a more general communication tool, though, as an old fart, I might be completely wrong.
  • briantrumpet

Wifi grrr - despite being all fibred up, there seems to be a bit of a bug with Eero 6's defaulting to channel 155 on the 5Ghz band, so my internet speed is now slightly slower than before, as I'm stuck on the 2.4Ghz band.

The Talktalk community forum is pretty awesome though, so I hope to get it sorted, one way or another. Annoying, all the same.

Looking like Talktalk/Eero have screwed up, and are using a router that defaults to a 5G channel that virtually no network cards support, so either they need a software fix via the Eero app, so you can change the channel, or they give up on the Eero till they've got it sorted. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

Looking like Talktalk/Eero have screwed up, and are using a router that defaults to a 5G channel that virtually no network cards support, so either they need a software fix via the Eero app, so you can change the channel, or they give up on the Eero till they've got it sorted. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this.
    This is where your own wifi/mesh is useful.
  • briantrumpet

This is where your own wifi/mesh is useful.

Probably, but will see what TT come up with first, as that won't cost me any extra $s, and I'm a tightwad. I have learnt what a mesh is now, BTW.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    morstar said:

When I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, the Triathlon site that I used was great for dietary advice. Better than BR.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    pinno said:

morstar said:

When I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, the Triathlon site that I used was great for dietary advice. Better than BR.
    What??!!
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

What??!!

Did you never eat BR sandwiches?
  • pinno

Pross said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

What??!!
    Did you never eat BR sandwiches?
    Funny.
    [I did. They were shyte and over priced]
  • Pross
    Newswatch on BBC Breakfast. It fits the BBC’s love of self-flagellation but most of the complaints are ridiculous. The people who think their complaint is so important they send in a video of themselves reading it out are a particular ‘favourite’ of mine.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536
    Pross said:

Newswatch on BBC Breakfast. It fits the BBC’s love of self-flagellation but most of the complaints are ridiculous. The people who think their complaint is so important they send in a video of themselves reading it out are a particular ‘favourite’ of mine.

I can never avoid thinking about the presenter's salary expectations and her legal case.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Yes I saw this last night. It's a modern reincarnation of Points of View (if anyone remembers that) and there was diddley squat regarding other channels.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Yes I saw this last night. It's a modern reincarnation of Points of View (if anyone remembers that) and there was diddley squat regarding other channels.
    I think Points of View is still going, I bump into every now and again when channel hopping. Possibly in that Sunday afternoon dead zone.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

I think Points of View is still going, I bump into every now and again when channel hopping. Possibly in that Sunday afternoon dead zone.

Used to be Barry Took, IIRC.

I do RC.

• morstar
    The steady but unending drip of markers of an aging body.
    As of this week, pills required for an age related issue and wore my glasses for the first time on a run. Was nice to not be running on a fuzzy trail but not that long ago, it wasn’t fuzzy without them.
  • Pross
    Whenever I train for a marathon I seem to pick up a cold a few weeks beforehand that just disrupts the final bit of training. This time around I was feeling a bit unwell for a few days at the same time as my wife had Covid but I somehow tested negative and was fine after a couple of days. Last week I started feeling a bit of a cold coming on and was hoping it wasn't anything more serious as the person I'd been sat next to in choir a few days before had got Covid. That was last Wednesday and nothing really developed, just a sore throat and a bit of a cough that didn't hinder my running so I thought it would clear before the race on Saturday. Unfortunately since last night I've started to feel more blocked up and getting slightly jelly legs. Hopefully there's still enough time for it to clear ahead of the race but at the very least I think I'm going to be snot rocketing all the way around which won't be fun. I suppose at least it won't be high intensity where breathing will be difficult other than getting up the three big hills.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    ^^ Same for big bike events. Have always wondered if getting to that peak of fitness worsens the immune system in some way.
  • Pross
    Yeah, that's my assumption. It usually comes right at the end of the final big weeks of training for me.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

^^ Same for big bike events. Have always wondered if getting to that peak of fitness worsens the immune system in some way.

In a similar theme, the amount of people who get ill following a cycling holiday. I am sure the exertion lowers the immune system and the body goes into limp mode when you stop.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno

It doesn't 'worsen' as such, as it's just that your body is under duress and that adds an element of susceptibility. We've seen how a 'bug' rattles through a peloton during a GT. That initial few hours after intensive effort is where you are at your weakest.

With my already compromised immune system, it makes riding sometimes tricky.
    It's a balance; if I over do things, I am putting the immune system under pressure and if I back off at the slightest sign of illness, I won't get any stronger.

Doesn't help if you are lean, with less fat (insulation), you are further exposed. I wouldn't entertain something competitive in winter. Pro's go to warm climes in winter to train - for multiple reasons.
    October/November/December are superb months for colds and coughs. Much better we had frosty dry weather instead of this damp.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

In a similar theme, the amount of people who get ill following a cycling holiday. I am sure the exertion lowers the immune system and the body goes into limp mode when you stop.

Or the end-of-term teacher's cold/covid.

Sniffle sniffle. It's what holidays are for.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,700

pblakeney said:

Just don't go there.
  • First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

Just don't go there.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

Just don't go there.

I'm already there.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Headlines like this: https://bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67204993
    The fog did not cause the pile-up, people not driving to the conditions did.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited October 2023
    People using the word "unbelievable" (eg, when the word they really should say, "remarkable".

For example;

"That was an unbelievable piece of skill by the centre-forward".
    No it wasn't. He/she just did it.

"That is an unbelievable piece of engineering"
    No it isn't. The piece of engineering has been completed.
  • First.Aspect
    de_sisti said:

People using the word "unbelievable" (eg, when the word they really should say, "remarkable".

For example;

"That was an unbelievable piece of skill by the centre-forward".
    No it wasn't. He/she just did it.

"That is an unbelievable piece of engineering"
    No it isn't. The piece of engineering has been completed.

What about literally unbelievable?
  • briantrumpet
    I know, it's incredible how people exaggerate for dramatic effect. It makes me tear my hair out.