Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    edited September 2023

Had the debate before; school uniform is just trivially annoying and pointless.

So grim.

Genuinely couldn't tell in a local primary school with a basic but smart uniform of polo shirt and grey trousers/shorts who were the children of medics and who were the children of families in one of the most deprived catchment areas in the whole of the SW. I'm not a fan of blazers and all that rigmarole. Enjoyed the protest of the lads at the local school who wore skirts when the school banned shorts in the summer. They won.
    Lol were they mute?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

So grim.

Genuinely couldn't tell in a local primary school with a basic but smart uniform of polo shirt and grey trousers/shorts who were the children of medics and who were the children of families in one of the most deprived catchment areas in the whole of the SW. I'm not a fan of blazers and all that rigmarole. Enjoyed the protest of the lads at the local school who wore skirts when the school banned shorts in the summer. They won.
    Lol were they mute?
    Sweeping generalisations no. 4763
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    edited September 2023

So grim.

This is the argument in favour, but I wonder if (with respect, Brian) the people who make it can actually remember being at school.

The kids know already.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

So grim.

Lol were they mute?
    Sweeping generalisations no. 4763
    Lol you naive?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    There's no school uniform at my kid's primary school. I can't tell who is rich; however, it would be dangerous to infer too much from my views on clothing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

There's no school uniform at my kid's primary school. I can't tell who is rich; however, it would be dangerous to infer too much from my views on clothing.

My grandson wears £150 trainers to school. I doubt anyone in poverty can do that.
    And yes, the kids do know.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089

rjsterry said:

Rick - I think you might explode with anger if you do too much with schools. They annoy me a lot.

My latest pet hate is the inability for school staff to look at names on lost items when they can instead just throw it all in a big pile. Not sure my commentary was particularly appreciated "Have you thought about just giving this to Harry, because it says Harry on it quite clearly?"

Mandatory branded PE kit bags that are too small for the mandatory branded PE kit.
    I thought schools were supposed not to be enforcing pointless censored like this any more?

As an aside, does anyone else remember the fad in the 80s of bigger and bigger kit bags. In my school tennis bags became the rage and Head bags about 5 feet long were the norm.
    Yeah. We had to carry all our books and kit around from A block to B block to C block and back again and parents made noises about getting lockers but the suggestion was always met with bollox.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney said:

My grandson wears £150 trainers to school. I doubt anyone in poverty can do that.
    Wealth looks like a beat up, old hatchback or estate. Ideally from VAG but those old boxy Volvo's are more bling than the rainbow diamond bezel rolex Daytona. (John Mayer?).
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Wealth looks like a beat up, old hatchback or estate. Ideally from VAG but those old boxy Volvo's are more bling than the rainbow diamond bezel rolex Daytona. (John Mayer?).
    True, but I am talking about early high school kids so all they've got is clothes and phones.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,537
    pblakeney said:

Wondering how much is a flex :D and how much that price is just a sign of the extreme length of time since I were a youngun!

I do feel kids are likely to get picked on, on both sides of the visible wealth bell curve.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    The now seemingly compulsory photo of journalists huddled around senior politicians while they give an interview on a plane.
  • pinno
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Wondering how much is a flex :D and how much that price is just a sign of the extreme length of time since I were a youngun!

I do feel kids are likely to get picked on, on both sides of the visible wealth bell curve.
    Yeah, I think uniforms are a levellers and create a second hand market to a degree.
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

Spotting the kids who turn up with heavily creased clothes because their parents struggle to/don't do the washing properly is more what happens tbh.

Or those who have to queue for the school dinners - especially when the school gives the free school meals kids a seperate queue.

The idea uniform is a leveller is just naïve. Uniforms are all about eroding individuality. That's literally the point of them.
  • pinno
    edited September 2023
  • pinno

The idea uniform is a leveller is just naïve. Uniforms are all about eroding individuality. That's literally the point of them.

In the same vein as FA - nope.

• pinno
    edited September 2023
    'Erosion of individuality'. Hmm...

I met a girl with studs in her ears and nose and lip (and god knows where else) and she had purple hair and a strange and contrary gothic style and I got to know her. This was at at Uni.
    Within a few weeks of getting to know her, she turns out to be as dull as grey, drizzly day in Bromsgrove.

• pinno
    Are you on your customary morning rant Rick?
  • rick_chasey
    Of course, how else to start a Friday morning? Good way to get revved up for a day of work.
  • pinno
    Some inner calm would surely be more conducive.

...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference, living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; taking this world as it is and not as I would have it...
  • rick_chasey
    I’d suggest confusing individuality with how interesting you find someone might not help in life either but I’m sure you’ve worked that one out.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

I met a girl with studs in her ears and nose and lip (and god knows where else) and she had purple hair and a strange and contrary gothic style and I got to know her. This was at at Uni.
    Within a few weeks of getting to know her, she turns out to be as dull as grey, drizzly day in Bromsgrove.

Sounds pretty standard issue. Archaeology?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

pblakeney said:

Spotting the kids who turn up with heavily creased clothes because their parents struggle to/don't do the washing properly is more what happens tbh.

Or those who have to queue for the school dinners - especially when the school gives the free school meals kids a seperate queue.

When has individuality been of any value? Especially to children.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    What?!?! You see no value in individuality? Holy moly. Life it too short even for me to spell that out on a forum.

• pblakeney
    Jezyboy said:

pblakeney said:

Twas ever thus, and forever shall be.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry

What?!?! You see no value in individuality? Holy moly. Life it too short even for me to spell that out on a forum.

At the risk of slipping into amateur analysis this explains a lot. In any case, wearing non-uniform clothes that your parents picked for you is hardly the definition of self expression.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Sounds pretty standard issue. Archaeology?
    AFAIR, teacher training. She was from Idaho.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    rjsterry said:

At the risk of slipping into amateur analysis this explains a lot. In any case, wearing non-uniform clothes that your parents picked for you is hardly the definition of self expression.
    Kids do have some input which I assume you have experienced. I'd say from about the age of 3. Possibly 2.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

pblakeney said:

You think that is confined to poorer children? Being able to iron clothes has become a lost skill and a lot of people I know admit to never ironing anything. Lazy parenting isn't restricted to certain socio economic groups.

I used to do some work for the founder of a well known High Street fashion company who was worth a few hundred million but a lot of the time looked like a rough sleeper (and drove around in a 20 year old heap of shit Range Rover).
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Kids do have some input which I assume you have experienced. I'd say from about the age of 3. Possibly 2.
    Oh sure, we have had plenty of rows about which of ten pairs of identical school socks are not too small/big/itchy or otherwise unacceptable. Normally a displacement activity rather than an expression of individuality.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

You think that is confined to poorer children? Being able to iron clothes has become a lost skill and a lot of people I know admit to never ironing anything. Lazy parenting isn't restricted to certain socio economic groups.

I used to do some work for the founder of a well known High Street fashion company who was worth a few hundred million but a lot of the time looked like a rough sleeper (and drove around in a 20 year old heap of censored Range Rover).
    It's more when they've pulled the clothes straight out of the pile of clothes that have been damp in the washing machine for a couple days.

You see the look on the teacher's face when they rock up. Usually late, obviously.