Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

There's no school uniform at my kid's primary school. I can't tell who is rich; however, it would be dangerous to infer too much from my views on clothing.

My grandson wears £150 trainers to school. I doubt anyone in poverty can do that.
    And yes, the kids do know.
    Wondering how much is a flex :D and how much that price is just a sign of the extreme length of time since I were a youngun!

I do feel kids are likely to get picked on, on both sides of the visible wealth bell curve.
    Twas ever thus, and forever shall be.
    Yep. I'd argue uniform can go a little way to help alleviate some of it, but is obviously miles away from solving it.

As someone who wore uniform growing up, I don't really consider it had any negative impact. Although maybe it's the reason I now refuse to wear the mechanical engineer uniform of variation on blue shirt and black trousers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

There's no school uniform at my kid's primary school. I can't tell who is rich; however, it would be dangerous to infer too much from my views on clothing.

My grandson wears £150 trainers to school. I doubt anyone in poverty can do that.
    Wealth looks like a beat up, old hatchback or estate. Ideally from VAG but those old boxy Volvo's are more bling than the rainbow diamond bezel rolex Daytona. (John Mayer?).
    Spotting the kids who turn up with heavily creased clothes because their parents struggle to/don't do the washing properly is more what happens tbh.

Or those who have to queue for the school dinners - especially when the school gives the free school meals kids a seperate queue.

The idea uniform is a leveller is just naïve. Uniforms are all about eroding individuality. That's literally the point of them.
    You think that is confined to poorer children? Being able to iron clothes has become a lost skill and a lot of people I know admit to never ironing anything. Lazy parenting isn't restricted to certain socio economic groups.

I used to do some work for the founder of a well known High Street fashion company who was worth a few hundred million but a lot of the time looked like a rough sleeper (and drove around in a 20 year old heap of censored Range Rover).
    It's more when they've pulled the clothes straight out of the pile of clothes that have been damp in the washing machine for a couple days.

You see the look on the teacher's face when they rock up. Usually late, obviously.
    Again, are you saying that's a guide to whether the child is from a poor family rather than just parental laziness?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    The correlation is usually pretty strong. Though I’d call it parental neglect, not laziness
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Wealth looks like a beat up, old hatchback or estate. Ideally from VAG but those old boxy Volvo's are more bling than the rainbow diamond bezel rolex Daytona. (John Mayer?).
    Spotting the kids who turn up with heavily creased clothes because their parents struggle to/don't do the washing properly is more what happens tbh.

Or those who have to queue for the school dinners - especially when the school gives the free school meals kids a seperate queue.

The idea uniform is a leveller is just naïve. Uniforms are all about eroding individuality. That's literally the point of them.
    You think that is confined to poorer children? Being able to iron clothes has become a lost skill and a lot of people I know admit to never ironing anything. Lazy parenting isn't restricted to certain socio economic groups.

I used to do some work for the founder of a well known High Street fashion company who was worth a few hundred million but a lot of the time looked like a rough sleeper (and drove around in a 20 year old heap of censored Range Rover).
    It's more when they've pulled the clothes straight out of the pile of clothes that have been damp in the washing machine for a couple days.

You see the look on the teacher's face when they rock up. Usually late, obviously.
    Why are you hanging around to see who is turning up late?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Wondering how much is a flex :D and how much that price is just a sign of the extreme length of time since I were a youngun!

I do feel kids are likely to get picked on, on both sides of the visible wealth bell curve.
    Twas ever thus, and forever shall be.
    Yep. I'd argue uniform can go a little way to help alleviate some of it, but is obviously miles away from solving it.

As someone who wore uniform growing up, I don't really consider it had any negative impact. Although maybe it's the reason I now refuse to wear the mechanical engineer uniform of variation on blue shirt and black trousers.
    I wore a uniform too. We all knew who had expensive blazers with the badge sewn on and shiny shoes. Same as we knew who had hand me downs and scuffed shoes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

The correlation is usually pretty strong. Though I’d call it parental neglect, not laziness

That sounds very Daily Mail
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

That sounds very Daily Mail
    Broken homes usually aren’t groaning under the weight of success
  • pangolin said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

I think he is sat in the classroom
    You see the look on the teacher's face when they rock up. Usually late, obviously
  • rick_chasey
    pangolin said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Lol I was a kid!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

pangolin said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Lol I was a kid!
    OMG you're actually doing 'when I were a lad'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    Fantastic :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Sure.

You see the same stuff, especially in the same town you grew up in.

Hell the local school has some of the highest levels of kids involved in social services and free school meals. Most of the conversations you hear at the school gate between teachers and parents are pretty worrying. Police involved, all sorts.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532

Sure.

Hell the local school has some of the highest levels of kids involved in social services and free school meals. Most of the conversations you hear at the school gate between teachers and parents are pretty worrying. Police involved, all sorts.

The mystery is that you returned. I'm not going back to where I grew up.
  • Be starting on "back in my day we had to make do with a Playstation 2" before long.
  • TheBigBean

Be starting on "back in my day we had to make do with a Playstation 2" before long.

Apparently there is a retro gaming thing at the science museum. Very popular with kids who get to experience the graphics their parents called gaming.
  • rjsterry said:

pangolin said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Lol I was a kid!
    OMG you're actually doing 'when I were a lad'.
    That can't be right? There must be a mistake, that's what old people say and Rick hates old people.
  • rick_chasey
    Back on topic, a coffee shop which was cycling orientated and ran some good club runs has shut permanently :(
  • Sure.

I could think of nothing worse. The missus has a mate whose kids went to the same school thatshe did, I would find that very depressing as it would feel like you had not progressed at all.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

I could think of nothing worse. The missus has a mate whose kids went to the same school thatshe did, I would find that very depressing as it would feel like you had not progressed at all.

Yeah, definitely have that. Also, the eyewatering cost of the houses on the street I grew up in and how unobtainable they are (3 bed 30s semis are very sought after) is absolutely gutting.

Had to make a compromise for help with children, being between London and my wife's family.

In hindsight possibly not the best choice but at the time there were various things we weren't to know.
  • Sure.

Depends what school you went to. If I could send my kids to the school I went to, that would be some serious moving up in the world.
  • TheBigBean

Sure.

Depends what school you went to. If I could send my kids to the school I went to, that would be some serious moving up in the world.
    How does that work? Let's say you went to Eton, how is it moving up in the world if your kids go to Eton?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

Sure.

One of the contractors I work with is a third generation builder whose children go to the same village school he and probably his dad did. His surname is the same as a village 3 miles away so I think the family hasn't moved that far. I'd guess he measures his success on well completed projects and repeat customers rather than how far he moved away.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

Sure.

My kids go to the school my wife went to. It's a great local school and the kids do well. It's a great area to live in and the kids see my in-laws all the time having a great relationship. If they went to my old school, I'd be more concerned though lol.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

Sure.

What on earth has moving away got to do with "progression"?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pangolin
    This perhaps all depends on the quality of the schools posters went to
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Both my daughters went to the same school as my wife. My one niece went to the same secondary school as my sister (and me and my other sisters) and both her kids went to the same primary school as us and where my mum worked and dad was a governor for years.

I thought it was quite commonplace. Are we in Rick’s world where if you haven’t moved to London you have no ambition?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2023

Sure.

How does that work? Let's say you went to Eton, how is it moving up in the world if your kids go to Eton?
    Because my going to "Eton" was paid for by my parents' inheritance. If I send my kids to "Eton", I will be paying for it out of my own salary.

I didn't go to Eton, but for illustration.
  • TheBigBean
    edited September 2023
    Pross said:

Both my daughters went to the same school as my wife. My one niece went to the same secondary school as my sister (and me and my other sisters) and both her kids went to the same primary school as us and where my mum worked and dad was a governor for years.

I thought it was quite commonplace. Are we in Rick’s world where if you haven’t moved to London you have no ambition?

If you liked the area and the school then, of course, there is nothing wrong with it; however, if you didn't like it and you are encumbered with emotional baggage associated with it, it seems odd to not pick somewhere new.

I didn't share the same values as most people in the area that I grew up in, so have no desire to go back.

• Pross

Pross said:

If you liked the area and the school then, of course, there is nothing wrong with it; however, if you didn't like it and you are encumbered with emotional baggage associated with it, it seems odd to not pick somewhere new.

I didn't share the same values as most people in the area that I grew up in, so have no desire to go back.

I was refering to SC's follow up comment. It seemed to imply that simply having your kid go to the same school you did feels like you haven't progressed at all.

Living where I grew up would actually be progress on living where I do too. It was never affordable enough when I got on the housing ladder.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537

Sure.

Because my going to "Eton" was paid for by my parents' inheritance. If I send my kids to "Eton", I will be paying for it out of my own salary.

I didn't go to Eton, but for illustration.
    I think in general due to the above inflation fee rises, there are a fair few private school leavers who would have to be doing "better" than their parents to afford the fees.