Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    I think I factor effort in though. I can make a good pie for example but it's a lot of work.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    pangolin said:

I think I factor effort in though. I can make a good pie for example but it's a lot of work.

Don't worry, I can give you some pie recipe's that aren't.
    However, if you have made a home made Pork pie...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,685

Pross said:

Can’t believe that amongst all that you haven’t got a gripe at food being served on anything other than a plate (or dish where appropriate).

Why is it no longer seemingly possible to have good quality food just served in a traditional way?

There’s a place near me that does nice food but for fish or meat you have to go to a deli counter and pick what you want and they charge you by weight, I just want to order bass (not ‘sea’ bass as they insist on calling it) and have a decent sized fillet served at the table.

Good point. https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates

A few more.
    - Crockery on my plate. Basket of fries, lasagna dish etc.
    - Pies that are soup with pastry floating on top
    - Ketchup in sachets.
    - Shrimps with their shells on

A roof tile as a plate.

A chopping board as a plate.

Anything dangerously hot as a a plate, that also substitutes as an oven.

Anything inedible on a plate, or a plate substitute.
  • pangolin
    pinno said:

pangolin said:

Soup with a pastry lid is nice and quick, I'll give you that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

Confused.
    Did I mention soup with a pastry lid?
  • pangolin
    pinno said:

pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

Confused.
    Sorry, it was in Bean's list of annoyances
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,630

Anyway, in the world of trivially annoying.

Currently doing a fair bit of driving around Umbria in a new fiat panda hybrid.

All good; a helpful hire car for holiday; but the way the hybrid recharges is quite annoying.

Obviously it’s very twisty around here, not a straight road in sight. Problem I have is when driving downhill.

I like to do my braking, come off the brakes as the turn in starts, come back on the gas on the exit.

Instead, the recharging effort carries on until I hit the gas, which means there’s still a significant braking effort going on when you’re turning, which going downhill is not ideal. Asking a lot of the front tyres.

So I’m having to brake harder for the corner and gently tap the gas as little as I go through. Slow and I doubt it’s more efficient as it’s excessive deceleration

It even harvests energy during gear changes, which is extra annoying when you’re in a deeply underpowered car.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited June 2023

All good; a helpful hire car for holiday; but the way the hybrid recharges is quite annoying.

Obviously it’s very twisty around here, not a straight road in sight. Problem I have is when driving downhill.

I like to do my braking, come off the brakes as the turn in starts, come back on the gas on the exit.

Instead, the recharging effort carries on until I hit the gas, which means there’s still a significant braking effort going on when you’re turning, which going downhill is not ideal. Asking a lot of the front tyres.

So I’m having to brake harder for the corner and gently tap the gas as little as I go through. Slow and I doubt it’s more efficient as it’s excessive deceleration

It even harvests energy during gear changes, which is extra annoying when you’re in a deeply underpowered car.
    I can see the answer to that. 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlEu4YOfio 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

Confused.
    Fair enough. I would be annoyed too.

I was extra annoyed when frequenting a restaurant that had newly opened locally and I ordered a crumble for pudding. It was a medley of fruit as opposed to the usual apple or apple and rhubarb so I thought I would give it a shot.
    It was scorchio. I mean nuke hot (obviously microwaved) and served in this small (3" diameter?) Ramekin dish. As a result of the obvious defrost/reheat process, the crumble was soggy, the fruit was decimated and the thing was so hot I had to wait and wait for it to cool down whilst the ice cream melted.
    I also never understood how I was supposed to spoon the crumble out of the Ramekin and get some ice cream to go with it as it was a messy arrangement, badly thought out.

We never went back. In fact, the restaurant didn't last long.

Bottelinos, Cheltenham: Valentines dinner I had arranged for me and the then GF.
    My food arrived 15 mins after hers. The pasta was so al dente, you could snap it.
    Desert finally came and I was served aerosol cream. After much moaning, they deducted the deserts off the bill. Barely an apology.
    Valentino's on the other side of town was just A1.

Oarton's restaurant, early 90's. Middle of service and a steak Diane came back. Customer complained that it was tough. Tough it was definitely not. The finest Aberdeen Angus steak.
    Trimmed the bit where she had cut into it, put it on the floor and the chef put his heel on it a couple of times, rinsed it, re-heated it and served with some new sauce on it.
    Customer was delighted with it said the waitress.

Ray Oarton, RIP (Brilliant chef. I learned so much. Thank you for giving me the opportunity but you were a complete b4stard at times).
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668

The most ridiculous meal I ever had was at a place called 'Stones' in Crediton, where, supposedly, one cooked one's own little morsels of food on, er, hot stones. Except the stones didn't stay hot enough for long enough, so they kept on having to bring more stones out. Oh, and the vegetarian option included prawns.

They closed about a month after opening.

We took father in law to his local pub who were experimenting with steaks on hot stones at the table. Which was OK until the resulting fog set the smoke alarms off and we all ended up in the car park while our food went cold.

And I once worked with a 'vegetarian' who reckoned chickens were stupid enough to count as vegetables...
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    It’s a huge bugbear of ours when some of the group haven’t finished eating, yet the waiter comes over to clear away the plates of those who have. I’m proud of my wife who, without fail, will always say something quite blunt to the waiter.

And when coffee shops serve cakes, ontop of napkins on a plate. The napkin is always dirty, so then can’t be used.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,630
    edited June 2023
    pblakeney said:

I can see the answer to that. 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlEu4YOfio 🤣
    Exactly.

Nothing like crawling up a 19% in line and wanting to go up to second, only for the harvesting to kick in as you snap it into second
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525
    edited June 2023
    wavefront said:

It’s a huge bugbear of ours when some of the group haven’t finished eating, yet the waiter comes over to clear away the plates of those who have. I’m proud of my wife who, without fail, will always say something quite blunt to the waiter.

And when coffee shops serve cakes, ontop of napkins on a plate. The napkin is always dirty, so then can’t be used.

Good points. Also trivially annoying.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    It's not trivially annoying to have your plate cleared while someone on your table is still eating - it's incredibly rude.
  • TheBigBean
    pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

pinno said:

pangolin said:

Confused.
    If you cook your own soup with pastry on top, then there is no deception involved, so I can see how that could be enjoyable.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

It's not trivially annoying to have your plate cleared while someone on your table is still eating - it's incredibly rude.

I don't mind it as I hate a cluttered table but they should ask first at least.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

To double the annoyance?
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315
    edited June 2023
    Pross said:

I am always first to finish my meal so the waiter taking my plate away is a good thing. I then have a clear area to use my phone whilst I wait for the chatty slow-feckers to finish. :D
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross said:

If there are tons of sharing plates, then fine. Otherwise, wait until everyone else is finished (except for my 1 pal, Giles, who eats insanely slowly, it's a wonder he survived boarding school)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    When there is an unmentioned garnish on a desert. I ordered a Chocolate torte, not a torte with quarter of a nasty strawberry on it. I get quizzical looks when I ask to send it back and have one that has been nowhere near a strawberry. Revolting fruit.
  • pblakeney
    Tashman said:

When there is an unmentioned garnish on a desert. I ordered a Chocolate torte, not a torte with quarter of a nasty strawberry on it. I get quizzical looks when I ask to send it back and have one that has been nowhere near a strawberry. Revolting fruit.

Other opinions are available.
    Good excuse for trivial nonsense. A strawberry isn't a berry.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,086
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

Is it dead or alive, though?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

And those opinions are indeed valid. The point stands though. i ordered something and got something else that wasn't described that spoiled the dish (In my opinion)
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

Is it dead or alive, though?
    You got me spinning right round with that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I live not far from Download (Donnington Park music festival if you didn't know).

It's a bit manic with traffic around here at the moment, yes it's annoying, but that isn't the subject of my post, I can live with it.

However, it's just been on the local news, showing the roads being blocked etc. AND saying the the issue is caused by everyone getting there at the same time. They then looked onwards to Monday, when it finishes. The National Highways chap says something along the lines of...

"we're asking people to stagger their journeys"

Think that through a minute, matey. How's that going to work?
    You're expecting 110,000 people, you want them to stagger their journeys? So do they all get together and plan who is setting off first? what happens when they ALL decide to 'stagger their journey time' and set off at 12pm?

Brilliant.

The older I get, the better I was.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    capt_slog said:

I live not far from Download (Donnington Park music festival if you didn't know).

It's a bit manic with traffic around here at the moment, yes it's annoying, but that isn't the subject of my post, I can live with it.

However, it's just been on the local news, showing the roads being blocked etc. AND saying the the issue is caused by everyone getting there at the same time. They then looked onwards to Monday, when it finishes. The National Highways chap says something along the lines of...

"we're asking people to stagger their journeys"

Think that through a minute, matey. How's that going to work?
    You're expecting 110,000 people, you want them to stagger their journeys? So do they all get together and plan who is setting off first? what happens when they ALL decide to 'stagger their journey time' and set off at 12pm?

Brilliant.

My daughter worked there last year and drove in without issues.
    She almost worked there this year….
    Until she abandoned her attempt to get there at 9pm last night still nowhere near getting in after 3 hours.

I have no knowledge of what’s going on but it does seem they’ve messed up something big style. Apparently it was all jammed up from 9am yesterday.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    To be clear.

I don't really care that much about the chaos, I'm retired and can pick and choose my times and where I go, but understand the frustration of others.

The bit that annoyed me was asking people to stagger their journey times. It's just laughable. You can organise that with say, 10 people sitting in a room, but 110k at the venue, HOW?

The older I get, the better I was.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    That Download traffic thing has been constant on the BBC R2 traffic bulletins yesterday and today. Entry pass tech fail? Will they have teargassing as per the Paris footie shenanigans last year?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Meanwhile...
    https://www.lancs.live/news/uk-world-news/pink-gig-total-utter-chaos-27078501?fbclid=IwAR15tA1MX_GAw2qw-KkRq-GsxiJus1-DDZkNLWJpxG-4SHpidT5Cw5pgcEQ

So apart from getting in and out of concerts being impossible...

Do have to say I regretted parking at Bolton Wanderers for a killers concert, total free for all leaving which just slows everything more than it needs to be. Plus they charged double the rate they do for match day parking and more than you ever pay in Manchester.