Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

High risk strategy if you don’t want other people’s bodily fluids in your food tbh

Complain and eat no more.
    Helps them, potentially saves you money and health.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

High risk strategy if you don’t want other people’s bodily fluids in your food tbh

A lot depends on the issue, I've been with people who have had something they asked to be left off / substituted being brought out and just accepted it. Sending something back because you think the chef hasn't done a very good job might be more risky. I haven't had to complain many times and when I have it has usually been because something has taken ages to turn up or been missed which usually gets an apology and sometimes a discount on the bill. If you're not going to complain to the staff don't moan about it to those dining with you.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,519
    I've properly complained twice... I once for a really shoddy meal (they were obviously short-staffed and were struggling in the kitchen) which they took 20% of the bill, and the other time which was so bad I just said that we were not going to eat the food, and we'd just pay for the drinks we'd already had. We went elsewhere, and have never been back.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525
    The only good thing about the new forum seems to have changed.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Go to this link instead:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussions
  • TheBigBean
    Excellent. Thank you.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Or click 'discussions' at the VERY top of the page (in blue toolbar)
  • TheBigBean
    It means scrolling to the top of the page though, so is still trivially annoying.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited June 2023
    Definitely what this thread is for, but you can only find it after needlessly clicking through stuff you didn't have to before. I'm with Bean on this one.
  • TheBigBean
    Back on the subject of eating out:
    - Restaurants that only have a QR code for a menu
    - Restaurants that make you pay the bill online
    - Waiters who ask people to taste the wine
    - Waiters who have learnt to ask about wine tasting, but can't twist the bottle to stop it dripping
    - Waiters who pour the wine
    - Waiters who interrupt the conversation to detail something irrelevant e.g. the chef's recommendations
    - People with allergies
    - Cream out of a spray can
    - Thinking that cream and ice cream are mutually exclusive
    - Offering deserts without a choice of custard, cream or ice cream
    - "Can I have the bill please?" with the response "Let me clear the table first"
    - Places that think burgers don't need to be fully cooked
    - A new place opening that sells either pizza or burgers
    - Leaving a restaurant feeling hungry after a tasty morsel.
    - An unsolicited "Still or sparkling?"
    - "You can only have the table for x hours, is it that ok?" Depends how quickly you bring the food
    - Double sittings
    - The absence of any soft material, so you can't hear anything in the clean, modern looking place
    - Needing to buy side dishes
    - The way it is not possible for a classy restaurant to have different portion sizes
    - Menus written in French. There is a word in English for sauté
    - French restaurants
    - Rise of pho, drowning out all the nice Vietnamese stuff

I should probably be a better cook. Think that's my lot.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,757
    What's the English word for sauté?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Fry?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

Jumped.
  • TheBigBean

I forgot. It even gets verbed. Sautéed, sautéing.
  • TheBigBean

Jumped.
    Very good. Is it something the spuds do?
  • Pross
    Can’t believe that amongst all that you haven’t got a gripe at food being served on anything other than a plate (or dish where appropriate).

Why is it no longer seemingly possible to have good quality food just served in a traditional way?

There’s a place near me that does nice food but for fish or meat you have to go to a deli counter and pick what you want and they charge you by weight, I just want to order bass (not ‘sea’ bass as they insist on calling it) and have a decent sized fillet served at the table.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Can’t believe that amongst all that you haven’t got a gripe at food being served on anything other than a plate (or dish where appropriate).

Why is it no longer seemingly possible to have good quality food just served in a traditional way?

There’s a place near me that does nice food but for fish or meat you have to go to a deli counter and pick what you want and they charge you by weight, I just want to order bass (not ‘sea’ bass as they insist on calling it) and have a decent sized fillet served at the table.

Good point. https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates

A few more.
    - Crockery on my plate. Basket of fries, lasagna dish etc.
    - Pies that are soup with pastry floating on top
    - Ketchup in sachets.
    - Shrimps with their shells on

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

- Waiters who have learnt to ask about wine tasting, but can't twist the bottle to stop it dripping
    - Waiters who interrupt the conversation to detail something irrelevant e.g. the chef's recommendations
    - People with allergies
    - "Can I have the bill please?" with the response "Let me clear the table first"
    - "You can only have the table for x hours, is it that ok?" Depends how quickly you bring the food
    - Double sittings
    - The absence of any soft material, so you can't hear anything in the clean, modern looking place
    - The way it is not possible for a classy restaurant to have different portion sizes
    - French restaurants

You really do eat at a wide variety of places!!

You should be more assertive with the wine waiter and answer “no” when asked if you would like to try the wine. I can not imagine how sh1t a place would need to be to just tip it in your glass.

Places that will not leave the bottle on the table would be a reason to refuse to go back
  • TheBigBean

- People with allergies
    - Double sittings
    - French restaurants

You really do eat at a wide variety of places!!

You should be more assertive with the wine waiter and answer “no” when asked if you would like to try the wine. I can not imagine how censored a place would need to be to just tip it in your glass.

Places that will not leave the bottle on the table would be a reason to refuse to go back
    I never order wine, so it is someone else inconveniencing me. Obviously good friends will do it just to annoy me. Of course there are more people who think the charade adds some value to their "experience", but that doesn't stop it being trivially annoying.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,757
    pangolin said:

Fry?
    That's different, the contact with hot oil/fat does the cooking, not the hot pan, so doesn't involve moving the stuff around as much in the pan, and more oil.
  • TheBigBean
    edited June 2023
  • Pross
    Having entered a few running races recently, finishers t shirts and medals. Like, I suspect, most people who start running I liked getting them at first to mark my first 5k / 10k / half / marathon or particular big events. However, I now have a third of my drawer space taken up by t shirts and so many medals that the thing I had them hanging on keeps falling over so I’ve chucked them in a box.

I seem to rotate through the same dozen or so better quality ones, some long sleeve ones that are great in winter and some bright ones when I run on roads with no pavement.

The races I entered yesterday had an option not to have the t shirt and donate the cost to charity but what I really want is an option to not have a t shirt or medal in return for a cheaper entry when a 10k is now costing £25 and a marathon about £60.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Last time I got t shirt at an event, it was a nylon thing which went straight in the bin. I never minded decent quality t shirts as it meant I never had to buy any. I’ve never had any time for finishers medals, they always went in a draw before heading for the bin.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Pross said:

Having entered a few running races recently, finishers t shirts and medals. Like, I suspect, most people who start running I liked getting them at first to mark my first 5k / 10k / half / marathon or particular big events. However, I now have a third of my drawer space taken up by t shirts and so many medals that the thing I had them hanging on keeps falling over so I’ve chucked them in a box.

I seem to rotate through the same dozen or so better quality ones, some long sleeve ones that are great in winter and some bright ones when I run on roads with no pavement.

The races I entered yesterday had an option not to have the t shirt and donate the cost to charity but what I really want is an option to not have a t shirt or medal in return for a cheaper entry when a 10k is now costing £25 and a marathon about £60.

Fell races tend not to involve any of that stuff. Trail races on the other hand tend to be triple the price and come with medals, Tshirts etc.

Always liked the Haweswater Half Marathon which gives you a tea mug...Full of hot tea at the finish.

The old Fred Whitton beer glasses were good to but they went by the wayside a few years back.

• pblakeney

Pross said:

Good point. https://twitter.com/WeWantPlates

A few more.
    - Crockery on my plate. Basket of fries, lasagna dish etc.
    - Pies that are soup with pastry floating on top
    - Ketchup in sachets.
    - Shrimps with their shells on

I'd add in bowls used when a standard plate would suffice and is easier to cut up food on instead of in. Then the ubiquitous slates and chopping boards, no need.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088

If I get served aerosol cream, it gets sent back and I never go back.

The problem for me is, I can cook. I love cooking and even served some time in catering so eating out is a minefield for me.
    I think 'if I could have cooked what I ate better at home, I resent paying the bill'.

Also, after 3 courses at a local restaurant last year, I came home hungry. The food and service was good but fcuk me, at £xxx pounds for 2 adults and 2 children during their happy hour, I want food, not some exhibition on a plate that won't fill me up.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    The most ridiculous meal I ever had was at a place called 'Stones' in Crediton, where, supposedly, one cooked one's own little morsels of food on, er, hot stones. Except the stones didn't stay hot enough for long enough, so they kept on having to bring more stones out. Oh, and the vegetarian option included prawns.

They closed about a month after opening.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Fell races tend not to involve any of that stuff. Trail races on the other hand tend to be triple the price and come with medals, Tshirts etc.

Always liked the Haweswater Half Marathon which gives you a tea mug...Full of hot tea at the finish.

The old Fred Whitton beer glasses were good to but they went by the wayside a few years back.

Yeah, I’ve done a few fell races. They’re usually about £5 and you get free soup or similar afterwards. One I did have a bottle of beer to all finishers that was named after the hill we ran up, it must retail at £3-4 a bottle. The last one I did the organiser made a profit so is dropping the entry fee next year, I think the rule is they can’t make a profit so if they do they tend to donate it to charity.

By contrast, one of the profit making companies that runs a lot of local road races took over running a 10k but when they realised they were going to lose money they cancelled and refuse to give a refund (they had to relent in the end under threats of legal action).
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2023
    pinno said:

I think 'if I could have cooked what I ate better at home, I resent paying the bill'.

This. I'd go as far as to say when in a restaurant I never order anything I'd cook at home. Grabbing a meal on the go is different to a planned meal out though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

I'd go as far as to say when in a restaurant I never order anything I'd cook at home. .
    Yes. I do that.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!